Newsgroups in Vista/MS Mail

Craig Henrikson

Hi -- Everything I can fine seems to indicate that opening Microsoft Mail in
Vista should, somehow, provide a listing of subscribed newsgroups. I can
get to the newsgroup listing using the "Tools" option but this is certainly
NOT the way it should work. Have I set something up incorrectly?
Everything was fine in Express, with the listing ladder showing inbox, etc.
But nothing like that here. HELP (please).

Craig

Scott

Hi -- Everything I can fine seems to indicate that opening Microsoft Mail

Dang! I didn't know Microsoft Mail was still around, let alone in a
Vista-compatible version.

I remember it quite well back in the Windows 3.1 days. We had it on
our network. But I don't recall Usenet support at all. In fact, it
didn't connect to anything outside our network.

Donald McDaniel

Scott said:
Dang! I didn't know Microsoft Mail was still around, let alone in a
Vista-compatible version.

I remember it quite well back in the Windows 3.1 days. We had it on
our network. But I don't recall Usenet support at all. In fact, it
didn't connect to anything outside our network.

Where've you been, dude?
1) Vista's email program is called "Windows Mail", not "Microsoft Mail".
2) "Microsoft Mail and Newsgroups" has not been used since Outlook Express
replaced it. (even though the OE executable has always been called "msimn.exe"
["Microsoft Internet Mail and News"]).
3) Outlook Express has always had Usenet Support.
4) Outlook Express is no longer under development by Microsoft.
5) Windows Mail replaced Outlook Express on Vista.
6) Windows Mail, like Outlook Express before it, has Usenet Support.

Scott

Where've you been, dude?
1) Vista's email program is called "Windows Mail", not "Microsoft Mail".

I'm aware of this. Did you intend to respond to me, or the person who
whom I was responding.
2) "Microsoft Mail and Newsgroups" has not been used since Outlook Express
replaced it. (even though the OE executable has always been called "msimn.exe"
["Microsoft Internet Mail and News"]).
3) Outlook Express has always had Usenet Support.
4) Outlook Express is no longer under development by Microsoft.
5) Windows Mail replaced Outlook Express on Vista.
6) Windows Mail, like Outlook Express before it, has Usenet Support.

And before all that there was a program called "Microsoft Mail" which
only ran on an internal LAN.

M (then) employer ran it on their network back in 1994. It pre-dated
Windows 95.

There seem to be a few clueless folks in this thread.

So let me spell it out for everyone.

The app referred to by the original poster was mistakenly (or
ignorantly?) referred to as "MS Mail".

In fact what the poster was referring to is "Windows Mail".

I was making light of this mistake.

Comprende?

I find it amusing that Microsoft has gone out of it's way to add the
"Windows" label to any number of it's products only to have the masses
replace the word "Windows" with "Microsoft" or 'MS".

Back to the drawing board MS. It didn't work.

--
Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
NOTICE: In-Newsgroup (and therefore off-topic) comments on my sig will
be cheerfully ignored, so don't waste our time.