Free scanning software wanted

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was recently given an A3 scanner, a Mustek SE A3 USB 600 Pro. The PSU didn't work but it was a common 12V 500mA 'wall brick' and I have a couple of spare ones of those so no prob.

The drivers were still available so I downloaded and installed those and the scanner works fine in Win 10.

However, although the drivers included limited scanning software, they do not have an option to choose individual areas of the scan review so are not of much use to me.

With this in mind I searched for some free scanning software and came across something called 'Paper Scan Free' so I downloaded that. Further searches failed to find anything negative about this software and it was hosted on Softonic who are usually trustworthy but when I looked at the download file it was only a few kilobytes and is an *.exe file.

This started alarm bells ringing as this file is probably a link to a site to install the software directly to my machine. And that, as we all know, could be a nasty just waiting to dig its claws in.

What I'd like to ask then is if anybody has had any experience of this software and if so is it ok or does anybody know of a (free) alternative?

I've scanned the *.exe file with Malwarebytes and Windows Defender and both give it the all clear but I don't think that proves anything as the file is probably just a link.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The Zip file for that software is available direct from their website and clocks in as 12mb - should be the real thing that way (although you need to enter some details first). I've not used this software before though, so can't comment on how good it is.

https://paperscan.orpalis.com/paperscanfree/

I normally just scan using the Windows 10 default software (called Windows Fax and Scan), as I rarely scan things these days. It's fine for one off things, but if you're doing a lot then something better may be more use.

Last edited:

Ask a Question