New File Problem

E/B

Club newsletter sent as .pdf file ("Tattler 1-12-10") now will not open.
Click on file link receives "filelib_download.asp" instead of .pdf.
Attempted to relate the .asp to be opened by AdobeRdr without success.
Non-tech type would again like to read the weekly newsletter.

E/B

Sorry
The email was sent to my Yahoo mail which is found in my IE6 browser so
thought that was appropriate.
Just trying to find out why the attachment is showing .asp vice .PDF
which it has been in the past.
Glad to sent the problem to another newsgroup if you will point me.
Thanks

: How does your question pertain to Internet Explorer?
:
: E/B wrote:
: > Club newsletter sent as .pdf file ("Tattler 1-12-10") now will not
open.
: > Click on file link receives "filelib_download.asp" instead of .pdf.
: > Attempted to relate the .asp to be opened by AdobeRdr without
success.
: > Non-tech type would again like to read the weekly newsletter.

E/B

Added research has revealed the following:
Original email forwarded to a Yahoo account in Firefox functions
correctly. The .pdf file extension is reflected when internal email link
"Tattler: 1 -12 - 10" is clicked and the Tattler newsletter opens.

: Sorry
: The email was sent to my Yahoo mail which is found in my IE6 browser
so
: thought that was appropriate.
: Just trying to find out why the attachment is showing .asp vice .PDF
: which it has been in the past.
: Glad to sent the problem to another newsgroup if you will point me.
: Thanks
:
: :: How does your question pertain to Internet Explorer?
::
:: E/B wrote:
:: > Club newsletter sent as .pdf file ("Tattler 1-12-10") now will not
: open.
:: > Click on file link receives "filelib_download.asp" instead of .pdf.
:: > Attempted to relate the .asp to be opened by AdobeRdr without
: success.
:: > Non-tech type would again like to read the weekly newsletter.
:
:

E/B

More experimenting without plan finally yielded Tattler file opening.
Have no idea why it opened, but I:
- clicked on "Tattler: 1 12 10" link in original email which
produced the small window with File Download "filelib_download.asp";
Open or Save; clicked Open.
- Scanning Completed window immediately covered by Open
File...Security Warning; clicked Open
- Popup blocker blocked 'something'; turned Blocker off.
- Again clicked on Open in the "filelib......." and received another
"Open File... Security Warning" still showing .asp.
- Clicked on the Open button and the .pdf Tattler file opened for
reading.
Knowing 'why' would be great; how to have the .pdf file open on original
email instead of being shown as .asp would be better. My result was from
'pushing keys'.

: Added research has revealed the following:
: Original email forwarded to a Yahoo account in Firefox functions
: correctly. The .pdf file extension is reflected when internal email
link
: "Tattler: 1 -12 - 10" is clicked and the Tattler newsletter opens.
:
: :: Sorry
:: The email was sent to my Yahoo mail which is found in my IE6 browser
: so
:: thought that was appropriate.
:: Just trying to find out why the attachment is showing .asp vice .PDF
:: which it has been in the past.
:: Glad to sent the problem to another newsgroup if you will point me.
:: Thanks
::
:: ::: How does your question pertain to Internet Explorer?
:::
::: E/B wrote:
::: > Club newsletter sent as .pdf file ("Tattler 1-12-10") now will not
:: open.
::: > Click on file link receives "filelib_download.asp" instead of
..pdf.
::: > Attempted to relate the .asp to be opened by AdobeRdr without
:: success.
::: > Non-tech type would again like to read the weekly newsletter.
::
::
:
:

Robert Aldwinckle

E/B said:
More experimenting without plan finally yielded Tattler file opening.
Have no idea why it opened, but I:
- clicked on "Tattler: 1 12 10" link in original email which
produced the small window with File Download "filelib_download.asp";
Open or Save; clicked Open.
- Scanning Completed window immediately covered by Open
File...Security Warning; clicked Open
- Popup blocker blocked 'something'; turned Blocker off.
- Again clicked on Open in the "filelib......." and received another
"Open File... Security Warning" still showing .asp.
- Clicked on the Open button and the .pdf Tattler file opened for
reading.
Knowing 'why' would be great; how to have the .pdf file open on original
email instead of being shown as .asp would be better. My result was from
'pushing keys'.

