Places to Buy Domain/Hosting

Reaction score
Very nice and efficient company,

I use them all the time to register .co.uk domains for clients, at £6.09 you can't complain, just get some hosting and point the domain there and your set.

Chris

Reaction score
I've used them and then had some surprise amount jump onto my bank statement, so i rang them up and gave them a piece of my mind and they speeled on about something i asked for, which i never did, as i checked my signup contract i printed out after the order.

Anyway, think Postill has a good experience with 1&1.

I personally prefer 123-Reg

Reaction score
1&1 are perfect for what we wanted... our own email domain thingy... brilliant - cheap too!

Reaction score
Cheers chris, take it they are ok to get hosting from aswell? Might as well kill 2 birds with one stone and all that. They seem pretty reasonable.

Will i get some FTP program from them aswell?

Reaction score
always 123reg, they are cheap and it's easy to move domains in and out (not that you'd likely need or want to move it away from them!) :)

friends also like godaddy,. it's cheaper still..

Sil

Reaction score
Do y ou know if 123reg give you the FTP program? Or are you best using a different one? Can anyone recommend a good one and where to get it?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
bodhi said:
Do y ou know if 123reg give you the FTP program? Or are you best using a different one? Can anyone recommend a good one and where to get it?

WSFTP and Smart FTP are both free and useful.

I'd go for Smart FTP personally - www.smartftp.com

Reaction score
1&1 hosting packages look pretty good - they give you £400 worth of software free when you sign up so i guess that includes everything you need....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
1&1 hosting packages look pretty good - they give you £400 worth of software free when you sign up so i guess that includes everything you need....

What software did you get then?

I ask, as those DVD's you get free with magazines often claim to have hundreds of pounds worth of software on them.

I've often wondered how they do that for five or six quid - and you get a magazine as well... ;)

Reaction score
i don't know - I don't have a hosting package with them... only a domain and email package.

And magazines make all their money through advertising, not sales :)

Reaction score
Software

Found this on the website...
Software
Create your ideal website! 1&1 gives you £400 worth of free software to help you build an hard working website. The package includes everything you need to produce, enhance, promote and analyse your own website.
Full versions of Freeware & Software
NetObjects Fusion
Hello Engines!
Wise FTP
PhotoImpact
Ranking Toolbox
Further Software

NetObjects Fusion 8
NEW VERSION! Build a sophisticated, full featured site in minutes! The all-new Fusion 8 offers more control and more features but still provides a simple, user-friendly way to build a website without HTML programming.
PhotoImpact XL SE
NEW VERSION! PhotoImpact XL SE is a total image editor for digital photography, creative design and web graphics. PhotoImpact XL SE provides a comprehensive set of tools for web users who want professional results without the steep learning curve.
Hello Engines! 4.0
Hello Engines! has received numerous awards for best software in its field. Register your Internet presence with all major search engines. Enter your personal details and Hello Engines! registers your website with hundreds of search engines! New search engines are regularly added to the program, which can be updated using an integrated function.
Ranking Toolbox 3.0
The Ranking Toolbox is a unique collection of new and efficient tools, with which you can maximise the success of your website. Highlights: The Analysis-Module dynamically analyses search machines and posts ranking criteria. The Optimisation-Module gives you a clear appraisal and offers helpful tips for optimisation. The Ranking-Module compares your own position with those of your competitors.
Wise-FTP 3.0
Specially tailored for 1&1 customers, WISE-FTP is the ideal program to transfer your website to the 1&1 server. This new edition of the powerful FTP program is simple to use and contains all the latest functions for transferring files and directories.

1&1 Software Collection

MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER & OUTLOOK EXPRESS
Microsoft Internet Explorer - together with the e-mail client Outlook Express - offers you all the functions you need to explore the Internet.
An animated Flash guide will help you configure Outlook Express.

NETSCAPE
Netscape 7.1, the latest edition of the popular browser, accurately displays complex pages with nested tables. All the functions of the previous version are still there, like 'My Sidebar', a freely configurable function bar. Also integrated are a translation program, a communications client (Net2Phone), and a download manager. New are a multi-document display to save desktop space and a reworked e-mail client.

OPERA
Opera supports CSS, Java (through the Sun Java plug-in), Java-Script SSL, and TLS.

ADOBE READER
The new Adobe Reader allows you to view, navigate, browse, and print portable document format (PDF) files that have been created by Adobe Acrobat.

OPENOFFICE.ORG
OpenOffice.org is an Open Source Project with the purpose of creating a leading international office suite that will run on all major platforms and provide access to all functionality and data through open-component based APIs and an XML-based file format.

REALONE
RealOne Player can do everything: Rendering of over 50 file types, including Windows Media™, QuickTime® Mpeg-4, and DVD, burning MP3-CDs with AutoPlaylists, extended Audio Controls, receipt of over 3000 radio stations worldwide, and much more!

MICROSOFT MEDIAPLAYER
Windows Media Player consists of several features in a single application: a CD player, an audio and video player, a media jukebox, a media guide, an Internet radio tuner, a portable device that you can transfer music files to, and an audio CD burner. These software programs are combined into one easy-to-use application designed to make playing digital media an enjoyable experience.

IRFAN VIEW
Irfan View is a very quick 32-Bit graphic viewer.

CYBERKIT
CyberKit is a collection of network tools for Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME. It includes Ping, TraceRoute, Finger, Whois, Quote of the Day, NSLookUp, Time Synchronizer, PortScanner, NetInfo, and MailChecker. Also it has a "keep-alive" function to keep your net connection alive when dealing with certain restrictive ISPs.

PUTTY
PuTTY is a free SSH client for logging on to servers in an encrypted way. It enables you to create and edit files directly on the server. You create the files directly in your web space and save them there so that all changes are made immediately on the Internet.

WINSCP
WinSCP is a freeware SCP (Secure Copy) client for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP using SSH (Secure Shell). Its main function is safe copying of files between a local and a remote computer.
Please note you need a SSH access included in your package.

All software is only available for PC's: Windows 95/98/NT/2000/Me and XP are supported. Shipping charges apply.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
And magazines make all their money through advertising, not sales :)

I know :rolleyes: My comment was intended to be somewhat sarcastic and tongue in cheek ;)

As for that software, as I suspected, the greater majority, if not all, is available free anyway.

I don't know how they have the cheek to call it four hundred quid's worth.

Still, as they say, there's one born every minute...

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Yes, the majority of the software is free - type the program names into google, and find thier site, and you should be able to download most of them FREE-OF-CHARGE, although some may be shareware (which may require a reg fee after a trial period, this is only a few though from what i recall). So, just download them all and find hosting with any respectable company you like the look of.
Incedentally I have been looking at 1&1 for domains mainly, but their full hosting and domain packages look very inviting and quite reasonably priced :)

Ask a Question