mail newsgroups headers

Smiler

Hi,
Quite new to newsgroups within vista mail. In the past when I have used
newsgroups and subscribed, I manage to be able to follow posts or look at
messages from weeks ago. All I seem to be getting is 137 headers or whatever
there called.Tried unsubscribing, reset etc. Do newsgroups work like normal
mail that once you've downloaded you need to keep a copy on the server or
you won't get that message ever again I posted a message yesterday and had
to online to the Microsoft online newsgroup and search for my post.

Hope this doesn't sound as muddled as it sounds to me.
Also I'll say thanks now just in case I can't read this message again. lol

Smiler

Smiler

Hi,
Now I got this in red at the top of my list of the 137 and can reply but
can't see the message I posted yesterday (about another problem).
Hope that helps a little more explaining my nonsense.
Smiler

mac

Smiler said:
Hi,
Quite new to newsgroups within vista mail. In the past when I have used
newsgroups and subscribed, I manage to be able to follow posts or look at
messages from weeks ago. All I seem to be getting is 137 headers or
whatever there called.Tried unsubscribing, reset etc. Do newsgroups work
like normal mail that once you've downloaded you need to keep a copy on
the server or you won't get that message ever again I posted a message
yesterday and had to online to the Microsoft online newsgroup and search
for my post.

Hope this doesn't sound as muddled as it sounds to me.
Also I'll say thanks now just in case I can't read this message again. lol

Smiler

It normally takes around 4 minutes for a NNTP post to appear locally.

Newsgroups on the MS server are only retained for 90 days, on some high
volume groups, such as the .general groups, it can be less.

To ensure that you have all available messages go to tools>options>read tab
and remove the check mark from Get ### headers>apply/ok.

Ensure that you have the sync setting for each group set to "all messages".

For postings back to the 80's I search using
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en

For groups other than MS:
Go here http://www.motzarella.org/ it is a free news server, but you have to
register, and they send you the set up instructions by email, so use a real
address to register, then use a munged address in the account setup process.

You ought to consider mungeing your posting address on this MS account?
Maybe (e-mail address removed) ?

Get back if you need more info?

Smiler

Hi,
Followed your instructions but still can't get yesterdays posts!!! When I
set this up yesterday I got 300 headers from at least a few days ago. Have
unchecked the 300 part and also the synch setting is fine.
Getting your reply to this but you also replied to my message ( Contacts
mail searching) yesterday and that does not appear in the list.
Thanks for the tip on the email address was wondering when I set it up about
that. I have now put some rubbish in the Microsoft one so I will see if that
works.

mac

Smiler said:
Hi,
Followed your instructions but still can't get yesterdays posts!!! When I
set this up yesterday I got 300 headers from at least a few days ago.
Have unchecked the 300 part and also the synch setting is fine.
Getting your reply to this but you also replied to my message ( Contacts
mail searching) yesterday and that does not appear in the list.
Thanks for the tip on the email address was wondering when I set it up
about that. I have now put some rubbish in the Microsoft one so I will see
if that works.

Open to each of your newsgroup>tools menu>Get new headers.

Tools>options>general tab, disable "use newsgroup message rating
feature">apply.

If that does not bring in any more headers, try right click on the newsgroup
in the folder list>properties>local file>reset.

Smiler

Hi,
Still the same mate, well the total is 144 now but that's all. tried
everything as listed again. :-(
Thanks
Smiler

Smiler

Hi,
Just thought I'd try exporting and deleting and re-importing to see if that
worked.
Then tried another reset and bingo its all back thanks Mac
Thanks again.
I do hate things like that when I can't resolve something myself
Smiler

mac

Smiler said:
Hi,
Just thought I'd try exporting and deleting and re-importing to see if
that worked.
Then tried another reset and bingo its all back thanks Mac
Thanks again.
I do hate things like that when I can't resolve something myself
Smiler

Smiler, explain to me what you mean exactly by "exporting and deleting and
re-importing" please?

Smiler

Hi,
Went into Tools> Accounts and exported the Microsoft communities account,
then removed it and imported it back into Mail. Downloaded list and
subscribed then reset it as you described. It did the trick. Whether I'll
remember that one in the future if it happens again, I don't know. I do
prefer forums usually, but might go back to this one again. can you point to
a good newsgroup to help out with remote assistant.
Thanks again though Mac.
Smiler

Smiler

Hi,
Still not right though as it seems to take a lifetime for new headers to
come through.....waited ages for a new post by me, I had to reset again.

mac

Smiler said:
Hi,
Still not right though as it seems to take a lifetime for new headers to
come through.....waited ages for a new post by me, I had to reset again.

The server is VERY slow today, it has been taking 15 minutes for my messages
to show.

Have patience :))

Try

Can't see a similar one for Vista, but not much difference.

Smiler

Thanks mate for all your help.
:)