Forum Hosting Help!

Reaction score
Alright All,

Me and a mate setup a forum just over a year and a half ago.
after all the hard work of building it up, we've now lost it (thats what you get with using a free hosting service :( )

We were originally using proboards, but now have decided to use PHPbb

Would anyone be kind enough to give some advice on hosting solutions, i havent a clue where to start and for what im looking, im also looking to purchase a domain name with it.

Cheers

Matt..

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh no :( Did you have any database backups from the free hosting service, as if you do you could restore it to your own hosted version.

You'll need to know how much space and bandwidth you consume to pick a hosting package, but you'll definitely need something that has PHP and MySQL support. I've used Kualo.com in the past and they were excellent, and they'll probably have a package to suit (it would only be a few quid a month for a basic package I'd think).

For domains, you can normally get one through whichever host you go for - but it's often cheaper to buy one through a dedicated registrar. My personal choice is Godaddy.com, as they have always been helpful and are cheap as chips. Easily.co.uk is a good UK alternative too (I use them for the pcreview.co.uk domain).

Reaction score
thanks for the reply Ian,

unfortunatly no there wasnt a backup, everyone on the forum i know personally and have other means of contact with them so getting members back wont be a problem.

The forum is a gaming forum for the PS3 and PC, its peak time is monday to fridays 9-5
i dont think ill need mega space, decent amount of bandwidth would be useful though.

thanks for the links, ill check them out.

thanks again!

Reaction score
I thought that was funny, peak time for a gaming forum was M-F 9-5... says a lot doesn't it (or is that just me?)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Brummie Broad said:
I thought that was funny, peak time for a gaming forum was M-F 9-5... says a lot doesn't it (or is that just me?)

They are probably doing useful stuff at work like discussing game strategy etc ready for playing when not at work. Thats efficient use of man hours
laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question