    If I click okay or the "x", Outlook closes. I cannot do anything with
    Outlook while that box is there.

    Thank you.

    Guest, Sep 28, 2004

  2. Brian Tillman, Sep 29, 2004

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    Thanks - but McAfee is not on this computer. I tried to do a search for it
    (in case it came in some package) but it isn't there. I can't click on any
    settings in Outlook - the only thing I can do is close out the error message
    and Outlook shuts down. It does receive mail, though (but I can't get to the
    mail).
    Thank you for your assistance.
    Linda

    Guest, Sep 29, 2004

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    Are you running Norton Internet Security 2004? There is a problem with the
    Antispam Outlook plugin. It seems to only affect multi-user XP systems.
    Norton told me they are aware of the problem but have no fix (That was 3
    months ago). You can get rid of the problem by renaming the" MSOUPLUG" file.
    This will unfortunately stop Norton Antispam from working properly but
    Outlook will not crash anymore. Hope this helps. That file is in C:\Program
    Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Antispam on my computer I just Changed the
    file extension to .old.

    Guest, Nov 10, 2004

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    I ended up running the restoration disks - lost all my email though. It
    probably was a problem with Norton Internet Security 2004 because that's what
    I have. I will take your
    suggestion - I have anti-spam with my server so I can live without another
    one.
    Thank you so much for your help.

    Guest, Nov 12, 2004

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    Yippee
    After several days of bashing my brains out, searching, reading and getting
    very frustrated, this describes my problem exactly.
    Will try the solution. Many thanks.

    Guest, Dec 6, 2004

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    Hello,

    Trying to import an excel database (Large one....I think) that is the only
    time I get the Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library after it
    has been trying to import for a few minutes.

    Tried looking for the file: MSOUPLUG in the correct areas but could not
    locate......also did a search and still could not locate????

    Help!!!

    Thks
    Frank

    Guest, Dec 14, 2004

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    Thanks, this worked perfectly!!!!!

    Guest, Jan 4, 2005

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    This error is also with Norton 2005 Internet Security with XP multiuser system.

    Thanks for the help. Chris

    Guest, Jan 8, 2005

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    Agree with all details of this thread. This past week I encountered this
    same problem on two systems: a legacy desktop PC with NIS 2004; and a new
    laptop PC with NIS 2005 installed. Upon configuring both systems to support
    multiple Outlook user accounts the same bug occurred on both machines. The
    fix described in this thread works! Thanks to the author, who has saved me a
    lot of trouble...

    Guest, Jan 9, 2005

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    I am using Office 2000 Professional SP3 on Windows XP Home Edition SP2 with
    Norton Internet Security 2004. Starting this morning, when I try to run
    Outlook ver. 9.0.0.6604 I get the following message:

    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program: C:\...OUTLOOK.EXE
    This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Pleasee contact the application's support team for more information.
    |OK|

    When I click on "OK", Outlook closes.

    I tried almost every curesuggested on several threads:
    I tried to start Outlook from the command line with the /safe switch; same
    problem.
    I ran Install to repair Office; problem not fixed.
    I ran scanpst,exe on my Personal Folder; problem not fixed.
    I renamed outcmd.dat to .old; problem not fixed.
    Finally, I renamed C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
    Shared\Antispam\MSOUPLUG.DLL to .OLD as suggested by g_man. THIS WORKED!!
    Why did I have this problem after using the same configuration for many
    months? Norton AutoUpdate ran last night.

    Guest, Feb 9, 2005

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    Hi g_man,

    I'm getting this runtime error problem when I try to open Outlook too. The
    program won't open at all. I don't have Norton installed on the computer,
    only Symantec Virus Scan. Tried to look for that MSOUPLUG file but I don't
    have it.

    Any suggestion? I'm desperate...

    Guest, Feb 14, 2005

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    Thank you very much. It took about 32 seconds to end a year and a half
    frustration!

    Guest, Mar 1, 2005

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    I run Windows ME, Office 2000, and Norton and starting having this same error
    msg 2 months ago = driving me crazy. Do not have an Antispam file, and cannot
    locate the MSOUPLUG file. Anyother way to solve this? Got so excited when I
    found this..and now bummed can't make it work!

    Guest, Aug 5, 2005

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    I get the same error with Outlook 2002 running XP Pro and NIS 2004. It only
    occurs the first time I launch Outlook after signing on. If I close Close
    Outlook (my only option) and then restart it, the program loads slowly but
    does load and funtions normally. As it loads I note on the lower left side
    of the screen the words "Loading Data set", "Databinding" and then the the
    send/receive process begins. Will disabling (turning off) the NIS antispam
    option work as well or do I have to change the "msouplug" file name?

    Is there a harm leaving things alone, as long as I don't mind having to
    launch the program twice, or will this lead to other problems down the line?

    Guest, Aug 17, 2005

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    The solution d't help for me. i am using Symantes Antivirus Cooperate Edition.
    Please help, thanks

    Guest, Aug 18, 2005

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    Hi,

    Thanks for the advice. I had been getting the C++ error and when I changed
    MSOUPLUG from .dll to .old I could then open Outlook.

    Just one problem though. I cannot see any of my e-mails and I cannot find
    the .pst file on my PC.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Jason

    Guest, Jan 6, 2006

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    I have had this problem several times and this is what I suggest.

    First find the MSOUPLUG file by search your computer.
    When you find it, right click the file and rename it to MSOUPLUG.old

    keep the search window open.

    try to open outlook now.
    If it opens fine then you are in good position.
    If it opens and you have no data then you need to run the inbox repair tool.

    Close outlook
    open repair tool and repair your outlook.pst file
    then go to your search window that is still open and change the MSOUPLUG.old
    file back to .dll extension

    try to reopen outlook.
    If that does not still work leave the MSOUPLUG file with the .old extension
    That however, will keep Norton intergration from working properly

    I hope that helps

    Guest, Jan 21, 2006

    Re: Outlook error: MS Visual C++ Error Runtime Library - abnormal

    I have tried to rename MSOUPLUG.DLL, but it will not let me.
    Is there anything that i'm missing or not doing right ??
    The error says that "Access is denied" , and something about making sure the
    file is not in use.
    How do i turn that file off to be able to rename it ??

    Thanks

    Guest, Jul 2, 2006

    Guest, Jul 2, 2006