Free website to host a domain?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First off, let me say I'm quite clueless when it comes to this subject but basically I have a registered domain name and I want to create some email addresses using it.

I phoned the helpline at my ISP supplier (Zen) and they told me I need somewhere to host the domain and I could use their facility named 'C-Panel' but that would involve a rental charge.

I asked if a free web site service would suffice and the tech person replied they thought it would.

So, can anybody here recommend a good and simple to use service for setting up a web site and also how do I use my registered domain name and set up email addresses?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What is the difference, and which one do I need ... Domain, Hosting, Website ... all of them.

A Website is hosted using a domain name that you can send emails to. ;)

I have used ... https://www.1and1.co.uk/free-domain ... read the small print carefully, heck, read the big print carefully also ... look under Mail section first. :)

You'll get what you pay for. :wave:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
If you have your own domain name you could use a VPS and run an e-mail from that. I was looking at these folk as they are not USA based and look pretty cheap for my needs.

https://hostsailor.com/vps-hosting/openvz-vps/

WOT.png

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I looked at Mucks' links, I understand the whole concept, kinda, as if it was a block diagram, but I'm still clueless :confused:

My primary concern is to get email addresses with my domain name but a website would be a good idea, I spoke to a potential customer on the phone today and one of the first things he asked was 'Do you have a website?'

But I'm skint atm and it seems the cheapest website design costs in the region of £400. I do know a website designer, Suki is her name, perhaps I should drop her an email with an enquiry.

From what I've gleaned so far though, there's going to be money involved, isn't there?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... there's going to be money involved, isn't there?

yep!

especially if you want to put across a 'business' aspect ... you should be able to get away with a simple 1 page site, make sure you can add later ... :)

:user:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Who did you register the domain name with? Some registrars will offer free e-mail hosting (and perhaps even very basic domain hosting).

You could always use a service like Wix.com, as that'll give you the ability to design the site yourself (they make it really easy to use their templates from the looks of things) and it even looks like there are free plans. I'd also think they would offer e-mail hosting alongside their hosting. If you go down the cpanel route, it'll be a lot more work to manage hosting and upload files, patch things, etc... (although it'll be very flexible if you want to do advanced stuff).

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
Could always set up a Google Apps account and point the mx records there.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback all but I'm still none the wiser, not really, daft as a brush I am :D

What does 'point the mx records there' mean? :confused:

Ian, my domain is registered with Zen, I believe I pay them to renew it every two years. When I asked Zen how to set up email addresses using the registered domain name they offered to hire me a 'control panel' whatever that is.

I may well have to go this route if it's not too expensive.

In the meantime I shall look at this Wix thingie to maybe just set up a personal website.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
my domain is registered with Zen, I believe I pay them to renew it every two years. When I asked Zen how to set up email addresses using the registered domain name they offered to hire me a 'control panel' whatever that is.
I just wondered whether you have checked-out Zen's "Help" section on Web Hosting @floppybootstomp? It contains quite a lot of info, for both Linux and Windows here. https://www.zen.co.uk/support/web-hosting.aspx
It explains their Mail Forwarding thing quite well, amongst other topics. (My apologies if you've already been there.)
What does 'point the mx records there' mean? :confused:
An MX record tells senders how to send email for your domain. (Okay, I admit it, I checked a wiki :blush:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for that reply Ms Taff, must confess I haven't pursued much info on my own ISP's site, perhaps I should... :blush:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks for that reply Ms Taff, must confess I haven't pursued much info on my own ISP's site, perhaps I should... :blush:
That is understandable Sir Floppington! They seem to have an awful lot of info, which isn't always easy to find. But good luck, hope you will find something helpful there. :nod:

Ask a Question