Paint shop Pro

Hello I am a new Paint Shop Pro user and I recently bought this computer with
vista I am having some problems with PSP shutting down I have versions 8 and
9 thanks in advance for the help

Synapse Syndrome

PEPSIGIRL2U said:
Hello I am a new Paint Shop Pro user and I recently bought this computer
with
vista I am having some problems with PSP shutting down I have versions 8
and
9 thanks in advance for the help

After a quick Google, I see that even v10 and v11 need patches to work on
Vista, so maybe your old versions will not work with Vista.

If there is a way of getting them to work, the best way you would find out
is ask in a Paint Shop Pro user forum, or newsgroup.

You can access the newsgroups through Google Groups, or you can search for
other forums using normal Google search.

HTH

ss.

Iam trying it now to see what happens also in psp9 it changes my window
scheme? and where do I go to change the compatibility in psp ? thanks so much
Richard G. Harper said:
Have you checked for an updated version of PSP and/or Vista support tips
from the folks at JASC?

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

PEPSIGIRL2U said:
Hello I am a new Paint Shop Pro user and I recently bought this computer
with
vista I am having some problems with PSP shutting down I have versions 8
and
9 thanks in advance for the help

Mark Veldhuis

Have you checked for an updated version of PSP and/or Vista support tips
from the folks at JASC?

That's not the right company to check anymore. PSP is now owned by
Corel. ;)

HEMI-Powered

Mark Veldhuis added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...
That's not the right company to check anymore. PSP is now
owned by Corel. ;)

That is correct, and I believe that the first version that will
fully support Vista will be their version 12 or XII. I don't know
if that's out yet or not, don't think so. But, I gave up on buying
anymore PSP after I saw how badly Corel mangled PSP X, and again
with XI. And, I think it is now PSPP, Paint Shop Photo Pro.

HEMI-Powered

Paul Smith added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...
message

I use version 7 here without any problems.
I don't have Vista as I'm sure that anyone seeing my handle will
know. I really wouldn't expect any of the earlier versions of PSP
from 7 on up to fail completely, they just cannot take advantage of
the larger address space for memory or multi-core CPUs.

I believe what is happening is it is using alot of memory which I guess I
dont have in this new computer ?? thanks everyone

May

You need version 11.20 to work fully in Vista. Install version 11.0 and then
check for updates to install 11.20. To the best of my knowledge previous
versions don't work in Vista without some form of hiccup.

HEMI-Powered

=?Utf-8?B?UEVQU0lHSVJMMlU=?= added these comments in the current
discussion du jour ...
I believe what is happening is it is using alot of memory
which I guess I dont have in this new computer ?? thanks
everyone

How much do you have? Even PSP 9 the last Jasc version and what I
run, is fairly memory limited. I have 4 gig on my current PC, which
I bought in the mistaken belief that PSP 9 would run better. It
DOES run faster than on my old 512 MB system, but probably more
from the AMD Athlon 2.5 GHz CPU than the old AMD 1.6 GHz. How much
memory do you have? Lack of memory shouldn't cause an app to freeze
or crash unless Vista or something else is mismanaging it - from
the perspective of apps that old that do not expect its many new
"features".

Swingman

"Paul Smith" wrote in message
I use version 7 here without any problems.

And I'm using PSP 6 under Vista Business with no problems other than the
minor irritant of a small screen at startup of the program that states
"Failed to update the registry. Please use regedit".

I just close said screen and go about business as usual in PSP.

Ihave a hp pavillion a1710n
I have 221 of 291gb of hd
a amd dual core athalon processor
I cant find the info on my video card though

Ken Blake, MVP

Mark Veldhuis added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

That is correct, and I believe that the first version that will
fully support Vista will be their version 12 or XII.

I'm not a heavy user of it, and can't comment on whether everything
works properly, but I've had no problems with PSP8 under Vista here.

Ken Blake, MVP

You need version 11.20 to work fully in Vista. Install version 11.0 and then
check for updates to install 11.20. To the best of my knowledge previous
versions don't work in Vista without some form of hiccup.

Tell me about those hiccups. What are they? As I said moments ago in
another message in this thread, I haven't experienced any hiccups with
PSP8 under Vista here.

Jeanne

Ken Blake said:
Tell me about those hiccups. What are they? As I said moments ago in
another message in this thread, I haven't experienced any hiccups with
PSP8 under Vista here.

I'm using PSP X with Windows Vista. Mostly it works as it did with XP but
there is one infuriating feature. In Print Layout I can't change the
printer. It will only print using the default printer. To change to
another printer, I must change the default printer and reboot. If I forget
to remove the print command before rebooting, I have to do the whole thing
again. Anyone else experience this problem? Is there a workaround? I've
spent a lot of time trying to figure it out.

HEMI-Powered

=?Utf-8?B?UEVQU0lHSVJMMlU=?= added these comments in the current
discussion du jour ...
Ihave a hp pavillion a1710n
I have 221 of 291gb of hd
a amd dual core athalon processor
I cant find the info on my video card though

Wasn't asking about HD space or even video card mem, neither is
relevant here. I was asking about RAM. Depending on the version
of PSP and the version of Windows anyone runs, makes a BIG
difference on instability. PSP obviously is not the only app to
have this issue, ALL older apps have it. People work around it by
upgrading their SW if necessary or adding memory if that helps.

My system is maxed out for both system RAM and video ram, so I
may not see problems with people that may be running, say, only
512MB of system RAM, hence my question. I hadn't really thought
of video memory, but I suppose it might be an issue. I believe my
ATI Radeon card has the max 256MB, maybe it can go larger, don't
really know, but I imagine it is theoretically possible for a
64MB card to have instability with a graphically and CPU
intensive app.

HEMI-Powered

Ken Blake, MVP added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...
I'm not a heavy user of it, and can't comment on whether
everything works properly, but I've had no problems with PSP8
under Vista here.

I AM a heavy user, primarily for post-processing digital camera
images and to a lesser degree, scans of photographs. I had no real
problems with PSP 8 and still have it installed, but I upgraded to
9 entirely to get DCNR and CA, and I have not been sorry. Some
early bugs that were fixed with two patches, fine since. But then,
I am on XP Pro SP2 and will be until my next PC, so I cannot
comment intelligently on anything-Vista.

Have a great day, Ken!

I have to say I am a satisfied user of Paint Shop Pro XI....on my XP
machines. It will not run in Vista Ultimate. I've gone around and around with
Corel on this, doing complete clean uninstalls and installs, patches (11.20)
and get the same result everytime. The program literally stops my machine
dead. Even the dashboard clock stops!. I'm running a P4 HT 3.2 with 3 GB of
RAM, multiple hard drives with lots of space for paging etc, no luck getting
it to work. What really slays me is the note on the Corel site that says you
should install the Vista patch to the PSPXI software before installing Vista!
It is a real disappointment as I used to be able to carry on with my work
from the office to home. Now I can't and tech support from Corel is
absolutely no use...as in invisible after they give you the uninstall,
reinstall BS. My advice is stay away from the new est version of PSP. If the
old versions work keep them running!

Roberta

Hello.
I just received a new Notebook with Vista Home Premiun Edition on it.
I am wanting to load PSP8....I have been reading these posts but am still a
little confused. Is it SAFE to install on this notebook?
Thank you.
--
If you meet me, and forget me,
you have lost nothing.

Stand for something or you will fall for everything.