Oh What a Beautiful Day!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Well, it looks like summer is finally here :)

What have you all been up to in the glorious sunshine? Stories and pictures much appreciated!

Reaction score
Stuck in a bumming office on this fine day! With deadlines to meet!

boooooo!

Mmm tempted to get a wireless connection sorted for my Lap Top, however as i was just discussing with a client it’s hard to see an LCD display in the Sun!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Working here too :( Absolutely clear skies here in Manchester though - what a change! :D

Reaction score
Office-based, desk fan not up to the job, can't reach to get the window open, urgent deadlines on five major jobs and the server keeps crashing. Just lost nearly all the work I did this morning on a Word doc and....oh well, at least the sun is shining and it's home time soon :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Oh dear! I hope all those stuck in offices manage to escape before the sun disappears :D

Don't forget to stock up on sun protection too if you're headed for the sun ;)

Reaction score
what a day! but i had to spend it baking hot in school :(

but lunch we just had a lye down on the grass :p nice and realxed lol

summer is here!!!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Me?
my time is spend loading hay on trucks and or trailers... we at least im not stuck in some office! im always out in the sun and indeed it is a nice day out here! :D

Reaction score
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

It's 8:30am and I'm in my office (in fact, I've been in my office since 7am). I'm listening to Yo Yo Ma's "Applachia Waltz." The delicate rhythms of the title track (Applachia Waltz) is drifting through my office lending it an unusual atmosphere of calm and peacefulness. I do so love these precious early morning hours that afford me the time to take stock of my life.

On my way into work I saw a Harvard student walking down the sidewalk wearing her graduation regalia (Harvard has its graduation ceremony today), with proud parents in tow, and I couldn't help but think... Ah, well. (Sometimes words cannot adequately describe the constant tempest of feelings a person is struggling with.) It was as if a violin bow passed over my soul, and brought forth a sound of pure sadness and pure joy.

I've been reading Colm Toibin's "The Master", the fictionalized story of Henry James and the life-long struggle of a life of quiet desperation ("Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way." -- Pink Floyd) And I cannot help but think that in life, there is so much that is left unsaid and undone. Am I by nature an unhappy sod? No. But I do admit to bouts of deep reflection that can wash over me, tossing me in an undercurrent of deep melancholy. Sigh... Well, enough of this.

Once again, Boston suffers under the oppresive umbrella of heat and humidity (See my post under the "Introductions" forum). I think of the 1000+ grads sitting in Harvard Yard, wearing gowns of midnight hue -- if it appears that the sunlight has ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) today, you can rest assured it's due in part to Harvard's graduation ceremony (it will be as a Black Hole has formed in Cambridge, MA, sucking all the light into its vortex). Talking about pomp and circumstance (Edward Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance Marches" is perfect for such an occassion).

I make it a point not to take the subway during Harvard's graduation. The early morning mood on the train, which on a typical day is as cheerful as a funeral on a rainy day, is suffused with so much nervous excitement and laughter, those of us on our way to our dreary jobs cannot help but hope the train conductor goes post-haste straight to the Havard -- or as the locals pronounce it, Hahvad -- station stop and let the little buggers off!

Well, I've bored all of you long enough. I must get back to my job before my boss arrives...

"Great fleas have lesser fleas
upon their backs to bite 'em
And little fleas have lesser fleas
and so ad infinitum"

Have a great day, wherever you are!

Ask a Question