opening pdf files in browser

corkyalan

I have Acrobat 6.0 and Acrobat Reader 7.0 installed on XP Sp1.
When I click a pdf in a IE window, the file is opened in Acrobat 6.0
and I want it to open in Reader 7.0. I have several machines. They all
work the way I want except one and I can't find the correct place to
set the preference.

Thanks for any help.

Jan Il

Hi Corky :)

Not sure if this might do what you want, just a guess, but try the following
and see if it will help:

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to a PDF file. Right click on the file
and then select Open with...
Then scroll down the list of programs in the list and see if the Adobe 7 is
listed. IF so, click on that to set the program to open the PDF files with
and then close the dialog box and then close Windows Explorer. Then click
on a PDF file and see if it will open the file in the Adobe 7 instead of the
6.

also...

IE browser software defaults Acrobat Reader to "OFF" to display PDF files.
You can restore the setting to"ON" by finding an Acrobat document and then
opening it. Then click
Edit> Preferences> Internet>check the box next to "Display PDF in browser"

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - Windows IE [DTS/AumHa]
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

news:[email protected]...

corkyalan

That is set to Acrobat Reader 7.0.
..pdf files in a directory open with the reader
but not in IE6.

corkyalan

Acrobat 6.0 Pro shows the page if the display in browser is on.
Acrobat 6.0 Pro does not show the page if the display in browser is
off.
Regardless of the setting of the display in browser of the Acrobat
Reader 7.0
the first two statements are still true.

The other machine I have has the flag set on in both applications and
the reader displays the pdf.

Thanks for your previous input. Please re-analyze and see where I can
look next.

Andy

Jan said:
[...]

NEW INFO:

I ran ad-aware from lavasoft and removed the items it pointed out.
Now the .pdf shows in Acrobat 6.0 Pro regardless of the setting of the
display flag in Reader 7.0.
I did make the file association of .pdf to Reader 7.0

Jan said:
[...]

Hi Andy :)

Is there a specific reason why you need to have both versions on the machine
at the same time? Are there legacy issues that require you having the older
version as well as the 7? Is there a specific reason that you have to use
the Adobe Reader for your PDF's? Just asking to clarify the situation.