Windows XP Invalid version of windows! :-s

Reaction score
Hi, i have a Dell inspiron 1300 which came with windows xp home edition and have just formatted the laptop and installed a windows xp pro edition that i have just been notified as being . because of this i cannot get updates etc. I have the license key for XP home edition but the laptop didn't come with the disk to re-install windows. I don't want to have to buy another Home Edition disk if i am already licensed. Is there any way i can download the OS to put on a disk or get it cheap somewhere? Thanks in advance.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
To use the key from the laptop you will need to get hold of a copy of XP Home from somewhere - you cannot use your XP Home key with XP Pro.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You won't be able to download it anywhere, so the only legal option is to buy a copy - unless perhaps you can think of another way of getting hold of a copy.

By the way - got any friends? ;)

Reaction score
Could i get one from Dell as they didn't provide one with my laptop? Thanks.

Also, if i buy one could i use it on more than one computer?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You would be able to use the new one on one PC and also use it on the lappy with the key from that.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Try this

You may have a hidden partition already on the laptops hard drive which would have a backup of windows xp home on it for exactly the purpose why you formatted and reinstalled..

Take a look on the laptops hard drive for a partition possibly around 4 or 5GB in size, this may contain what you are looking for plus all the original software that came with the laptop and all the laptops drivers..

If not and you have already formatted the whole thing including the backup partition, then your out of luck and will have to borrow a copy of xp from a friend or buy a copy...

Good luck..

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
If you wanna PM me your address i cvan post you a disc of windows xp home, it is the original no service packs, is this the one you require?

Ask a Question