Custom Build - Media Centre PC

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking to build a new PC, maybe use some components out of my old tower.

I ideally want to spend no more than £200 / £300.

I want the PC to effectively be a media centre which will sit under my TV.

I am trying to find the smallest case, at a reasonable price and so far have only really come accross the antec ones around £100.

The main thing I want is for it to be able to play Blu Ray's through my 32" Samsung HDTV, and have found a blu ray frive on ebuyer for £50, see here.

In my current desktop I have both a 320gb and 500gb SATA 2 HDD, and would move one of these over. I also have 2gb DDR2 ram I believe and a few years old AMD x2 but unsure which one.

I'm just looking for advice on some parts and if I should be looking at more RAM / HDD space. And if I need a special graphics card with HDMI to connect to the TV?

It was several years ago since my last PC build and seems the components etc have changed vastly.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated :wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
For a media PC oddly the case may well be the first consideration, the Antec media cases are excellent.

So that leaves around £200.00

Get an AMD motherboard with integrated graphics, Nvidia 8200 chipset is perfectly adequate.

350 watt PSU will suffice.

500Gb HDD will do to start but if you're thinking of storing lots of music and movies start thinking in terms of Terrabytes.

I'd say buy a decent case, consider upping your budget.

You may just get away with £300.00 inc case.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I came across the name of G. Skill memory first time! Is it that good? What happened to good old Corsair and like?

Reaction score
Hi Quadfile, I am running 8gig G.Skill and had do proplems seem very good and not a bad price when I bought them about 6 months ago

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
bootneck02 said:
Hi Quadfile, I am running 8gig G.Skill and had do proplems seem very good and not a bad price when I bought them about 6 months ago

Thanks for the feedback! I will check the prices

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
I came across the name of G. Skill memory first time! Is it that good? What happened to good old Corsair and like?
Nothing wrong with Corsair / Crucial, and you know from past I've always said, to hell with who makes it, look at the chips they use. :)

You can be sure GSkill have done thier homework for you. :nod:

You don't "see" it here often.

I like the way that website uses a popup to confirm your country, it recognised I live in the UK (English) ... shame othere websites, Amazon/Microsoft/Google, the list is endless, shame they don't know how to do that ... :lol:

:wave:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
bootneck02 said:
Just checked and they have a US site check the top right corner of page

Thanks the site automatically detected my location. Will check it out later

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Nothing wrong with Corsair / Crucial, and you know from past I've always said, to hell with who makes it, look at the chips they use. :)

You can be sure GSkill have done thier homework for you. :nod:

You don't "see" it here often.

I like the way that website uses a popup to confirm your country, it recognised I live in the UK (English) ... shame othere websites, Amazon/Microsoft/Google, the list is endless, shame they don't know how to do that ... :lol:

I hear ya loud and clear! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:

Bloody right Mr Mucks, add Apple to that list.

Ask a Question