Overclockers Uk gaming pc problems

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Hey all,

I bought a gaming pc from overclockers which i received yesterday (Intel i7 950, 6 gig mem, windows 7 home 64bit and ati 6870).

1st time i turned it on i went through all the windows 7 1st user procedure fine. Then i downloaded a few programs like avg free, spybot search and destroy and spyware blaster and installed them ok. Then the computer screen just went blank and one of the fans in the computer (cpu fan i think but not certain, could be psu) just went at full speed and wouldnt stop till i turned the pc off by holding the power button down for 5 or more seconds. I thought nothing of it and carried on trying to set it up, going through some installs of google chrome it did it again! So startup again and checked windows update, there were around 58 updates on the list and i downloaded them all. The problem seemed to have stopped there, but today i was playing a game (civilization 5) and it did it again after about 40 mins of play, so i restarted and started to play again and it just did it again after about 1hr 30 mins of play. The computer restarts instantly with no problem but it is rather irratating as its cost me over £1200.

I've kept a close eye on all the temps of the CPU, HDD, chipset and the gfx card and they all seem to be lowish.

CPU 50c-60c, chipset 40c< , gpu 40c-50c and hdd no more than 35c.

The computer does come already overclocked to 4Ghz from overclockers UK and from the reviews of the system no ones had a problem relating the overclocking so im wondering if its the Gfx card. I've googled like mad trying to find an answer with no avail.

Heres the rig on the site where i got it: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-025-OP

Any help would be grateful

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Yes ive tried posting in the ocuk forum but im waiting to be accepted as a member.

Proper pee'd off, read all reviews about the computer before i bought it and it looked all good in the hood but i guess not.

I reckon it is a hardware problem, either gfx card or psu.

What are the regular temps for the i7 950?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
my "automatic controlled" fan on my graphics card goes a full pelt until the PC has finished loading, rather loud it is too ... it don't kick-in when needed though, like playing a game ... maybe yours is working correctly?

I must say, I don't know if ATI are that cleaver, I may be wrong. ;)

:wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
my "automatic controlled" fan on my graphics card goes a full pelt until the PC has finished loading, rather loud it is too ... it don't kick-in when needed though, like playing a game ... maybe yours is working correctly?

I must say, I don't know if ATI are that cleaver, I may be wrong. ;)

:wave:

But his screen goes blank as well as the fan speeding up.

Definite hardware fault I'd say, imo strongest contender video card and/or possibly gpu drivers.

But could also be motherboard/memory/cpu probs.

Best advice is let OCUK know of the problem as soon as possible.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I'm a a bit of a noob when it comes to vista/windows 7 and didn't really know much about the event log, so i checked it and its been having critical errors with windows kernel event ID 41 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504 ) . So it must be something floppy mentioned, probably a faulty piece of hardware. No ones fault really by the looks of things, i just hope it gets resolved as quickly and painlessly as possible.

I've got work soon so i'll have to ring ocuk when i get back, i'll keep ya'll informed. There support number is 10p a minute mind you, which i'm defiantly not happy about.

been away along time from pc's and now i know why :p

Does anyone on here make sigs? If so i could with mine being updated please if anyones kind enough.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Just got back from work and rang overclockers. The tech guy i spoke to seem to instantly think it was the gfx card that was at fault and asked me just to send the gfx card back and they would refund me the postage or they can send a courier to collect it monday so i opted for that as i want them to test it and give it a thorough spanking before i get it back so i know it will be kool. So hopefully its just a little hardware problem, i wish they would test the computer more thoroughly before sending it out in the first place thought. They should run aload of benchmark programs before sending them out, give the cpu and processor a hard time for a few hours!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Overclockers courier picked up the dodgey pc monday afternoon, had an email tuesday bout 3:30pm that they had received it. Hopefully they fix it and thats the end of it!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
I'm a a bit of a noob when it comes to vista/windows 7 and didn't really know much about the event log, so i checked it and its been having critical errors with windows kernel event ID 41 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504 ) . So it must be something floppy mentioned, probably a faulty piece of hardware. No ones fault really by the looks of things, i just hope it gets resolved as quickly and painlessly as possible.

I've got work soon so i'll have to ring ocuk when i get back, i'll keep ya'll informed. There support number is 10p a minute mind you, which i'm defiantly not happy about.

been away along time from pc's and now i know why :p

Does anyone on here make sigs? If so i could with mine being updated please if anyones kind enough.

attachment.php

I roll me own cigs an could do some for you but how would I get them to you
hysterical.gif

Good luck with the new GFX card.

