Need a good free picture hosting facility

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I always used to host pictures I wanted to post on Forums at Bitbenderforums or my Zen ISP account but as I've pretty much stopped going to BBF and I'm no longer with Zen I have nowhere to put my pix for linking to.

I want to put some items up for sale on an audio forum that doesn't have a picture posting facility so I'm wondering which site is not necessarily the best but the easiest to use? I tried Imgur and couldn't work out at all how to use it and if that makes me daft as a brush so be it.

I've looked at Flckr and Google Photo - any good? Easy to Use? Can link to using [ img ] and [ / img ]tags?

Any recommendations and/or advice appreciated.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
They have altered IMGUR's home page somewhat. Once you have joined, on the right hand side you find your account button.

vQ7RK1J.jpg

Click ALBUMS and you end up like so

3gcrfUt.jpg

Find the album you want or create a new one

AES4JtJ.jpg

Click ADD MORE IMAGES

fqq209b.jpg

This will open up a window, find your folder with images and if you want to load several images all at once, highlight them and they will all be uploaded

pAQEzDX.jpg

I'll leave you to figure out the rest.

My bugbear with Imgur is that you used to get the link from them with a .jpg extension. Now you get the link but with no extension and you have to manually add the .jpg when posting here.

:cool:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Imgur would be best for what you want.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, another vote for Imgur from me too :). It's really quick and simple (and free!).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Finally got round to trying imgur. Created an account, created 2 albums (selected public option for each), added 6 pictures to one of those albums.

Click on my user name top right and click on 'albums' and get - absolutely nothing. Anybody any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
If the images aren't appearing it might be worth checking that you've made them public - I seem to remember it being a separate step (ie not automatic when you upload).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If the images aren't appearing it might be worth checking that you've made them public - I seem to remember it being a separate step (ie not automatic when you upload).

I created two albums and selected the public option when I made them, is there another option to make the pictures within them public? I'll have a look but I would have assumed pictures in a public album would also be public.

My problem is when I click on 'albums' from my user name drop down menu I don't see any albums, just a window on the right saying I have two albums and a multi-lined moving circling series of circles on my top left.

Let's give it another go, I'll see if it's still the same...

Will also try this in Linux, I'm wondering if it could be a Windows Ten thing.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Still the same. And yes, seems I signed up 11 months ago but had never tried using it.

imgurnoalbums.JPG

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That is showing you that the site is still loading. Must be some problem with your Windows 10 settings as the site works fine with FF on Linux. :cool:

Now now, let's not make unproven assumptions, I'm well aware you consider Microsoft the antichrist and all flavours Linux (the harder to operate the better) pure ambrosia but let's wait until I've tried it shall we?

It could just as well be a problem at Imgur's end. We shall see.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Imgur works fine for me using Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 64 Bit.

So I'm wondering just what is it Microsoft have done within Windows 10 to put the kibosh on this facility?

Here's a pic link of one of my pix within Imgur:

https://imgur.com/mD1gVOU

So if I put img tags on it...

It doesn't work. Well, Imgur's no good for me at all then is it.

mD1gVOU

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Click on the thumbnail of the image you want to post, and:

TwBvQsh.png

Ask a Question