Open .xlsx files in Excel 2002

Reaction score
I have Microsoft Excel 2002 installed on a computer with Windows 7 and on another computer with Windows 10.
I installed FileFormatConverters.exe from Microsoft on both in order to be able to open .slxs files in addition to .xls files.

Excel will open .xlsx files on the Windows 7 computer, but not on the Windows 10 computer.
Is FileFormatConverters.exe not compatible with Windows 10?

How can I open .xlsx files on Windows 10?
I would rather not use an online file converter.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, it does look like there are some problems with FileFormatConverters.exe in Windows 10 - at least from other reports I've read. There may be a workaround if you can manually launch the "moc.exe" application that was created in the Office app folder when installing the fileformatconverters tool.

Alternatively, you may be better off installing LibreOffice (https://www.libreoffice.org) and use that to convert the file, or use it instead of Office 2002 on the Windows 10 PC. It's really quite good :).

Reaction score
Yes, it does look like there are some problems with FileFormatConverters.exe in Windows 10 - at least from other reports I've read. There may be a workaround if you can manually launch the "moc.exe" application that was created in the Office app folder when installing the fileformatconverters tool.

Alternatively, you may be better off installing LibreOffice (https://www.libreoffice.org) and use that to convert the file, or use it instead of Office 2002 on the Windows 10 PC. It's really quite good :).
Thanks for that. I think for now I will just convert the files on the W7 machine to .xls and then open them on the W10 mackine.
I'll try Libre Office when I have to completely convert to W10.

Ask a Question