The best way would be to trace the interaction with Fiddler2.
Then you would likely see that there was a conflict between the MIME type
and the file extension. You might be able to ignore the MIME type and
just pay attention to the file extension by overriding a default security option:

[Disable] Open files base on content, not file extension

Tip: keystrokes after doubleclicking on security zone icon to open
Security Settings dialog to make that change are: Alt-C,M,O,D,Space

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

E/B

OK. Took Fiddler2 but you are 'way over my head. Sorry to be stupid but
how do I use it to identify/solve the .pdf/.asp problem?
Direct communication OK if that will make it easier.

:
[...]
: ---
:
:
: >
: > : > : Added research has revealed the following:
: > : Original email forwarded to a Yahoo account in Firefox
functions
: > : correctly. The .pdf file extension is reflected when internal
email
: > link
: > : "Tattler: 1 -12 - 10" is clicked and the Tattler newsletter opens.
: > :
: > : : > :: Sorry
: > :: The email was sent to my Yahoo mail which is found in my IE6
browser
: > : so
: > :: thought that was appropriate.
: > :: Just trying to find out why the attachment is showing .asp vice
..PDF
: > :: which it has been in the past.
: > :: Glad to sent the problem to another newsgroup if you will point
me.
: > :: Thanks
: > ::
: > :: : > ::: How does your question pertain to Internet Explorer?
: > :::

E/B said:
OK. Took Fiddler2 but you are 'way over my head. Sorry to be stupid but
how do I use it to identify/solve the .pdf/.asp problem?

Did you get it to trace the request and response for the download?
If so, extract the headers from the response and post them here.

Did you try changing the security settings for the workaround?

Good luck

Robert
---

: > ::: E/B wrote:
: > ::: > Club newsletter sent as .pdf file ("Tattler 1-12-10") now will
not
: > :: open.
: > ::: > Click on file link receives "filelib_download.asp" instead of
: > .pdf.
: > ::: > Attempted to relate the .asp to be opened by AdobeRdr without
: > :: success.
: > ::: > Non-tech type would again like to read the weekly newsletter.
: > ::
: > ::
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:

E/B

Have HTTP Debugging Proxy displayed and it shows 2 entries: a Fiddler2
and a tools.google.
Have no idea what you mean about 'trace the request.......'.
I admit to needing to be led by the hand for any of these technical
approaches. Like many I just 'use' the computer and yell for help when
things go awry.

:
: > OK. Took Fiddler2 but you are 'way over my head. Sorry to be stupid
but
: > how do I use it to identify/solve the .pdf/.asp problem?
:
:
: Did you get it to trace the request and response for the download?
: If so, extract the headers from the response and post them here.
:
: Did you try changing the security settings for the workaround?
:
:
: Good luck
:
: Robert
: ---
:
:
: > Direct communication OK if that will make it easier.
: >
: > : > :
[...]
: > : ---
: > :
: > :
: > : >
[...]
: > : > ::
: > : > :: : > : > ::: How does your question pertain to Internet Explorer?
: > : > :::

E/B said:
Have HTTP Debugging Proxy displayed and it shows 2 entries: a Fiddler2
and a tools.google.
Have no idea what you mean about 'trace the request.......'.

That's what Fiddler does. ; )

I admit to needing to be led by the hand for any of these technical
approaches. Like many I just 'use' the computer and yell for help when
things go awry.

Start Fiddler and use its WinInet menu to change your connection
to use a proxy. Then when you make a request via IE you will be
able to see it in the Web Sessions frame and inspect its details with
the Inspectors tab. Press F8 and F6 if necessary. What you want
to see if the response which contains the pdf file being downloaded.
In particular I'm assuming that you will probably see Content-type:
indicating something other than pdf to account for your symptom.

