(OT) ok i took the plunge

robinb

last night I decided to upgrade my vista home premium sp2 to windows 7 home
premium upgrade addition I had just gotten via mail from Best Buys
I ran the windows 7 update advisory first to see what drivers I need and
what needs to be uninstalled last week.
I got all the updates I needed last week and a few did not have updates but
I waited with baited breath.
When windows 7 first installs it recommends you to check for updates first
before installing the OS and when it came back it showed me any additional
changes that needed to be made before install. I found that trend micro was
still in the registry (even though I had uninstalled it 2 yrs ago) and once
I removed the registry items for trend micro I started the installation
again and this time it passed and continued.
It took about 2hrs to completely install.
Once it was finished, I held my breath again to see what damage it did or
not.
I had left the antivirus program avg 9.0 on with resident shield disabled
(just in case)
all was well with that after the install.
All the programs I had on still work, the only thing I did find is duplicate
folders because it keeps your original folders, so now I have a My Document
folder that is empty and a "document folder that has all my files" which I
will move into the new one
there are a few more that just need to be moved or deleted
Since this computer was possessed when I had vista on it- it messed up
permissions when I changed my original administrator name to another, I
would have thought Windows 7 would have fixed this but it did not but I was
just glad it loaded the OS because Vista was giving me so many problems on
this computer to begin with and I mostly use this one for testing and
teaching purposes anyway., so I was at least glad 95% of everything else
works ok. I had to reinstall my printer driver and apps and reinstall the
graphic driver (this was the recommendation from the advisor prior to
installation.

I am amazed that now I can connect to my network without having to re put in
the username and password for each computer like I had to do in Vista. Here
it is holding the password- vista it never did which was a real pain.

Since I did beta test Windows 7 in virtual PC 2007 prior to actually
installing it now I at least knew all the new features it has and they all
work great now too.

I am planning on upgrading my vostro 1500 laptop once my seminars are over,
I need to upgrade the nvidia graphic drivers first and uninstall a few
things and I just do not want to have a problem now and find I cannot do my
seminars (I have windows 7 there on virtual pc now too)

But I will tell you if you are planning to do it, it was not the horror I
went through upgrading this machine from XP home media to vista. That took
7 hours of massive frustration.

Once you have uninstalled the drivers and programs that will not work on
windows 7 (yes even though they worked on Vista- Microsoft lied on that one
:p) and you have gotten the updated drivers and programs to reinstall after
or before the upgrade depending on what the advisor tells you to do, the
actual install should take no more than 2 hours to complete. Make sure once
it is upgrading you do NOT touch the computer, you let it do what it needs
to do or you will be very sorry (like one of my colleges did when the
percentage was stuck at 20% and he thought it would not move again so he
cancelled it and now he had to reformat the drive and start from scratch and
his upgrade will not work so he had to go buy a full version of windows 7)
It does go- I had the same thing and as long as I let it be, it eventually
continued on its merry way.

You might have to do some tweaking once it is done and you will have to
reinstall the drivers and program updates but other than that I was not that
bad at all.
Again since this computer I expected to have problems, did not have that
many, I am hoping my vostro that has no problems does the upgrade nicely. I
will let you know in 2 wks on that that one.
robin

RobbL

You are a brave soul, Robin...more so than I would be. Glad it worked out,
but I think I'll keep my new MAC.

1

1PW

robinb said:
[...]

would not move again so he canceled it and now he had to reformat the
drive and start from scratch and his upgrade will not work so he had to
go buy a full version of windows 7) It does go- I had the same thing and
as long as I let it be, it eventually continued on its merry way.

You might have to do some tweaking once it is done and you will have to
reinstall the drivers and program updates but other than that I was not
that bad at all.
Again since this computer I expected to have problems, did not have that
many, I am hoping my vostro that has no problems does the upgrade
nicely. I will let you know in 2 wks on that that one.
robin

Hello Robin:

Firstly - congratulations on a job well done! You deserve the
satisfaction you're enjoying now.

Two hours for an upgrade probably isn't so bad. However, when you
have the chance, would you please post a brief hardware description of
the Vista SP2 system you upgraded. Make/model, CPU (clock speed and
FSB rating if you know it), 32 bit or 64 bit, amount of RAM, size of
your HDD and if you remember how much free space you had before you
started.

You should be made to understand that a posting like yours is worth a
great deal more than magazine articles and blogs that could have been
made by shills.

Please ignore anyone who might follow and say this is not the place to
post this. Your posting history here earned you that right.

Thank you kindly,

robinb

Hello Robin:

Firstly - congratulations on a job well done! You deserve the
satisfaction you're enjoying now.

Two hours for an upgrade probably isn't so bad. However, when you
have the chance, would you please post a brief hardware description of
the Vista SP2 system you upgraded. Make/model, CPU (clock speed and
FSB rating if you know it), 32 bit or 64 bit, amount of RAM, size of
your HDD and if you remember how much free space you had before you
started.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 3800 + 2.6 ghz
was running vista home premium 32bit
3gigs ram
160gig hd
89 gigs free
Windows had rated vista at a 3.4
Windows 7 is rated 3.6
I do not remember how much free space exactly I had before
but when I do the laptop I will check before I do it
I installed cpz and this is what I got

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 2 (max 2)
Number of threads 2 (max 2)
Name AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Package Socket AM2 (940)
CPUID F.B.2
Extended CPUID F.4B
Brand ID 4
Core Stepping BH-F2
Technology 90 nm
Core Speed 1002.1 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 5.0 x 200.4 MHz
HT Link speed 1002.1 MHz
Stock frequency 2000 MHz
Instructions sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
L1 Data cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line
size
L2 cache 2 x 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
Max FID 10.0x
Max VID 1.250 V
Windows Version Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Home Premium Edition (Build
7600)
DirectX Version 10.0
Graphic Card is Radeon X1300/X1550 Series

that help?
robin

1

1PW

robinb said:
[...]

Spot on perfect!

I can see why your system was eminently upgradeable.

Thank you again.

robinb

you are very welcome
hopefully others will have no problems upgrading to windows 7. I really
like it better than Vista
and will recommend it to all my clients who are purchasing new computers.
robin

robinb

I just did, right before I saw this post. I belong to that forum and I was
working on clients all day and did not get a chance to put it there

robin

Randy Knobloch

robinb wrote in message news:%[email protected]...
I just did, right before I saw this post. I belong to that forum and I was
working on clients all day and did not get a chance to put it there

I would hope that you did, if you are working with clients migrating to Win 7 or install new, you should be up to speed.

Good to know that you are keeping abreast of Community Content.