Phonecalls cause internet drop-outs

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Recently, whenever the phone (landline) is used, we lose internet connection for a minute or two. It's not really a biggie, but darned annoying if one happens to be in the middle of something when it occurs.

It usually fails after the phone is answered, then again on ending the call. (It doesn't appear to be the ring-tone that causes it.) It happens with both in-coming and out-going calls.

The phone is a Panasonic KX-TG8422EB DECT (this one) - we've been using it since November 2010, without problems. The only thing to change since then, would be that we switched to Premium Home (LLU) on 1st February this year... which ties-in with when the problem began.

The connection is via a Netgear DGN2200 router (hard-wired, not using the wireless option) which was purchased just a week or two prior to the switch to LLU.

I'm guessing that it's not a co-incidence that problems began just after the switch-over.

Is this something we just have to "live with" do you think..? Or could there be a solution that I'm missing?

Thanks very much for looking. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
LLU (or ADSL2+) is much more susceptible to noise than ADSL is, so it may well be niose on the line causing a problem. However this kind of fault is generally caused by a faulty or dying filter. Try changing one and see if it fixes it, better still try a filtered face plate like this...

http://www.adslnation.com/products/index.php

I use one my self and they are much better than filter, and look a lot a lot better too. :)

EDIT: Also, try doing the quiet line test (Dial 17070, option 2) see if you can hear any noise on the line. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
hmmm, it's my understanding that LLU (local loop unbinding) is just some other company that has installed their own equipment in a BT exchange, in accordance with Oftcom's "wishes" to stifle BT's monopoly. :)

I would check the ISP's help pages or give them a phone call.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies :D

V_R, I've just tried the quiet line test (thanks for sharing the number) and it seemed to be good. Couldn't hear any sounds at all.

The filter change was also do-able... I had a new spare lying around, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Possibly worth getting another to try on the off-chance that both of them have a fault/ (Okay, a tad unlikely perhaps, but I certainly don't mind experimenting.)

Ah, I'd really love to get a new filtered face-plate ... but we still have the old, C1970s "lozenge" shaped BT box. :blush: Getting that changed would probably mean getting one of BT's super-expensive engineer call-outs.

Mucks, I did consider giving the ISP a call, but thought I'd best check to see if there was anything I should try first.

Thanks very much for all the advice, I appreciate it. :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
If it's that old, I suggest you call your ISP & ask them what it will cost, if anything, to replace ... If you is on LLU then they, your ISP, can change it for you. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
If it's that old, I suggest you call your ISP & ask them what it will cost, if anything, to replace ... If you is on LLU then they, your ISP, can change it for you. :)
That's interesting Mucks, I didn't know they could do that. TBH, we've been thinking of switching our phone line-rental to them... for quite some time actually. So perhaps it's time that we did.

Just out of interest... the faceplate could not be fitted to our much more modern extension socket, could it..? :confused:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you have the new(loads of tinywires) type of cable going into your lozenge then you coud replace it with this.

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=105

I swapped my lozenge a few years ago for a more modern one I found in a skip. Changed the siteing of the socket ie from one side of the room to the other side. The BT man never batted as eye when he came to upgrade the junction on the pole outside and tested my connection for me.

As long as you pay your bill they do not really care what you do.

Fitting is easy.

:D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
hmmm, it's my understanding that LLU (local loop unbinding) is just some other company that has installed their own equipment in a BT exchange, in accordance with Oftcom's "wishes" to stifle BT's monopoly. :)

I would check the ISP's help pages or give them a phone call.

Yep, sorry i replied in hurry, Local Loop Unbundling is when an ISP puts its own equipment in the exchange, which is all most always for an ADSL2+ service. It would be pointless installing their equipment if its only gong to be a MAX product. ;)

Also i am with the same ISP as TC so i know what services they offer.

Thank you for the replies :D

V_R, I've just tried the quiet line test (thanks for sharing the number) and it seemed to be good. Couldn't hear any sounds at all.

The filter change was also do-able... I had a new spare lying around, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Possibly worth getting another to try on the off-chance that both of them have a fault/ (Okay, a tad unlikely perhaps, but I certainly don't mind experimenting.)

Ah, I'd really love to get a new filtered face-plate ... but we still have the old, C1970s "lozenge" shaped BT box. :blush: Getting that changed would probably mean getting one of BT's super-expensive engineer call-outs.

Mucks, I did consider giving the ISP a call, but thought I'd best check to see if there was anything I should try first.

Thanks very much for all the advice, I appreciate it. :D

I'm sure i've read on places like the TBB forums that BT have replaced peoples older equipment for no charge, though i cant remember the details, but as said it would be worth a shot asking ADSL24 or BT. But i'd ask the former first as BT can be, or rather are, useless! :)

Are you in a fibre area? I know almost for certain that if you were to take up a FTTC service your internal wiring would be overhauled. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
try doing the quiet line test (Dial 17070, option 2) see if you can hear any noise on the line. :)

Tried this. Am I supposed to get a dial tone and then the sound of the dialling? I get nothing at all. :blush:

Is this just for peeps on BT?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
It should be a quiet line with a voice saying 'Quiet Line test' or similar every now and again..

Not sure if it just BT, it maybe.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
V_R said:
Are you in a fibre area? I know almost for certain that if you were to take up a FTTC service your internal wiring would be overhauled. :)
It's available in some parts of the town, but not shown as being available on the ISP's checker. But, having said that, FTTC is capped by a monthly allowance (only 15 GB peak, for the amount we currently pay for an unlimited LLU connection.... Not so speedy, of course, but pretty good.)

Meanwhile... I've ordered a couple of ADSL Nation XF-1e Microfilters, just to see if they make a difference. :)

nivrip said:
Tried this. Am I supposed to get a dial tone and then the sound of the dialling? I get nothing at all. :blush:
When I tried it earlier, there was a ringtone, then an (automated) woman's voice gave some options. After pressing "2" the line went completely quiet, with the woman's voice intermittently announcing that it was quiet line test - just as V_R described.
:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
... with the woman's voice intermittently announcing that it was quiet line test
typical woman, can't keep quiet. :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
The new filters were delivered today and I've just fitted them. We've tested the phone on an outgoing call and then an in-coming one... internet stayed connected each time! Yay! It's looking as if the filters have done the trick .......... but watch this space. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've been through a similar scenario twice, plugged modem straight into master socket, made no difference, replaced filter, that was the fault. Used the quiet line test as well and it was... quiet. Second time the extension socket that modem is plugged into has gone dead, am currently using extension socket to other phone point in living room. To get to the faulty socket I have to move half of vinyl record collection and computer desk so the investigation is somewhat delayed ;)

Fingers crossed for you TC, let's hope it's fixed :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks guys (and also for the suggestions/help.)

I'm a tad embarrassed to say that our telephone wiring is decidedly Heath Robinson! lol. From that small BT "lozenge" I mentioned, (situated in the living room) we have a long wire leading to a fixed extension box in the hall. From that, we have a telephone extension reel which runs into the computer-room, into which one of the filters is plugged!

Sometimes I'm surprised that we can connect to the internet at all! :blush: But, the connection is usually very stable. I daresay speeds could improve if we got the wiring sorted-out, but we get an average of 6.22 Mbps down/1.09Mbps up - sometimes a smidge more, (on a good day with a following wind...) :D

Reaction score
I had this problem and it went on for weeks. We tried everything and Talk Talk were useless. Changed to sky and problem vanished.

Ask a Question