PC locks up on OS install.

Reaction score
Hi,

New here! I hope one of you fine folks can help! :)

I've got an old PC that caught a virus a couple of years ago and pretty much died. The virus was a BIOS one although at the time I thought I had a hard drive fault.

Anyway, long story short, I ended up buying a new machine.

On and off, I've returned to the old machine to try and resurrect it.

There's no virus anymore (I somewhat embarrassingly identified it as Chernobyl) - I've flushed the BIOS and zero-filled the hard drive at least a couple of times each.

However, each time I try and install an OS, the machine freezes or bombs out. I've tried XP, RedHat 9 and Ubuntu. The first two seem to bomb out at the point of actually writing files to the hard drive with an "unknown error". The latter gets 79% through the install and freezes when trying to "configure Linux i386". I can, however, happily boot and run Ubuntu from the live CD (NB this is a way to try Ubuntu out without installing anything - it all runs in memory). I've tried the manufacturer's recovery CD but it fails due to the loss of the BIOS tattooing and they don't support recovery from viruses in any way.

I'd really like to get this machine running again, not least 'cos I think it's a waste to have a reasonably spec'd machine go to the tip. I also have plans to extend the use of our home network (audio streaming, etc) and it'd be nice to have the machine as a file server.

It's an Evesham Axis 1.7GHz Athlon with 512 MB DDR RAM. I've tried three different HDDs, a ten-year-old 2GB thing, the 40GB Fujitsu that the PC came with (which, as above, has been blasted with a low level formatter) and a brand new 120GB one. The motherboard is an Asus A7A266.

I wonder if the BIOS settings are wrong, but don't really know enough about them to know where to look and what to look for. Not sure what else it could be.

Any advice gratefully received. It'll probably be tomorrow night before I can try anything out!

Thanks,

J.

Reaction score
Go here>http://support.asus.com/
follow the instructions fully
And welcome onboard
happywave.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm probably being a bit dim - are you suggesting I register there and ask the same question or is your link not quite right and it should be taking me to a ten-step set of precise instructions on how to recover my machine? ;) No offence meant, but I'm still unsure whether my probs are BIOS related or not so don't know exactly where I should be looking on the Asus site.

Thanks,

J.

Reaction score
furrypop said:
Sorry, I'm probably being a bit dim - are you suggesting I register there and ask the same question or is your link not quite right and it should be taking me to a ten-step set of precise instructions on how to recover my machine? ;) No offence meant, but I'm still unsure whether my probs are BIOS related or not so don't know exactly where I should be looking on the Asus site.

Thanks,

J.

Look at the Download section >select your MOBO and save the flash BIOS to floppy insert the floppy in the drive of the busted PC and run> that will set the bios update the PC will or should boot up install the OS and away you go, mind you its easier said than done so good luck;)

Reaction score
I've already flashed the BIOS (admittedly some time ago now), this is how I know that the virus is gone. Are later releases of the BIOS more likely to be successful for some reason?

J.

Reaction score
furrypop said:
I've already flashed the BIOS (admittedly some time ago now), this is how I know that the virus is gone. Are later releases of the BIOS more likely to be successful for some reason?

J.
Sometimes but not always you have nothing to loose as you PC has an old model MOBO it can be a difficult task.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm interested to know what 'flushed the BIOS' means unless of course it's a typo and you meant 'flashed the BIOS'.

I suspect a Bios problem, something to do with the hard disk settings.

Does the Bios see any of the hard disks you've tried cos it should do.

Enter the Bios and see. Mess around with the settings, you have nothing to lose really ;)

And make sure the hard disk jumper setting is set correctly, assuming it's a PATA disk.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Test your memory ... ;)

If you "reset" the BIOS, using the onboard jumper, then you will find you need to go reset things back up ... set most things to Auto, or Auto detect ... make sure your HD is set to master via its own jumper.

user.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Yeah - I meant flashed the bios :blush:

When I tried last night, the PC would recognise the 2GB drive, but not the 40GB (although it recognised it some months ago, the last time I tried to resolve this problem). The jumpers look OK. I've got a USB enclosure now and will test the latter drive with my other (working) PC.

I'll play around with it. Is there a setting in the BIOS to do with HDD disk speed perhaps?

J

Last edited:

Ask a Question