But if you don't care about diagnosing your symptom
please try the workaround I suggested and about which
you *still* have not responded.

Good luck

Robert
---

E/B

OK. Operating in the blind but here's my best description:

- Disabled the Security item when you first suggested that approach.
Sorry for not mentioning it; Security tab remains 'Disabled'.
- Here is one of the Fiddler2 WebSessions URL's copied from the long
list:
http://www.suntree.com/club/scripts...d.asp?CLNK=1&GRP=&NS=&FID=116541&APP=201which shows in the Content Type column .pdf -Clicking on Inspectors and then Headers the top half shows a .aspwhile in the bottom half in Headers it shows .pdf in Entity andMiscellaneous.I admit to just guessing where to go, but if you point me for some otherdata I'll try to provide it."Robert Aldwinckle" <[email protected]> wrote in message"E/B" <[email protected]> wrote in message> Have HTTP Debugging Proxy displayed and it shows 2 entries: aFiddler2: > and a tools.google.: > Have no idea what you mean about 'trace the request.......'.::: That's what Fiddler does. ; )::: > I admit to needing to be led by the hand for any of these technical: > approaches. Like many I just 'use' the computer and yell for helpwhen: > things go awry.::: Start Fiddler and use its WinInet menu to change your connection: to use a proxy. Then when you make a request via IE you will be: able to see it in the Web Sessions frame and inspect its details with: the Inspectors tab. Press F8 and F6 if necessary. What you want: to see if the response which contains the pdf file being downloaded.: In particular I'm assuming that you will probably see Content-type:: indicating something other than pdf to account for your symptom.:: But if you don't care about diagnosing your symptom: please try the workaround I suggested and about which: you *still* have not responded.::: Good luck:: Robert: ---:::

Robert Aldwinckle

E/B said:
OK. Operating in the blind but here's my best description:

- Disabled the Security item when you first suggested that approach.
Sorry for not mentioning it; Security tab remains 'Disabled'.
- Here is one of the Fiddler2 WebSessions URL's copied from the long
list:

Thanks for the link. It helps.

which shows in the Content Type column .pdf -Clicking on Inspectors and then Headers
the top half shows a .aspwhile in the bottom half in Headers it shows .pdf
in Entity andMiscellaneous.I admit to just guessing where to go,
but if you point me for some otherdata I'll try to provide it.

I didn't see that. I got a prompt to Open or Save. Clicking Open
caused it to open in Acrobat Reader. No sign of an aspwhile.
Perhaps the site was changed?

<Fiddler>
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Connection: close
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:50:54 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
Expires: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:10:54 GMT
Cache-control: private

%PDF-1.4
%âãÏÓ

</Fiddler>

However, I'm using IE8 to read this which would account for the
header. I wouldn't expect an IE6 user to get that.

I guess I forgot to tell you to click on the Reponse Headers button
but I think you found that anyway? Good work. ; )

HTH

Robert
---

E/B

The text of the original email I received which started all my confusion
and instigated my cry for help is:

"To view The Tattler (PDF format), please click the link below:
Tattler: 1-19-10"
"/club/page_navig.asp?CLNK=1&APC=FILELIB_DOWNLOAD&GRP=&NS=&FID=116541"

Your latest comment: "I got a prompt to Open or Save. Clicking Open
: caused it to open in Acrobat Reader. No sign of an aspwhile."
prompted me to go back to the beginning and I found the following which
is the full sequence of what I have to do to gain access to the .pdf
newsletter in IE6:

-Clicking on the Tattler link yields a small AdAware File Download
window with the .asp name and the Adobe PDF Reader as the type.
-Clicking on Open provides another small window "Open File -
Security Warning" with the .asp name and PDF type.
-Again clicking on Open provides a third small window "100% of
filelib_download.asp from ....".
-Clicking on the Open button yields another 'Open File - Security
Warning' window.
-Again clicking on the Open button I receive an Open With ....
window showing the "filelib_download.asp" with Adobe Reader 9.3 and
Internet Explorer as the Recommended Programs to open that file.
-Clicking on OK takes me back to the Open File - Security Warning
small window and finally, clicking Open presents a readable Tattler
newsletter.

