Flops Travels revisited - complete

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here they are then, in all their wondrous glory, the complete itinery of below par quality video footage of an old fool travelling around his locale in a motor vehicle that was probably past it's sell by date at the time, here's the motor:

8482d1368682828-question-sir-flopps-merc.jpg

A summary:

1) Greenwich and Blackheath 27-02-06 25:35
2) London's West End 06-03-06 30:53
3) Shoreham & Eynsford 12-03-06 17:11
4) Wapping & Tower Bridge 19-03-06 30:35
5) Biggin Hill, Westerham & Hever Date unknown 43:22
6) Hastings Date unknown 33:58
7) Sandwich Date unknown 28:54
8) North Kent Orpington, Chelsfield, Sidcup, Bexleyheath. January 2008. 44:31

And the videos:

Part One, February 2006, Blackheath & Greenwich, no narration, Music is Bloc Party’s 1st album’Silent Alarm’.

Part Two, The West End of London, music Ozric Tentacles. Astute observers will note that as I leave Trafalgar Square to enter The Mall I go through a red light. I didn’t realise at the time, please don’t tell the old Bill ;) I also manage to inadvertently get stuck in a bus lane down the Strand, also illegal. Lucky for me I got nicked for neither. Note the white USA Mustang whilst queuing for Westminster Bridge.

Part Three, Shoreham and Eynsford in Kent, Disco/Trance mix. This is the most boring one of all, as most of vid spent stuck behind a slow moving van. Luckily it’s the shortest.

Part Four, Wapping, Tower Bridge, Imaginasian dance mix from 2002

Part Five, Biggin Hill, Westerham and Hever, a selection of Heavy Rock tunes

Part Six, Hastings, Red Hot Chili Peppers

Part Seven, an outing to Sandwich in Kent on a sunny day in June 2006 with some spoken commentary over a slide show part way through the vid. Music all Pink Floyd. There is a small edit in the slide show so if the narration seems a little out of sync at one stage, that's why.

EDIT: This file now hosted as Youtube put the kibosh on it over music copyright. The file is 1.26Gb and you will be able to download it until around August 7th as it does use up a big chunk of my web space. If anybody ellse wants to host it on a more permanent basis then PM me the link and I will put it into this thread here.

Here's the link: Number Seven

Part Eight, North Kent, Chiselhurst, Orpington, Bexleyheath, with a fair bit of rabbit from my good self. Music is a mixture of my fave tunes.

Reaction score
i shall be kicking back a beer or 2 later watching floppybootstomp the movie parts 1-8.:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

You're mocking me aren't you? :(

Yes, it was late at night as I started the rather lengthy upload, I had consumed some alcoholic beverage and thus managed to select the wrong file.

Drats.

Correct file uploading as we speak.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I shall be watching later. Perhaps I will discover some more good music :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That's a nice pic of your car. Imho, the style of that old model is much better than the newer ones. It might not be considered to be so aerodynamic as the newer, "rounder" versions, but it certainly looked far more distinctive.

We really enjoyed video number 8 just now... but those awfully unsporting folk at YouTube (well, SACEM or EMI to be precise...) won't allow us to view number 7....piccy below. :wall:

AAaaarrrgh! After all Sir Flopps' hard work, and weeks of patient anticipation by his fan following...? No fair!

Good music choices! I found myself dueting with the dulcet tones emanating from the Bootstomp vocal chords on several of the old favourites.... (Yes, the hills around here were certainly alive with the sound of music this morning. :D)

Could you tell me who the C&W band was please? (You probably know the one I'm referring to, you commented on it being a foot-tapper. I think part of the refrain was "...she had long black hair and eyes of blue" ...lol, I'm a bit of a dummy where C&W is concerned, but I certainly find some of it very appealing.

