New Toy

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
After 21 Months decided to upgrade video card, changed from GTX 560 1Gb to GTX 660 2Gb, a modest upgrade but a noticeable one. New core chipset, more memory, faster everything but tbh no immediately obvious visual improvements except for one thing.

Skyrim had stuttered a little when it got busy, it doesn't anymore. And that's it, so far, but at least I know I have a card that can handle most everything now. The GTX 560 went into my new AMD machine, it won't go to waste, but it does mean I now have a GTX 9800 512Mb spare.

Temps are good, noise level is excellent, better than GTX 560. It came with full version of Futuremark's Benchmark program and a free copy of new game Metro Last Light, which was pretty good. It cost £171 including next day delivery, would have cost £165 for 3-5 day delivery. I bought it from Novatech, mostly cos they had the free game with the card.

I have installed MSI's Afterburner overclocking software but tbh it ain't exactly user-friendly imo and thus far I have not a clue how to use it or what to do with it, bar sliding some sliders over a bit. Not really impressed with it so far.

Some pix:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

The old:

010.jpg

The new

011.jpg

012.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks good Flops :thumb:. Can it handle everything cranked up right to the max on Skyrim?

I've still got a 560GTX and it runs everything well for now, although I don't get much of a chance to stretch it :blush:.

Your 2nd PC is looks pretty decent spec-wise!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You must have dropped on a well paid job to afford one of those flops.Happy gaming mate. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Haven't tried Skyrim maxed out yet AFAIK, not actually sure what settings I have on it but I do know it's on max res and looks pretty good, I'll have to check out the rest of the settings.

Abarb, I'd actually had the money put by for some time but I'd been umming and ahhing about whether I needed a new graphics card or not. I think I've made the right decision, as grpahics cards go it is quite a modest upgrade to my GTX560 but I think the better specs and the extra memory are keeping me up to date, if not at the cutting edge of things.

Biggest surprise of all: Metro Last Light is a very good game! :eek: Nothing like it's predecessor, Metro 2033, this one plays as a good looking first person shooter. There is some stealth involved in places and I don't like stealth games generally speaking, but the stealth is quite mild and tolerable imo.

I know when a game's good when I keep wanting to go back to it and I do with this one. Also, as the game's still full price it's kinda like the equivalent of thirty quid off the 171 I paid for the card. Sort of. Kind of. Oh, you know what I mean :D

One thing about the game made me turn my nose up though, right from the off there's poxy DLC :mad: Out the box there is only one mode to play in, if you want to play in the 'Ranger' mode (I think it's harder) you have to pay for it. Looks like those game publishers are brazen now, at least when 'DLC' first came about they'd have the decency to wait a couple of months before offering any 'extras' to make it look as though they'd made some more but not now, oh no - buy the game and straight away they want more money off of you.

It's enough to make a dishonest person of me... ;)

CSB

Reaction score
Loving the new card Flops. Now I'm the one with an outdated system lol

I'd have to do something about the cable management though as I'v always believed it can help with air flow, but then its probably hardly any difference when it comes to temps when you case has a nice HSF. Is it Noctua or another brand? Just reminds me of mine, but I don't have the second fan attached as my Corsair Memory cooler gets in the way.

All I have left to say is Very nice, very nice indeed. What did you say you were doing with the GTX 9800 512Mb ?

P.s Time to update your PCReview PC specs regarding your new shiny 660 graphics card. Wish I could change mine:(

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Cable management? Temps? CPU @ 34C - that'll do me. And yes, Noctua cooler with a pair of Noctua 120mm fans in push-pull config plus case fans. Surprisingly quiet, all Antec case fans on lowest setting = quiet.

8498d1370381239-new-toy-speccy-04-06-13.jpg

Not sure what I'm doing with 9800 card yet, thinking about putting it in media machine then could play Call Of Duty 4 online on big TV screen (37") but not sure. If I want to sell it I'll PM you (CSB) with first offer, I won't ask a lot for it.

Attachments

• Speccy 04-06-13.JPG
    Speccy 04-06-13.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 265

CSB

Reaction score
Cheers Flops

34C - couldn't ask for more than that without water cooling could you. I've thought about water cooling, but then you have to use chemicals or whatever to stop the water turning your inner clear tubes a nice green or blue colour (colour depending on if you live in a hovel like mucks)

Do you really get much benefits with water cooling? Anyway, enjoy the smooth frame rates to your games Flops.:thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Looks good sir. :)

Happy gaming. :thumb:.

Ask a Question