PC Screwed Over By Virus (??) :(

Reaction score
Hi all...

I think my computer has been screwed over by some kind of malicious programming...

It plain wont boot - as soon as it gets to where the windows welcome screen is it just goes tick, and restarts.

I have un-overclocked everything... and been to safe mode (which works fine) and run MS-Anti Spyware and also Adaware then removed everything it turned up (things like browser hijacking etc) yet still windows wouldn't work. Norton is running at the moment...

Thank god for Safe Mode with Networking - at least i can get my important files if i need to start over.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can fix my PC without reinstalling windows? that would be a right shame :( i have so much stuff on there!

Thanks all

Chris

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You may have a virus, but it doesn't sound like it to be honest. Did the virus scans in safe mode turn up anything? If not, you probably don't - they are pretty good :) Perhaps try another one, or an online one just to be sure.

Have you tried running system restore to a couple of days ago? Any registry error or corrupt oddity should be fixed by this, and it can easily be undone if not. It can't be too bad if safemode works, which is good news!

Reaction score
I dont know if any recent restore backups have been made?

I wont know what it turns up until i'm home :(

Reaction score
i got a virus and i rolled back to the week before no problems. I didnt have a backup so i guess it makes them automatically

Reaction score
Hmm...

Thanks for the advice guys

I did as suggested and found i had a recent system restore point - i rolled back and everything seems to working just fine and dandy.

Weird.

Cheers :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Thank god for Safe Mode with Networking - at least i can get my important files if i need to start over.
Back-up Back-up Back-up Back-up

Ask a Question