Paypal Seller Protection?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There appears to be a bit of a problem with PayPal's "Protection for Sellers" page. It seems they seem to think that there is a "limited ability to comply with SPP" from some edited remarks left with the paypal page:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/protections-outside

"Should any suspicious activity occur, PayPal will either alert you either by email or by a representative calling you. But PayPal doesn’t stop there. We offer you [excellent] [too strong I think given the limited ability to comply with SPP] chargeback protection, too. Card issuers frequently put buyers’ needs before merchants’ needs. That means chargeback disputes are often an uphill battle for sellers. PayPal is equally concerned about both its buyers and sellers. That’s why, should a buyer file a dispute, we will act as a mediator between both parties often resolving the situation before a chargeback is filed. If mediation fails and the buyer files a chargeback, PayPal will use evidence provided by the seller to investigate wrongful chargebacks. In these ways, PayPal offers a uniquely comprehensive level of protection for sellers. [Did we want to also mention SPP?]"

Link to screenshot

Attachments

• paypal.jpg
    paypal.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,323
  • paypaltext.gif
    paypaltext.gif
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,093

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just had my paypal account taken down to almost minus £500 after someone filed a chargeback on me! I'm about to experience how good the seller protection is now :eek: Not a happy bunny as I'm going on holiday in 2 days and thats my spending money gone!!!!

I've still got the tracking numbers/reciepts so should be ok I hope - the buyer even left + feedback!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I sincerely am very sorry to hear this Ian and i do hope you get this matter sorted asap....:(

By the way could you enlighten me as to what a charge back is and as a paypal member myself could i be open to someone clearing out my account....If so i shall be closing it immediatley....

Reaction score
well admin

i hope u get it sorted

very nice of u, to share your experience with us
in order for us to hear of the problem and be warned.
thanks

ive always had a great fear of paypal!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it happened, but the person must have told paypal they didn't receive the item (after 2 weeks, and even with special delivery and them saying they got it ok at the time!). There is always the small claims court if I don't get the money back, so I'm sure it will get sorted soon. I'll keep you up to date on it :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Turns out the seller had changed bank accounts, and somehow make this transaction appear unauthorised! No idea how :confused:

Back in place anyway, which is a relief!

Ask a Question