Dell Support Assist

Reaction score
Hi this might be a stupid question, but I'm always worried about downloading new updates to my computer in case anything significant goes wrong!!
I've checked on both my Dell Laptop (fairly new) and my Dell PC (one year old) and they both have recommended updates to Drivers and downloads.
Is it safe - what could possibly go wrong?
I ask because I downloaded a new version of Windows 10 - as instructed by microsoft - and it took many hours overnight and then it left me with small but very annoying problems. Ie Pop ups like Intel Optane Memory Pinning with an annoying Ping. (I've looked up solutions and I'm afraid they're well above my paygrade!)
I realise they're totally different companies (aren't they?) but I thought I'd check with you experts out there.
Thanks
Biscuitman

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Biscuitman,

Sounds like you and I are of a similar level of aptitude. I am definitely NOT a techie but stumble along in my own limited way. If I get problems I have often asked for help on this very forum and fortunately have almost always resolved the issues.

As to downloading new updates, I always feel that something might well go wrong but I go ahead with Windows 10 and Lenovo (my PC) updates anyway. Luckily, my Lenovo updates have never caused any issues whatsoever but occasionally the Windows 10 updates have caused a few minor irritations afterwards. These have always been fairly easy to rectify, even for a simpleton like me, but I have always rested easy knowing that I can undo all the changes if necessary or get help from this forum or even by contacting Microsoft, all of which I have done in the past.

I once had the option to download a program that checked all the drivers for all the programs on my PC and it came up with about 15 drivers that, supposedly, needed updating. When I went ahead to update all these drivers I ran into all sorts of problems but I was able to use the "Restore" system to simply go back to a time before the update. It worked perfectly and nothing was lost. I have never tried this again and am now of the opinion that if the non-Windows and non-Lenovo drivers seem to be working OK then they do not need fixing.

That's my take on things.

Niv

Reaction score
Thanks nivrip. I'm coming to the same conclusion as you - 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
It is never a good idea to update drivers of your pc or laptop from a third party. Stick to the drivers provided by the PC maker/Microsoft as they tweak it based on the hardware you have and also compatibility wise with other software that is installed on your machine.

Reaction score
Returning to this issue 9 months later.......
I still run my Support Assist software on my PC and laptop and it does all the usual 'checks and balances' but also tells me there are updates to download and install. I've tried this several times on both 'machines' and it downloads them but always fails to install them.
Both devices seem to continue operating OK - any ideas why they wont install these updates having downloaded them?

Reaction score
Returning to this issue another 4 months later.....
5 new updates on Dell Support Assist - download, try to install and all fail.
Any idea what my problem is?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Any idea what my problem is?
The probably not there.

go get ...

BLEEPINGCOMPUTER REVIEW:​

PC Decrapifier is a program that scans your computer for programs that are commonly installed on new computers, otherwise known as crapware, and allows you to easily remove them. In order to generate additional revenue, many manufacturers preinstall 3rd party programs on new computers. These programs use up hard drive space and consume memory and CPU resources. This causes your computer to not operate as fast as it should be.

This is where a program like PC Decrapifier comes into the rescue. PC Decrapifier will scan your computer for common preinstalled programs and other products that are considered crapware. You then have the ability to select the programs you wish to uninstall and with the click of a button automatically uninstall them.

I highly recommend you get rid of 'that' Dell Support Assist software. :rolleyes:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Mucks, I looked up PC Decrapifier and only found this..........
Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 16.56.42.jpg

Even on Bleeping Computer there is nothing after 2018. Any alternative?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

Ask a Question