PC Build Advice

Reaction score
Firstly, hi guys this is my first post!

Having lost touch with the stuff available nowadays, I'm just after a bit of advice really on what components to get for a new office computer.

We're probably going to send some details off to our local shop for them to build us a complete new computer (excluding monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer) as our current office computer was way past it's sell by date and decided to give up living.

It's to be used all day everyday for general office work, but must be able to run multiple programs at the same time including Adobe Photoshop, Word, Excel, IE, Outlook etc. Our last PC didn't like it if we used Photoshop with anything else running!

We'll be running it on Windows XP, probably using Norton Anti Virus too. Connection to the net is through a BT Broadband router.

Due to the amount of files we store we're gonna need a decent size hard drive, nothing huge just something around 160gb would be fine.

Graphics isn't really an issue, but a basic soundcard would be useful.

If you could offer any advice on a low spec, medium spec, and top spec setup that would be fantastic.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Regards,
Ricky

Reaction score
Hi Ricky

Welcome to PCR...There are a few guys on here that would give you really good advice for a build..But as its going to be a office computer, why not shop around on the net, or take a look at PC World or Curry's..Or go online to Dell..At least that way you have the support, warrenty etc..And you'd probably get it for a lot cheaper..As for using Norton, rather go for Kaspersky..Its a million tmes better...And the guys on here will more than likey agree 100%....

Reaction score
Hi Ricky & Welcome to PCreview.
What has your local PC Shop suggested as they may well be able to give you a more realistic quote than we could here.
Mainly as it's not a DIY build what we may suggest may not be what your looking for?

Reaction score
Hi feckit,

We've not contacted the shop just yet, I was just hoping for a bit of advice and any recommendations first on what products would be suitable for our needs really. Having not used this company before we'd like to have a little info beforehand in case they try to sell us more than we need.

I'm not after detailed prices as such, just a rough cost for a cheap, an average and an expensive setup and a few recommended/trusted products or brands I should look for.

Thanks

Regards,
Ricky

Reaction score
2 to 3GB RAM/On Board Graphics & Sound/DVD-RW/Midi Case & PSU/320GB Seagate HDD.
To be honest everyone will have a different idea on what to do.
As will any company you approach to build the pc.

May be someone else has a better idea?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well i think a decent dualcore would be enough, either AMD 2.5Ghz or above or Intel 2.4Ghz or above,

AMD is cheaper but Intel is better.

Agrre with the RAM, 3GB is perfect, although 2GB will do ya fine on XP.

Sound cards Creative Labs are only real choice, but most motherboards will support 5.1 or 7.1.

320GB hard drive is best option for price at the moment.

Don't go for to big a Power supply 400W is plenty, good brands include, Corsair, OCZ, Hiper, Tagan, Thermaltake.

£250 will be plenty for a base unit.

Oh and Kapersky is a million times better than Norton or Mcafee.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't believe a member of this forum has advised somebody to buy from PC World or Currys :eek:

They are crap.

And Dell isn't a lot better.

Haven't we taught anybody anything over the last nine years?

"hangs head in shame and weeps uncontrollably"

And talking of crap, installing Nortons onto a system using XP will slow it down even more than using Vista.

Most modern machines are at least dual core CPU now so multi-tasking shouldn't be a problem, quad core is better.

I'd go for an Intel Quad core CPU based machine with on board sound and if the graphics requirements are not considerable, perhaps onboard graphics as well, though I'm really not fond of onboard graphics.

This one here would do you

Costs £386.00 with an OEM copy of Win XP Pro or £287.00 if you already have Win XP. It would meet all of your requirements.

This is a better choice

Quad core and 4Gb RAM make it better for multi tasking. With a 250Gb hard disk and no operating system it comes to £396.00 with postage.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
I think PCWorld are evil, i brought a Toshiba Laptop from them last January, took out the optional insurance, went to afghanistan and it got blown up when one of our vehicles went over a mine.

I salvaged the bits took them back to PCWorld and was told that "acts of terroism" are not covered on the insurance, I told them it was a mine from 1980 that the russians left and was a Legacy mine no terrorism here.

I had a nice fella tell me to get out the shop as it was my own fault for going to afghanistan.

I then phoned the local rag and he came to PCWorld with me and they promptly returned by £700.

Never had a problem with Currys though, i think they are quite good.

Reaction score
Well what did you expect from a DSG company.
You may have had to go abroad, but i bet you never asked the laptop if it wanted to!:p

I think i'm off for a beer or 2.;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
I think PCWorld are evil, i brought a Toshiba Laptop from them last January, took out the optional insurance, went to afghanistan and it got blown up when one of our vehicles went over a mine.

I salvaged the bits took them back to PCWorld and was told that "acts of terroism" are not covered on the insurance, I told them it was a mine from 1980 that the russians left and was a Legacy mine no terrorism here.

I had a nice fella tell me to get out the shop as it was my own fault for going to afghanistan.

I then phoned the local rag and he came to PCWorld with me and they promptly returned by £700.

Never had a problem with Currys though, i think they are quite good.

Ah, the power of the Press eh? Excellent :thumb:

Can you imagine the headline? "PC World refuses to support our boys serving abroad" The publicity would have cost them more than seven hundred quid eh? ;)

As for Currys being any better, they're both owned by DSG (as feckit pointed out) along with Dixons and the Link, all of which have doubtful reputations See here

I really think it often depends on the attitude of the person you deal with rather than the store's policy.

PC World really is for innocents abroad who know no better, the poor fools.

Novatech, from my own use of them and all the feeback I've read, have integrity.

OCUK I've never had a major problem with and I think they're very good, although they have not been without criticism from Forum members here.

Ask a Question