Open File Dialog

Boo K.M.

For some reason, I ran the Accessiblity Wizard to improve readability, and
then reset the font size of menu and button again to usual size.

Now, the Open File Dialog (the one you see for example, in Microsoft Word -
Open) appearance is ME or 98 look, not the XP style anymore. I can recognize
the icon is not XP style, and that My Computer and few others are missing in
the left panel for quick access.

How to get back the original XP style Open File Dialog? It is ugly to see
the dimmed version of that dialog.

Boo K.M.

On your desktop, right click and select Properties, in that menu make sure
that the themes tab is selected, under Theme: there is a drop-down menu,
click the arrow pointing down and select windows xp after that, you will have
to customize your desktop and screensaver again, go ahead and select the
desktop and screen saver tabs and customize the settings.

-Ryan(Wanna-be Expert)

Boo K.M.

Thank you for your advice.
I already in Windows XP theme and it seems like of inconsistency of the
appearance of Open File Dialog among various application.

In Word XP, it appears like this:
http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/8956/ofd0cq.jpg

But in IE - Open, it appears fine the original one.

Looks like it is a mess up of their internal Common Dialog/Control
libraries.
Anyway, I can stick with that now since not all of them (just figure it all
now) are the dimmed one.

Boo K.M.

If you want, the only other way I can think to change it back, is to right
click on the my computer icon on your desktop, hit properties, go to the
advanced tab, under performance click on settings, select the "Let Windows
choose what's best for my computer", hi ok and ok. If that doesnt work then
I dont know what to do. Have you restarted you computer? Then restart too.

-Ryan(Wanna-be Expert)

David Candy

The menus you see in Office aren't menus but office toolbars that look like menus - not even windows toolbars at that.

Boo K.M.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Office uses virtually nothing from windows.

Read David defending the concept of violence.
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/10/entering_the_ga.html#more

Thanks. That solved the puzzle.
My Visual Studio .NET also with the same dialog type as Word, so sometimes I
could be confused dealing with same type but different look of Open File
Dialog across various applications.

Then it is not the problem caused by resizing or icon changing done by
Accessiblity Wizard.

Boo K.M.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
The menus you see in Office aren't menus but office toolbars that look like
menus - not even windows toolbars at that.

Read David defending the concept of violence.
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/10/entering_the_ga.html#more

Yeah, I heard that for the unique Office look of menu, but never knew it was
toolbar!
Same to Microsoft Anti-Spyware menu. It is not the usual menubar, but looks
like text line and pops up a "context-menu" when click on it.

David Candy

MS didn't do the MSAS. That was done by the original company. MSAS doesn't support pull down menus (MouseButton down, drag down menu to item, MouseButton up). Clicking menus are known as popup. Windows supports both type in one. The other major menu type is drop down. You can simulate this (except they don't close) with windows menus by clicking a top level menu (which you don't do in drop down) then menus drop down as the mouse moves over them.

David Candy

It could be. The intelligence is divided between components. Some is only applied at boot. Try rebooting.

Boo K.M.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It could be. The intelligence is divided between components. Some is only
applied at boot. Try rebooting.

Read David defending the concept of violence.
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/10/entering_the_ga.html#more

Yes, I have restarted the PC when coming in this morning.
That one is okay now (Open File Dialog) - I meant I will stick to that, and
it might be a mistake where I thought that dialog changed after I did the
Accessiblity Wizard. Anyway, the Accessiblity Wizard has done something
couldn't be reverted - All buttons in web pages now BIG SIZE. I run that
Wizard again but in no way to get them back. I can accept this...since it is
in the beginning I want to enlarge things on screen...

Thank you for your helpful tips.

Boo K.M.

Boo K.M.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
MS didn't do the MSAS. That was done by the original company. MSAS doesn't
support pull down menus (MouseButton down, drag down menu to item,
MouseButton up). Clicking menus are known as popup. Windows supports both
type in one. The other major menu type is drop down. You can simulate this
(except they don't close) with windows menus by clicking a top level menu
(which you don't do in drop down) then menus drop down as the mouse moves
over them.

Read David defending the concept of violence.
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/10/entering_the_ga.html#more

You seem to know a lot about these kinds of "secret" behind.
It raise an issue to the commonality to navigate various applications within
Windows OS. I used to this, but it behaves differently in another
application also claimed to be from Microsoft - same company - as the OS
itself.

You said intelligence is divided - that's the key to this scenario.
Their headquarter and branches over the world with bunch of departments and
developers, may, even though at the minimum, breach, in term of design and
opinion.

Nothing meaningful to bring this issue up. Just a going easy discussion with
you.

Boo K.M.