Something is rotten in Denmark. Felt outlining the complete cycle was
justified and would present my frustration with the process. Also, if
the email is forwarded to Firefox there isn't any problem - the .pdf
opens first click on the Tattler link. Last, this problem has not
existed in IE6 until now; prior pdf files have opened first click.
Don't have any other .pdf emails with which to compare this process.

:
: > OK. Operating in the blind but here's my best description:
: >
: > - Disabled the Security item when you first suggested that
approach.
: > Sorry for not mentioning it; Security tab remains 'Disabled'.
: > - Here is one of the Fiddler2 WebSessions URL's copied from the
long
: > list:
:
: >
http://www.suntree.com/club/scripts/filelib/filelib_download.asp?CLNK=1&GRP=&NS=&FID=116541&APP=201
:
:
: Thanks for the link. It helps.
:
:
: > which shows in the Content Type column .pdf -Clicking on
Inspectors and then Headers
: > the top half shows a .aspwhile in the bottom half in Headers it
shows .pdf
: > in Entity andMiscellaneous.I admit to just guessing where to go,
: > but if you point me for some otherdata I'll try to provide it.
:
: I didn't see that. I got a prompt to Open or Save. Clicking Open
: caused it to open in Acrobat Reader. No sign of an aspwhile.
: Perhaps the site was changed?
:
: <Fiddler>
: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
: Connection: close
: Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:50:54 GMT
: Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
: Expires: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:10:54 GMT
: Cache-control: private
:
: %PDF-1.4
: %
:
: </Fiddler>
:
: However, I'm using IE8 to read this which would account for the
: header. I wouldn't expect an IE6 user to get that.
:
: I guess I forgot to tell you to click on the Reponse Headers button
: but I think you found that anyway? Good work. ; )
:
:
: HTH
:
: Robert
: ---
:
:

E/B

This should be the final gasp from here.
Have found the opening process can be shortened by clicking on the
Tattler link, saving the File Download (still shows the .asp) to My
Documents and then clicking on the My Docs entry. PDF file opens. Still
doesn't answer why the pdf file is showing as a .asp in IE but will have
to live with what works.

[...]
: ::
: :: > OK. Operating in the blind but here's my best description:
:: >
[...]
:: Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:50:54 GMT
:: Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
:: Expires: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:10:54 GMT
:: Cache-control: private
::
:: %PDF-1.4
:: %
::
:: </Fiddler>
::
:: However, I'm using IE8 to read this which would account for the
:: header. I wouldn't expect an IE6 user to get that.
::
:: I guess I forgot to tell you to click on the Reponse Headers button
:: but I think you found that anyway? Good work. ; )
::
::
:: HTH
::
:: Robert
:: ---
::
::
:
:

E/B

Trying out Chrome Google as browser and note the Tattler pdf file opens
directly same as in Firefox. IE6 browser only problem area. Remain
confused.

[...]
:: :::
:: ::: > OK. Operating in the blind but here's my best description:
::: >
[...]
::: Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:50:54 GMT
::: Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
::: Expires: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:10:54 GMT
::: Cache-control: private
:::
::: %PDF-1.4
::: %
:::
::: </Fiddler>
:::
::: However, I'm using IE8 to read this which would account for the
::: header. I wouldn't expect an IE6 user to get that.
:::
::: I guess I forgot to tell you to click on the Reponse Headers button
::: but I think you found that anyway? Good work. ; )
:::
:::
::: HTH
:::
::: Robert
::: ---
:::
:::
::
::
:
:

Robert Aldwinckle

E/B said:
The text of the original email I received which started all my confusion
and instigated my cry for help is:

"To view The Tattler (PDF format), please click the link below:
Tattler: 1-19-10"
"/club/page_navig.asp?CLNK=1&APC=FILELIB_DOWNLOAD&GRP=&NS=&FID=116541"

Your latest comment: "I got a prompt to Open or Save. Clicking Open
: caused it to open in Acrobat Reader. No sign of an aspwhile."
prompted me to go back to the beginning and I found the following which
is the full sequence of what I have to do to gain access to the .pdf
newsletter in IE6:
-Clicking on the Tattler link yields a small AdAware File Download
window with the .asp name and the Adobe PDF Reader as the type.

