Confusing problem with motherboard

Reaction score
Hello,

Please have a look at my problem and post any solutions if possible

- I was given a PC to fix that had no visual output
- I tried it with another working monitor and peripherals, smoke from keyboard and burning smell occurred. Motherboard has a light but nothing else
- Keyboard and mouse no longer work
- Tried with working motherboard and new peripherals (heard a pop) no output
- Swapped back the motherboard, fan is auto when plugged into another onboard fan socket when mains cable is plugged in, mobo light on, hd starts then stops, sill no visual and no beeps
- Tried different mobo and power supply (sparks when monitor plugged in to vga)
- Only the processor is the same when testing.

So far i'm thinking that it is not the power, motherboard, ram, hardware, peripherals Could it posiibly be the processor. Its the only thing i haven't tried, i think.

The hardware i am testing it with (fan, mobo, power) are all identical so there shouldnt be any conflict.

I know it is a bit of a weird one but please advise. If you need more details let me know

Cheers

Ste

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you've seen smoke from the keyboard, that means that the motherboard is bust - it's the only thing that could cause that (it could be however that the CPU caused it to break). It's quite likely everything else is broken too - including the PSU.

That is quite a catalogue of failures: smoke from keyboard, mouse no longer works on a different PC, popping sound from new hardware, sparks from PSU. I really doubt it's just the processor causing this!

Personally, I'd write most of the system off. Try the HDD/Mem in another PC, but I wouldn't be surprised if everything is fried given the problems you've described. I wouldn't add any working hardware into that machine to test things, as it could be fried too.

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. It seems very strange to me because the only constant in the testing is the cpu but I too cant see how it would cause other failures to working hardware.

Oh well, just put it down to one of those things I suppose.

Cheers

Ask a Question