Office Compatibility Pack Problems with Excel

B

Brooks H

I found my own solution! Even though I had installed SP3 and thought all possible updates were done, I went into Windows Update and managed to find another little obscure thing to click on to "check for updates on other products" or something like that - I intended to save the link but it won't let me back there now. It found 27 more Office XP updates that I thought were all already installed.

I uninstalled the compatability pack (from Control Panel -> programs -> Uninstall) and then applied these other 27 updates, restarted the machine when it asked, then reinstalled the compatability pack and VOILA! It works just as good as the XP machine! All xlsx files can now magically be opened! (;->)

I am, once again, a happy camper.

Submitted via EggHeadCafe
Microsoft LINQ Query Samples For Beginners
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/training...erators/33/LINQ-Standard-Query-Operators.aspx

T

tebin01

I have updated Windows XP and Office 2000 using Microsoft Update.

Then I installed the Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and
PowerPoint 2007 File Formats.

Now I can open a .docx file with Word 2000 but I get the error 'The file is
not in a recognizable format' when I open a .xlsx file with Excel 2000.

How do I solve this error problem with Excel 2000?

Hi all,
I had trouble with this one on my wife's laptop running 64bit Windows 7 andOffice 2000. You must right click the .xlsx file when in Explorer and choose 'Open With'. If there are no options listed or it lists Office it's a good sign it has the same problem I came across. Mine was blank. Choose 'Browse'. Navigate to \PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\Moc.exe. In a 64bit PC you'll find it in the (x86) directory. Your PC may be a different directorystructure than mine so do a search for Moc.exe if you can't find it. Check the box 'Always use...' and click ok. I'm guessing when installing the XML Converter it failed to find the file in (x86) because it assumed it was 64 bit. When browsing it's difficult unless you know what file to choose. Once you've set this up if you revisit the 'Open With' you'll find it is now populated with recommended programs and other programs.
Hope this helps a few people. I couldn't find a solution on Google but I noticed lots of people searching for the answer.

T

tebin01

I have updated Windows XP and Office 2000 using Microsoft Update.

Then I installed the Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and
PowerPoint 2007 File Formats.

Now I can open a .docx file with Word 2000 but I get the error 'The file is
not in a recognizable format' when I open a .xlsx file with Excel 2000.

How do I solve this error problem with Excel 2000?

After being able to open the files I found it difficult to edit and save them.

The easiest way I've found to do this is to save all .xlsx files to a directory in Windows Explorer. Select all files and right click the selection. Choose 'save as' with the .xls option. All the files to save will be listed in the task bar at the bottom now. Click OK for each to save each file until all files are saved in the 2000 format. Their names will be preserved with the 2000 extension.

You can now open all the .xls files and edit them with Office 2000. Anything 2000 doesn't understand about 2007 will be lost in this process.

If you need to send these files back in .xlsx format do the same process only this time select all .xls files and save as .xlsx. In this case the drop down has a few more save as options all for 2007.

If you were to double click a 2007 .xlsx file it converts and displays as aread only file to preserve the original. This is not a good thing to do as it leaves temporary files and it's difficult to save while preserving theoriginal name. It's the same deal for Power Point.

Documents are treated differently and can be opened directly. For them opening directly is the preferred way to do it.

This is the way it's designed to be done for XL and Power Point so it preserves the original 2007 file. The other option is to buy 2007 or 2010.

Note that I'm using Office 2000. I believe 2003 may treat things differently.

Ask a Question