Windows XP office xp developer install hung up

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and if I commit any faux paus please accept my apologies. I must admit I believe I got ahead of myself in an install and that has caused my issue. That being what it is, does anyone know how to stop an install that is hung up and will not allow any other install to proceed? I started installing Microsoft Office XP Developer. The install hangs at a point. No errors, it just does not proceed. If I try to go to another disk to try to install that other portion, the system tells me the other setup must be completed before the next setup can proceed. The only thing is the first setup will not complete. I have tried to go to a restore point and my computer says it cannot go to the restore points I have selected, as far back as three weeks and it will not restore to any of the points. The computer seems to be working fine except that the Office Developer setup will not complete and not other setup can start until it does.
I am running Windows XP that is completely up to date (except for the developer thing)

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I would bring up task manager and look for anything called setup or msiexec. you should be able to end task on these to stop the installation. A reboot will definitely do it.

Reaction score
Guess I should have been a little more specific. I have exited the setup via an Exit label on the setup screen, stopped processes, rebooted, powered down, restarted the same setup process numerous times, changed the configuration of the requirements and restarted the setup process and no matter what method of attempting to reset the process, nothing.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I would start with a good task manager prog. This will allow you deeper exploration of what may be happening. Process Explorer is pretty good for that. You can get it here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

The first thing that comes to mind is exisiting processes running. Google desktop, updater, etc can have an effect on how the computer performs. I have seen really wierd things happen while these progs are running. Take the system down to the basics of what is necessary to run to eliminate any software other than Windows causing problems.

I don't develop software, but have you checked prerequisites?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa163925(v=office.10).aspx

I have worked with a few developers in the past and they rely heavily on software being present to properly install or configure certain development environments. Perhaps this could be an issue?

Last edited:

Ask a Question