Powering up probs on new build ??

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi well me first pc build works ok so thanks for all the help on that one guys .

Just got a teensy :rolleyes: little prob with me major pc build that you might be able to help sort out .

Athalon 64 3400 cpu
Zallman Flower cooler
Asus K8N-E Deluxe
Elan Vital Greenerger SSM PSU 400w
2GB PC 3200 DDR 400 Mhz 184PIN
Refurbished Genuine Built ATI Radeon 9800SE 128MB £34
Seagate St3120026a 120GB 7200rpm 8mb Cache Barracuda
Lite-On SHW-1635S 16X DVD RW
Sony Floppy Disc Drive
19" CRT monitor
S/H case

I know that the memory, HDD ,Graphics card, floppy and DVD all work as they have been taken out of my running pc .

Easy peasy slap it all together and enjoy smooth fast gaming , yeah yeah :lol:

Well I've got power , the psu works and the fan speed adjuster works . There is power getting to the board as a green led lights up on the board . CD and DVD draws open and close so it looks like they have power to them . The floppy led lights up . Cpu and case fan work , though the FanMate speed controler does not seem to work.

The HDD does not seem to work at all , makes no start up noises etc . The monitor has power to it but stays blank . The power on light does not light up and the Ide light shows up red , both these were showing green and working before I swapped mobo's .

I've cleared the Coms , thats where you take out the onboard battery and swap the jumppers for a short while . Doubled checked that cables and jumpers are all in the right place .

Been as careful and thorough as I can be :wall: still won't fire up .

Any ideas :cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Throw out that video card ...

;)

:rolleyes: Hardly helpful advice . I bought the card cos of the review posted here , guess things have changed since the review was posted . :p

Of more help was the reply I had from the company I bought the mobo from ,

Hello

Sorry about the problems you are having with your PC and the build.

As you know when building computers it can be very difficult to find out
where the problems lie. The problem we have is that when people buy
products from us, if they are faulty we will replace them no problems, but
if they are not faulty then we have to send them same products back to the
customers and this can be very time consuming. We therefore ask customers
to identify the product that is faulty and send it back to us. In your case
my advice would be to build the computer outside the case as this can cause
shorting problems and cause the motherboard not to perform. I suggest you
place the motherborad outside the case on the anti static foam provided and
build up your PC connecting the VGA card, Memory, CPU and Power connectors.
Then short the power pin on the motherboard and see if the PC gives an
output to the monitor this should let you know if you have a problem with
any of the components connected. If you have any spare hardware I also
suggest swapping parts to try and see whether they work and if you can try
the hardware you have in another machine. If you are still having problems
after that please email me and I will get back to you on what to do about a
return.

Thanks

Mark Roberts

Planet Micro Ltd

:D :eek:

Question is , How do I short the power pin on the motherboard ??? :wall:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I don't care what 'reviews' you see posted here, in my opinion, the card is rubbish.

Good to see a company respond with good sense. I see no reason to take it out of the case though ... the manual is very clear where the 'mounting' holes are and you would not get "power" to stay on if it was shorting ... you would only see a momentary flick of the CPU fan and all would be dead.

"shorting" the power pin is a simple case of using a small screwdriver an momentary touching these pins ... its on page 2-3 or section 2-2-3 or page 2-29 of your manual, called ATX Power Switch.

The monitor has power to it but stays blank . The power on light does not light up and the Ide light shows up red
This means there is NO signal from the video card ... either it (the card) is knackerd, or is not being powered. Did you connect the 4pin power (ATX 12v) connector? page 2-25.

:)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for your help muckshifter . I thought it was rather nice of Planet Micro to give such a decent reply .
Yes I've got all the cables plugged in correctly .
Seems like it could be the card , don't see how as it was working and all I've done is pull it out of one mobo and plugged it into another . I've sent of for a agp card as I don't have a spare .
I am right in thinking that I can put any 2x/4x/8x agp card into my mobo to get the graphics working :D :cool:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
you do have a manual with that MB ??

A 2x AGP will probably not 'fit' in that AGP slot ... your manual states 4x/8x, there is no real difference between 4 or 8. ;)

Just as a matter of interest, does the MB beep at anytime?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Drat I should have looked in the manual . It's a bit hard to say if the mobo beebs , I think I can hear something from the speaker , not sure now if I could hear anything from it before when the other mobo was working . Think it does give a croak hmmmmmmmm . Are they cheap to buy ? Guess I could do with changing it . :D

Ask a Question