Windows XP XP home incomplete install

Reaction score
Tried to install XP home on an old computer using the original disks that came with the computer. Formatted disk and installed failed (bad Disk). I have a good XP Pro disk but cant get out of Home setup. How can I formant Hard Drive without a OS installed? Is there another way ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You should have the option during XP install to format the disk. If that isn't happening for some reason you should be able to find some free software online to burn a utilities disk to boot from and format your drive prior to install.

I'm sorry I can't think of a utilities program offhand to recommend, hopefully somebody else here could point you in the right direction.

You could try searching at CNET for some freebie software.

This is all assuming, of course, you have the facility to download software and burn a CD/DVD whilst the XP computer is out of action.

Good luck.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You seem to have (maybe) a borked Hard Drive?

one such HD utility program is, Seatools by Seagate. worth a bash.

See this video on how to use Seatools.

Need more info on the computer in question.

:user:

Ask a Question