No Image showing on startup

Reaction score
As this is on behalf of a friend I'm trying to help I don't have the exact specs. I'll try, based on memory, to give the approximate system info.

Socket 939 Motherboard.
AMD Athlon 64 processor
Two sticks of 256mb DDR Ram.
High end PCI-Express Graphics card.
Harddrive
+ Sundries

This is a problem which occurred between using the computer normally one night to the following the next morning. When powered everything starts up, whirring and spinning but there is no vga beep and no image appears on the monitor. About 30 seconds after powerup two faint beeps from the case electronics.
Here is a summary of the extensive tests I've put it through so far with no results.

1.Disconnected everything except 1 stick of ram, graphics card, harddrive and monitor.
2.Swapped monitors, tried monitors on another system - everything working.
3.Swapped graphics card with a known good one.
4.Swapped memory with known good sticks.
5.Swapped Harddrives.
6.Connected everything to a known good PSU
7.Shorted CMOS jumpers, removed battery, re-reseated everything including the CPU.
8.Disconnected all chassis cables and powered it up using just the power sw cable from another case. (no faint beeps anymore but no image).
10.Bought a replacement motherboard - no joy.

Based on these tests the only thing I know that could be broken is the CPU. Not sure there's anything left that can go wrong in a commputer that, I havent been able to try (my test system has the wrong socket).

So the question is, can a fried/bad cpu cause no image to be displayed/prevent motherboard from giving BEEP error codes?

Thanks guys,

Tim

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Sounds like it can only be the CPU,

The Motherboard still works, as it beeps, and you have swopped everything else out for known working parts, so its got be really.

I take it the HS+F is working properly and that you tried reseating it with new thermal paste?? Clutching at straws really as you seem to have covered it all.

Reaction score
Demagogue said:
So the question is, can a fried/bad cpu cause no image to be displayed/prevent motherboard from giving BEEP error codes?

Tim

Yes it can if your CPU is damaged you will not get a POST (power on self test)
That means no BEEPS at all.

Look out for any lights on the board if you got some let us know.

The only real way to test this now is to get another CPU to test or take your one and test it in another board.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Going to try a new cpu - got one on order and for £20 its worth a shot. No lights whatsoever are showing on either the old MB or the new one.

Ask a Question