PC hanging during xp setup

Reaction score
Hi again all,

Another PC, another problem.

Ok, got a genuine Windows XP Pro with SP2 OEM CD, installing it on the following system:

Gigabyte K8VT800 PRO
Athlon 64 3400+
1024mb Crucial Ram (2 x 512mb)
Maxtor 250gb SATA HDD
Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256mb GFX Card
Cobra Case with Raidmax 500w PSU

So heres what happened:

Configured SATA etc in bios, ran windows setup from CD rom, formatted HDD with quick format, after format was complete setup began copying files, it got to 11% (Driver.cab) and would not continue. Ok, so i tried again with a full format, but same thing again, tried it one more time and it got stuck at 2% this time. Next i tried with 1 stick of ram, it crashed formatting at 20%, tried with the other stick of ram, it crashed at 100% formatting. Put both sticks back in, tried again, and once again it got stuck at 11% copying files. Have no idea what the problem is, there are no usb devices etc plugged in, standard ps2 keyboard and mouse, at a loss here. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this problem?

Many thanks in advance

Meki

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, its a brand new XP CD, straight out the cover sleeve, cd appears to be ok

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Check the HD in another PC, if you can.

Reaction score
Ok, tried a new HDD, tried a new CD-Rom drive. The PC just hangs randomly, can be before or during the file copy process, a couple of times it has crashed after the screen where it says "Setup is loading files xxx" (couple of mins), then hangs at the message "Setup is starting windows"

The Processor is running at around 48/49/50 degrees celcius. Should be fine. As far as the power goes i cant see any problems.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ok, I did not say this before as you are using an SP2 disk, but you may have to press "F6" to install RAID/SATA drivers from a floppy disk.

Don't do a 'quick' format, do it properly and it will make sure there is no initial HD problem.

;)

Reaction score
thing is i have also tried installing me a normal ATA hard drive and the error still occured.

Any other suggestions?

Appreciate the help

muckshifter

Reaction score
Mekismo said:
thing is i have also tried installing me a normal ATA hard drive and the error still occured.

Any other suggestions?

Appreciate the help
Faulty MB ... :(

Reaction score
Yup, replaced the mobo it installed like a dream

Great, now gotta go about RMA'ing this damn mobo and i'm based in spain which is a pain.

Ask a Question