PayPal Phising emails again ...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I received another one ... and as you know I don't have a PP account ... so these are easy for me to spot. :p

Dear PayPal Customer!

During our regularly schedule account maintenance and verification we have detected a slight error in your billing information on file with PayPal. Your card will be used for identification only and will not be charged at any time. By having this type of identification! from all users, PayPal remains a safe place to buy and sell. Setting up a seller account necessitates valid credit or debit card and checking account information. For automatic payments, your credit card will normally be charged 5 to 7 days after you receive your invoice. Enter and submit the required information. Your account may be suspended for non-payment, and you may be responsible for collection costs.

Click here to receive access to confirmation page

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure meant to help protect you! and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

The PayPal Team

Now, PP on the other hand, do send out genuine emails ... here is what one looks like;

Dear Dennis B******,

Your credit card ending in ****(I removed actual numbers) will expire soon.

To avoid any interruption to your service, please update your credit card expiration date by following the steps below. If you do not update your credit card expiration date

- You may no longer be able to use Instant Transfer

To update your credit card expiration date:

1. Log in to your PayPal account
2. Go to the Profile subtab
3. Click on the 'Credit Cards' link in the Financial Information column
4. Choose the radio button next to the credit card you would like to update and click 'Edit'
5. Enter your credit card verification number
6. Enter the new credit card expiration date
7. Click 'Save'

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team
Notice there is no hiden/visable link, they kknow your name & last four digits of your CC ... looks pretty alarming, but is a genuine email from PayPal

Just to be sure, the recipiant played safe and sent it off to PP for verification to mailto:[email protected] ... here is the reply.

Thank you for reporting the email you received.

We can confirm that we do send out notification that your credit card on
file is going to expire prior to your credit card's expiration date. We
do this as a reminder, so you can avoid any interruption to your
service.

Please follow these simple instructions to change the expiration date on
your credit or debit card:

1. Log in to your PayPal account

2. Go to the Profile subtab

3. Click on the 'Credit Cards' link in the Financial Information column

4. Choose the card by clicking the radio button and click 'Edit'

5. Enter your card verification number. In the 'New Expiration Date'
section, choose the new month and year of the expiration date of the
card from the drop down li
st

6. Click 'Save'

Sincerely,

The PayPal Team
So you see how people can be 'confused' by what they hear & read.

My advice ... don't use PP and delete any emails from them. :D

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Funnily enough Mucks, I have had shed fulls of these emails from PP - I don't have an account, never have had and don't intend doing so either. Their dodgy mailing plus those spoof bank and building society ones go straight into my 'spam' box and then I zap them into cyber space with glee!!

Thanks for the helpful advice though!!

Gabs xx

Reaction score
I thought PayPal was secure? I never use PayPal or Western Union both to easily corrupted;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
feckit said:
I thought PayPal was secure? I never use PayPal or Western Union both to easily corrupted;)
PP's site where you "log-in" is as secure as any other ... the emails that want you, via a link, to alter details are not.

That is why they are called Phising ... ;)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Surprising though Mucks how many people dont think before they reply ??

Ask a Question