You could try GPU-Z and CPU-Z for monitoring temps etc if it don't resolve the problem.
nod.gif

Attachments

• pcr.jpeg
    pcr.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 943

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Hello all,

Well the status so far, I still had not heard a word or email from overclockers since they received the PC back so I was getting a little pee'd off/impatient as i'd received the PC last Thursday and that was the same day it broke. So I rang them this morning at work (off my mobile at 35p a minute mind you) and spoke to one of the customer support staff, who was rather helpful and friendly I might add. I asked about the progress of my computer as the weekends coming up and I'd like to play with it. The customer support chap said they had not even had time to look at my computer yet! I thought great, spend over £1000 at overclockers and once they have your money your forgot about, disgusting really, they should have exchanged the computer on the day the courier come to pick the knackared one up. I was just astonished at there bleightant disregard of a paying customer who put there money and faith into them. I asked when he thought it would be done and he was suggesting around Tuesday time which is unacceptable, if I wanted a PC on that day I would of bought one on that day and not 2 weeks prior. I was disappointed and ended the phone call. I called them back after about 10 minutes and just said i'd like to have my money back and they can keep the PC he said he would have a word with a technician, he got back to me and said if I want my PC back tomorrow they can replace the graphics card and give me the PC back but its not guaranteed to be the graphics card thats at fault. So I just said keep the PC and give me my money back. Me fiancée rang me not long after that conversation with ocuk and said we received an email saying we can't have a refund till we take all the box's back that come with the PC, so I asked her to ring ocuk and tell them we'll take the box's up tomorrow so we can get the refund (as she had access to a land line and wasn't running up a mobile bill). She rang me back and said they will test the PC as much as they can but it wont be there full test before we get it back.

So in the end I've chose to take the PC back partially tested with a new graphics card as I'm 90% sure thats the problem. If I get it back and the graphics card is not at fault and its something else then I'll take it all back and just get my money back and go somewhere else.

Overall I've got mixed feelings about overclockers. Its probably not there fault a PC component is broke, but they should of done more thorough testing so it didn't go out faulty. Also they should have just done a straight exchange like for like when the courier come to pick up the faulty PC, instead they make you wait without any communication what so ever to whats going on and cant even be bothered to get someone to fix your PC in a timely fashion. There customer service/support staff were very helpful and polite and I cant fault them on that.

Maybe I'm over reacting but i'd been looking forward to this PC for a long time, it was not a quick decision to get such an extravagant gaming PC. I'd done lots of research into prices, components and makes but made the mistake of not researching the supplier as i'd used overclockers before without a problem. When I trawled the internet to find out about sending things back to overclockers all I found was unhappy people and bad experiences. Thats why I want this dealt with asap so i'm not having to chase up overclockers for weeks which turn into months!

Hopefully the PC is 100% fine when I get it going tomorrow, I'll let you lot know as soon as I know.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, sorry to hear about your experience with OCUK.

Well, that's it I think, OCUK are now off my list of suppliers.

In the past I've bought the majority of my stuff from OCUK, I like their stock and I like their website but over the last couple of years I have read too much bad stuff about them to risk using them again.

I was reluctant to believe all the bad things I'd read about them but now I've heard from the horses mouth so to speak.

I will repeat that the two or three rma's I've had with OCUK were dealt with quickly and efficiently and in one case (a high end graphics card) I actually got the return postage refunded to my debit card.

But there's no smoke without fire and if I'd spent over a grand on a high end machine I'd expect quicker service.

So, farewell OCUK, I can vouch for Aria and E-Buyer giving good rma service, Scan are pretty good and Kustom PC's are the absolute best. And not to forget Chillblast but I must confess I haven't used Chillblast for a while now.

Good luck reefsmoka, I hope all is sorted.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Cheers flopps,

I know what you mean by saying you like ocuk stock, they seem to have everything and more! And there prices are very good if not the best, the PC I priced up I couldn't beat anywhere, even if i bought all the parts from different suppliers.

If the PC is still no good then I think I'll go chillblast or kustom PC

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well i went to stoke (from leicester) earlier, just over an hour drive which i wasnt fussed about least i know the pc wasnt being wrestled by the delivery company :p.

I've been using it since around 2:30 and it hasnt made so much as a hiccup so far, played civ 5 for around 2 hours flawlessly.

The staff at ocuk seemed very helpful and friendly, i wasnt there but 10 minutes all in all, so pretty painless.

It would have been a great experience overall with ocuk if they would just have sorted out my pc in a timely fashion in the first place instead of me having to make numerous phone calls and driving over 120 miles (around 64 there, 64 back) to sort it out.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Glad its sorted mate, shame you had to deal with that though.

Just FWIW, i've dealt with OcUK many many times. Never had one issues including several RMA's, just goes to show i guess. :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
not funny, just happened again twice right now!

Its going back and im getting my money back and going somwhere else

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Lame.... :(

Maybe the OC is unstable?

Sorry your having issues dude that aint good......

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Maybe it is something to do with the overclock, i shall try it without the overclock as its a powerful enough processor as it is. I cant return until monday anyway.

The psu is only 600w, i think thats low for such a high spec pc. WHat do you reckon

spec list:

intel i7 950 processor
6 gig ddr tri channel
500gig hd
1 optical drive
ati radeon 6870
xigmatek dark knight cooler
2 case fans

i love the spec of the computer and theres no where on the net that can match the components for the price.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd say your PSU is just about adequate, assuming it's something good like Seasonic or Corsair.

Perhaps you could ask them to substitute the CPU and stress test it for 48 hours to check the overclock.

Ask a Question