Thank you for going to so much trouble Flopps. I appreciate the time and effort it took to upload the videos, and your tours were much enjoyed here. (Even though I am still spitting and saying rude things about pesky SACEM/EMI! :mad:)
:cheers::cheers:

Attachments

• Flopps No 7.JPG
    Flopps No 7.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 196

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's odd TC I can view the vid here ok from the above link, perhaps it's to do with your ISP but I have no idea. Maybe try clearing cache/using CCleaner. It can also be viewed from a Forum based in Texas so really not sure what the problem is :confused:

Here is the song of which you speak:

Info:

And a performance, though there are many versions to choose from on Youtube including live performances with Sharon Shannon. I have had the pleasure of seeing both Steve Earle & Sharon Shannon at various Glastonbury festivals :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
That's odd TC I can view the vid here ok from the above link, perhaps it's to do with your ISP but I have no idea. Maybe try clearing cache/using CCleaner.
I always knew that "home rule for Wales" was a bad idea... This vid has obviously only been "banned" in Wales!! lol

CCleaner hasn't worked, I still have the same message. Tried going directly to YT too, but there I get the message, plus a 'sorry-face' emote.

Odd that. We can normally access pretty much everything.... the only exception being Scottish TV iPlayer. I tried to view a programme on that a few days ago, but it requested a Post Code, then refused permission. Even more odd really, because we've previously viewed stuff from that region.

Aww thank you for including the music vid. But Ooops! Got that a bit wrong didn't I - calling it C&W. :blush: However, hearing it this morning reminded me of some Appalatian music I played recently, on YT.

I really like this song. :D

Edit: Was still typing when Evan posted.... but yes, I noticed that also, regarding number 7 being "missing."

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I logged out of Youtube and # 7 was indeed missing but when I logged in again it shows in my video list. It seems the offending article is Pink Floyd's 'Coming Back To Life' that's why they've banned it to view in the UK.

No matter, I'll host it, it's 1.36Gb so I'll only leave it there for a month and when it's there, if you want it, grab it. I'll upload overnight.

Steve Earle, btw, would be found listed under Country and Western most anyplace, Galway Girl is a bit of a departure from his normal style. I still think his first album 'Guitar Town' is probably his best but he's done a lot of good stuff, imo.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That's really kind of you Flopps. :D

Btw, the name "Steve Earle" kept ringing a bell somewhere in the mists of my mind. Now I remember why...

A few months ago, I ordered a CD from Amazon, entitled: "Kiri - Maori Songs" by... no prizes for guessing, Kiri Te Kanawa.

As soon as Postie delivered it, I popped it onto the player. But hang on... that doesn't sound a bit like Dame Kiri... and the music was more C&W than Maori.

Evidently there had been a mix-up at the factory, and Dame Kiri's album actually contained Steve Earle's "I Feel Alright" CD. At the time, it was a bit disappointing, so I sent it back without even playing it through. Oh well... :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yep I get the same Mr Flopp's

Its banned by copyright in your country!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's hosted now, the link is in the first post. I will leave it there until around August 7th (see relevant note by link).

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just downloaded and viewed video number 7, which was muchly enjoyed here. :D

Your walkabout in Sandwich was particularly good. It looks such a leafy and picturesque town, and your commentary was great too (you cheeky-chappie you!) :cheers: .... You are such a natural for this kind of thing.

But... I've just got to know.... did you ever find the salt and pepper shakers you were seeking? Hope you struck lucky somewhere.

Once again, many thanks for all the time and trouble you've taken with uploads and what-not Flopps. It was a treat to tour around with you as your cyber-passengers. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Did I ever get the salt and pepper shakers? I must have edited that bit out and after all that it didn't really matter anyway cos Youtube blocked it. All I actually said was 'And the bitch got everything' and it really wasn't said with any malice but still..... harmony.

No, I didn't find a replacement set but today I've been thinking about this a bit and it's possible we may have travelled to a nearby coastal town to buy the cruet set cos there were no shops in Sandwich at all like the one I remember. Is it possible they all couldda ceased trading in 7 years?

Couldda sworn we bought them in Sandwich though. We camped there, I remember that, and got so sozzed had trouble finding the camp site after the pubs shut. We went there to celebrate 1st anniversary which would have made it 1987 which also means 1st daughter would have been about 6 months old, somebody must have babysat the weekend.

Me mind's going, lol.....

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Just sat and watched 7 and 8 with me milk and a bag of cheese savouries :D

Cheers for the flicks, most enjoyable watching someone elses life and I liked the voice over half way too...
Made me laugh when you went running across the road on the bridge and you went so close to the edge I thought you were gonna end up in the drink..:lol:

Ask a Question