Whatsapp on multiple computers

Reaction score
Having used Whatsapp on my phone for some time I downloaded it onto my PC so that I could access it from there.
Here comes the problem - some time later I thought it would be good to have it on my laptop too, so I downloaded it and managed to get it working on that too . This, using a QR code and my phone.
I subsequently found that it was no longer working on my PC - I didn't know you can only have it on two devices!!!
I've subsequently removed it from the laptop but I can no longer get it to work on my PC.
I don't usually use QR codes so am not too familiar with their use. I can't get it to read the QR code from my phone. Following the instructions I get the code in the frame on my phone and it comes back with 'Use the whatsapp Web scanner to scan this QR code'. I hit ok and it just repeats the message.
Any ideas why it wont work?
Any help welcome.
Biscuitman

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Might be worth uninstalling the app from your PC and trying to install it again via the Windows Store (rather than the standalone .exe download, which may not patch itself):

I've had problems with whatsapp desktop occasionally, but I do have it installed on multiple PCs, so it should be possible.

Reaction score
Having not used QR codes before I'm clearly doing something pretty basic wrong!
When I go to Whatsapp web on my phone it says....log out fom all devices - should I do that? Will it log me out from my phone or just 'other' devices? You can clearly see I don't know what I'm doing.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think you'll need to log out of all devices, just install Whatsapp Desktop on all the PCs you want it on and then it should show a QR code on the monitor if it isn't already logged in. Once you see that, load Whatsapp on your phone, and go to the "..." menu > then "whatsapp web". Then, point the phone camera at your computer screen to scan the QR code and it'll authorise it.

I've got 2 PCs listed on my devices menu, so it's definitely possible to add more than one.

Reaction score
I've already tried that and it physically wont let me. I'm in the UK ( not sure where you're based) and it's definitely telling me I can only have it on two devices which I think is still the problem. I believe if I do what it says on my phone and log off this other device it might let me do it - as long as it doesn't delete it off my phone. I think the problem might be I've uninstalled both Whatsapps on my two computers without logging out. Perhaps they've changed the number of permitted devices since you set yours up. Originally after a few atempts the QR code worked on my laptop but I found it had stopped me from using it on my PC.
Sorry to be a nuisance but I really don't want to lose it off my phone as I use it all the time to contact my daughter and family who are 500 miles away.

Reaction score
I took the risk of deleting the remaining 'other device' identified on my phone and hey presto it let me scan the QR code immedialetly giving me access to Whatsapp as it was before on my PC. Phew!!
Sorry for being a bit of a pain but thanks for your time - I don't know what I'd do without you guys - makes me feel I'm not alone.

Reaction score
Hello! I have been a user of whatsapp for almost 5 years(?), not really sure. It is as old as my mobile phone number ha ha ha. So, I was/am a bit relieved knowing full well that it has what it is called an end-to-end encryption. This feature makes the app more secure and safer than other communication apps. The thing is, I am not quite sure how “secured” and “safe” it is. I am hoping that someone could clear this one out for me in layman’s term.

Ask a Question