Unmountable Boot Volume-solution for Dell Inspiron 6400 XP

Reaction score
A solution that worked for my Dell Inspiron 6400 XP professional SP 3.

As I do not have (like most of us) the XP installation disk (it was preinstalled on my laptop), I discovered (by pure inspiration !!!) that when pressing the Dell Media Direct button (instead of pressing the "power" button !!) I could boot and actually see all the folders of my laptop (those containing media files (photos, videos) I could even play them). After browsing the folders containing media files (photos, movies) I clicked "exit" and my laptop powered off. After that I pressed the "power" button and my laptop booted normally. I am not sure but it may be that the BSOD Unmountable Boot Volume error appeared after I installed the Slim Cleaner applcation. After I was able to boot again into my laptop I uninstalled Slim Cleaner and run the “chkdsk /r” . I do not know the explanation for this workaround (I am not an IT guru) but I just wanted to share with those using Dell Inspiron 6400 with Dell Media Direct !!!) this possible solution that worked for me. Maybe I am wrong but it could be that this solution worked due to the fact that Dell Media Direct is located on a separate partition (I have three partitions on my Dell Inspiron 6400) allowing thus the booting. One question : should I run the recovery console “chkdsk /p “ and “fixboot c:” commands to test the boot sector or not ? Waiting for feedback from IT experts. Thanks.

Ask a Question