Overclockers Uk gaming pc problems

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
The PSU is a Corsair and in this month issue of PC Format it came 2nd with a score of around 90% out of 10 PSU's so I think its a good make and model, just didn't think it was meaty enough to handle the job.

If the computer doesn't crash again over the weekend then it looks like it will be the over-clock. I'm not fussed about it not being over-clocked 1 bit as i dont rate over-clocking that much, its just they advertise it on the site as being very stable and sell it at 4Ghz by the bucket load!

When it crashed last time, I seen a quick error message when the computer restarted saying something like "unable to over-clock" or something like that, it was only for a split second.

So far I've been working it hard, playing crysis on 1920x1080 all settings high without any problems, I ran a windows indexing benchmark and am now getting a bit of malware/spyware protection from a recommendation in the software part of the forum. I wont be surprised if it crash's again, i'll be surprised if it doesn't. There is nothing I can do till Monday anyway as there closed Sunday!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That PSU is a good one, not a great deal of headroom with it only being 600w, but its a good reliable one with a stable rail on it. :)

Just re reading the OP, i it does sound like the OC maybe unstable. Out of interest, what the CPU Voltage?

CPU-Z Screenshot if possible :)

Believe me, the difference between OC'ed and not will be noticeable. :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
The voltage in the bios for the CPU with the overclock was around 1.4-1.5 i think, without the overclock its around 0.8-0.9.

I'll do a screen shot later as im on me laptop now.

When the overclock was in place i used to get all different clock speeds in cpu-z, ranging from 2.2ghz, 2.6ghz to around 3.06, it was never the same. Though i read on one site that the i7's have power saving modes and turbo modes. Can anyone elaborate on this?

I've also been googling about the power supply and most people say if its a good stable psu then 600 is plenty, especially with an ati card, if i'd gone the nvidia road apparently they like abit more juice (greedy barstardz :p)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
The screen shot:

CPUZ.png

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hmmm, Can you do another one while the Pc is under load? (100% across all cores)

That one dont tell me a great deal as all the power management has kicked in..

Ta

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah yes, you turned to OC off didn't you?

Just seen this too...
Reefsmoka said:
The voltage in the bios for the CPU with the overclock was around 1.4-1.5 i think, without the overclock its around 0.8-0.9.

I'll do a screen shot later as im on me laptop now.

When the overclock was in place i used to get all different clock speeds in cpu-z, ranging from 2.2ghz, 2.6ghz to around 3.06, it was never the same. Though i read on one site that the i7's have power saving modes and turbo modes. Can anyone elaborate on this?

I've also been googling about the power supply and most people say if its a good stable psu then 600 is plenty, especially with an ati card, if i'd gone the nvidia road apparently they like abit more juice (greedy barstardz :p)
Yeah basically you have speedstep (and/or C1E) on, it drops the Multi when at idle, hence the lower clock speeds.

Intels Turbo Boost mode is just the CPU bumping up by another 133mhz (IIRC) for maximum performance. :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
The oc is off and has been all day. PC's been on for 8 or so hours with no problems, playing crysis and just browsing the net.

Need to get me some call of duty black ops and get on the zombies

Ask a Question