Power Problem

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just built a PC, everything was fine until i tried to power it up.

When i plug the kettle lead into the power supply the pc turns on, fans spin etc. After 5 seconds it goes off, and will not power up from the front switch.

I've tried another PSU and nothing happens whatsoever (fans dont even spin).

System spec as follows:

Elite 760-M Skt 754
Athlon 64 3400+
1024 Kingston Ram
Sapphire 9600XT 256mb
250GB Maxtor DiamondMAX HDD
LG DVD+RW
Cobra Case with Raidmax 500w PSU

Does anyone have any ideas?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Overheating? Check the CPU and reseat it.

Reaction score
Fixed the problem, it was something really n00bish in the end, although i partly blame the mobo:

The front panel connectors were color coded, and basically the orange and red cables were the wrong way round, even though the motherboard displayed them as the correct way.

Oh well, thanks for the assistance guys

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Elite, which is a subsidiary of ECS, I'm afraid do not make good components ... too high a failure rate for me.

You say you tried another PSU and it will not 'start up' is that also the case when you try the original PSU? If so, then irreparable damage may already have been done.

My initial thought, as you built it yourself, is there is a 'short' somewhere, too many standoffs under the MB? Not enough in the right earth points? ... or, something is either not seated correctly or the system is overheating very quickly and hopefully the BIOS is shutting the system down before the CPU is toast. :(

Try re-building, reseating and reset.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Mekismo said:
Fixed the problem, it was something really n00bish in the end, although i partly blame the mobo:

The front panel connectors were color coded, and basically the orange and red cables were the wrong way round, even though the motherboard displayed them as the correct way.

Oh well, thanks for the assistance guys
Good ... we do like happy endings. :thumb:

... and we who 'self build' have many a story we can tell. :D

Ask a Question