Cutty Sark part 23

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
There have been numerous threads about this famous old ship but I have brought it up again because I finally got a look around her this week.

I went to Greenwich about 15 years ago to go to The Observatory which was a marvellous trip, seeing Harrison's clocks etc. I got a glimpse of the Cutty Sark but didn't have time to visit and promised myself that I would go back one day. Of course my chances of getting on board were ruined when the fire occurred all those years back. I was in Greenwich in 2012 but it was still being rebuilt.

Was there again yesterday, in really warm sunshine, after a boat trip from Westminster and finally got my wish to go on board. What a dumbo ! I forgot my camera. But I still managed to see the interior and the get all the history of the ship itself. You can also get underneath the ship now and see the new construction work which supports it.

Really worthwhile. If you get a chance to go, don't miss it, it's part of our history

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I can see the top of the masts from my living room window but I haven't been on the Cutty Sark since my schooldays. No excuse, really, I should get round to a visit. Similarly, I've never visited the Tower Of London or Madam Tussauds, both of which are in easy reach of me.

I'm not fond of the 'artificial Sea' which has been constructed around the base of the boat, nor do I like the little brown man up high on one of the sail cross spars.

I fear that soon I may not be able to see the masts from my home as two cranes have appeared either side of the boat which probably means a new building will block my view, there's a whole glut of high buildings springing up all around London, including Greenwich and whilst I appreciate we need more housing enough is enough, we won't be able to see the sky if it carries on.

Glad you enjoyed your visit Mr Niv, I was going to say you should have given me a shout and we could have met but as it happens I was in Mitcham all day yesterday attempting to sort out a whole glut of problems caused by lame brain builders.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I'm not fond of the 'artificial Sea' which has been constructed around the base of the boat,

No, I don't like it either - you lose the view of the ship's lines. However, it does hide all the supporting mechanisms that are now in place to hold the ship off the ground. The bottom of the ship was crumbling away simply due to its unsupported weight on the ground below. Suppose we can't have it both ways.

Ask a Question