New Toys

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bought myself a few new toys recently.

I can only play CoD 2 online on my bedroom machine, a single core CPU setup based around a socket A XP3200. The game crashes on my dual core machine which apparently is a common problem.

I have 5.1 speakers setup, the two rear speakers are on stands and it sound pretty good.

So I thought I’d try a Creative OEM X-Fi Audio sound card £30.54 plus postage from overclockers.co.uk.

Here’s a pic:

001a.jpg

A Link

The card came with a CD that had drivers plus some useful software. There is a media player and audio converter on the CD, here’s a few screen grabs:

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

After I’d set it up for 5.1 sound, adjusted the bass settings and set the graphic eq, I played some music.

My my, does it ever sound sweet, it absolutely knocks spots off the onboard AC97 sound. The motherboard is a DFI LAN Party Ultra II B, btw.

I’m hearing things in the music I hadn’t noticed before and the bass is really very very good. The speakers are made by Hercules and to be honest I hadn’t been impressed with them previously but suddenly they seemed to come alive. Superb :)

Next I tried CoD 2 online. I know V_R has recently bought a soundcard and has said how he can hear enemies creeping up on him, I can only confirm it’s true.

There is a clarity, a crispness, a clearness with the sound now, it’s as if a whole new presence has been added.

So, there ya go, for a little over thirty quid (although OCUK’s postage charge is £8.50) a very worthwhile upgrade imo.

The DVD burner I had in this machine had been playing up, I was getting quite a few failed burns. It was a Pioneer 110, about two years, maybe two and a half years, old.

So I bought an NEC SATA DVDRW, cost about £21.00, in black. Here’s a pic of the back of it showing SATA connections, seemed quite odd to me after all those years of PATA connections.

007.jpg

I’ve burnt 8 CD’s on it so far and haven’t had a dud, so seems the Pioneer was on it’s last legs.

Just by way of mentioning, using a SATA connection for the DVDRW freed up an IDE/PATA connection, so I was able to install a spare 120Gb hard disk I had.

The main hard disk in this machine is in a swappable caddy, I have four of them which makes it very easy and handy to mess about with Linux Distros.

The disk with XP Pro on is 60Gb and I use the machine primarily for video and audio editing. And CoD 2 of course ;)

The rest of the disks are 3 120Gb's, two SATA and one PATA, giving me a total of 420Gb of space.

Next new toy was an external enclosure, an Icy Box model, takes IDE/PATA drives and works on USB. I had a spare Samsung 160GB hard disk which I fitted and I’m using this for selective backup on all machines.

That's my main dual core machine it's plugged into, first pic taken with no flash, to show the blue lights on it, 2nd pic taken with flash for clarity. The blue lights flicker when the hard drive is active :cool:

(You will all, of course, ignore the dust on my case & keyboard :D )

001.jpg

002.jpg

And finally, I had an MX1000 mouse on this machine which, after being used a Logi G7 mouse, actually seemed a little slow and sluggish when playing CoD 2. So I bought a Boomslang Razer Copperhead corded mouse, the green flavour.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

All I can say is that this is the most sensitive mouse I’ve ever used, it is perhaps a little too sensitive. It is also possibly the best looking mouse I’ve ever owned.

There is software I can use to adjust the sensitivity but so far haven’t had a tinker. I have played a little CoD 2 online with it and done ok but it’s going to take some getting used to. I don’t notice that it’s corded which I thought I may do after using cordless mice for several years.

My initial thoughts are that it isn’t as comfortable to hold as the Logi G7, prime gripe being that the scroll/click button seems ill-placed to me, as I only have small hands.

Still, I’ll give it a few days and hopefully I’ll get used to it. As I mentioned, it’s very very sensitive, I only have to look at it and it moves 2cm :D

I’ll report back on how I get on with the Boomslang in a few days time, I am optimistic it will be good as it handles ever so well and is extremely responsive, just a little worried about the grip of it in my hand.

So there ya go, new toys, I also bought a tub of CD-R’s and ten dual layer DVD+R’s, the first ones I’ve ever bought (ten for ten pounds, Datawrite) and the whole lot inc postage came to £130.00.

There’s nothing like a few new toys on a cold winter’s day to warm a fella’s heart :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Very nice Flopp's very nice....:D

How much was the NEC dvd-rw as I might have to get meself one of those...;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
How much was the NEC dvd-rw as I might have to get meself one of those...

FBS said:
So I bought an NEC SATA DVDRW, cost about £21.00, in black
;)

Some nice bits there Flops - never realised a seperate sound card would make such a difference, so I may just have to get out my credit card :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
How much was the NEC dvd-rw as I might have to get meself one of those...;)

£22.31 from overclockers inc VAT.

But their postage is £8.50, seems to be a standard charge no matter how many items you buy so only seems to be worthwhile if you're buying a multi item order.

It may be worth looking around if that's the only item you want to buy.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice nice, So hows the software for the x-fi? big and bloated i guess? I notice the console is a little different, do you get the mode selector? (to switch between Entertainment, Audio creation and Game modes?) No matter, if not tbh it dont make much difference..

I like that mouse, Just gonna fire up CoD2 in a bit, so what Server you gonna be on Mr Slippery??? I'll be over at Efrag or Fragzone if your about. :D

Nice to see your pleased with all your new toys, You deserve some more good vibes your way. :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
always wanted a X-Fi, but didnt know if it was worth it. :D
i dont fancy the razer mouse though, too unconventional to me

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Just gonna fire up CoD2 in a bit, so what Server you gonna be on Mr Slippery??? I'll be over at Efrag or Fragzone if your about. :D

Decided to have a little CoD 1 tonight.

Damn, I'm good :cool:

:lol:

cod1220307.jpg

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey your getting to good flopps I'll have to take you on one night, and you can show me how to play...:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't realise how much of a difference a quality card like that would make - I think I have an Audidgy 2 card in this machine, so it's somewhere in between onboard and the X-Fi I guess.

I can't wait to build my next machine, but I suspect that will be a couple of years away still as it just keeps on going :lol:

Glad you're enjoying the new toys :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice going Flops! you do love your Brecourt 24/7! :thumb: I cant remember the last time i played the original CoD. So do you notice your kill count going up with the new audio?
Ian said:
I didn't realise how much of a difference a quality card like that would make - I think I have an Audidgy 2 card in this machine, so it's somewhere in between onboard and the X-Fi I guess.
Nor me when i got mine, as Flops put it, it makes the audio 'come alive' Dont think i could go back to onboard now....:blush:

Ask a Question