I don't have AdAware. Perhaps you should disable or uninstall it?

[...]

What are you trying to do? If you want the .pdf to open in IE
you need to use the AR options (e.g. via Ctrl-k to check,
on the Internet tab, Display PDF in browser). If that is checked
and it still doesn't open in IE I would use AR's Repair tool.
E.g. in Add/Remove Programs and with both AR and IE closed
click on Change and Repair. Any time IE changes it may be necessary
to repair or reinstall its add-ons. AR has always been a prime example of that.

Oops. Looks like you also have to Enable the Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper
add-on. Who knew?

Hmm... after a repair that option was checked but the helper wasn't enabled?
When unchecking the option (to toggle it) AR tells me it wants to reboot!
How stupid is that? FWIW this is with AR 8.2 I never had so much trouble
with any earlier version.

Well, it's not AR. It's the file that you're downloading...

http://www.isispower.com/filebase/src/Manuals/2_cell_inLINK.pdf

(BING search for
inlink:pdf
- BING misinterpreted what I was looking for but this was good enough as a test.
)

Eventually I will reboot but I'm not going to allow AR to reboot just for this.

Robert
---

E/B

Robert:
Your suggestion to ditch AdAware seems to have won the day. Uninstalled
it and now the IE version opens as .pdf along with the other browers.
Thanks

:
[...]
: )
:
[...]
: > : Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:50:54 GMT
: > : Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
: > : X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
: > : X-UA-Compatible: IE=7
: > : pragma: no-cache
: > : cache-control: private
: > : Content-Disposition: attachment;filename=Tattler011910.pdf
: > : content-length: 1635547
: > : Content-Type: application/pdf; Charset=UTF-8
: > : Expires: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:10:54 GMT
: > : Cache-control: private
: > :
: > : %PDF-1.4
: > : %
: > :
: > : </Fiddler>
: > :
: > : However, I'm using IE8 to read this which would account for the
: > : X-UA-Compatible: IE=7
: > : header. I wouldn't expect an IE6 user to get that.
: > :
: > : I guess I forgot to tell you to click on the Reponse Headers
button
: > : but I think you found that anyway? Good work. ; )
: > :
: > :
: > : HTH
: > :
: > : Robert
: > : ---
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:

E/B

Thanks Bear. Appears I stumbled into a good situation.
Appreciate help of all.

: FWI, support for Ad-Aware 2008 ends on 31 January 2010. cf.
:
http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/company/blog/adaware-2008-discontinued-at-end-of-january
:
: E/B wrote:
: > Robert:
: > Your suggestion to ditch AdAware seems to have won the day.
Uninstalled
: > it and now the IE version opens as .pdf along with the other
browers.
: > Thanks
: >
: > : >>
: > : >>> The text of the original email I received which started all my
confusion
: >>> and instigated my cry for help is:
: >>>
: >>> "To view The Tattler (PDF format), please click the link below:
: >>> Tattler: 1-19-10"
: >>>
: >
"/club/page_navig.asp?CLNK=1&APC=FILELIB_DOWNLOAD&GRP=&NS=&FID=116541"
: >>>
: >>> Your latest comment: "I got a prompt to Open or Save. Clicking
Open
: >>>> caused it to open in Acrobat Reader. No sign of an aspwhile."
: >>> prompted me to go back to the beginning and I found the following
which
: >>> is the full sequence of what I have to do to gain access to the
..pdf
: >>> newsletter in IE6:
: >>>
: >>
[...]
: >> ---
: >>
: >>
: >>>
: >>> : >>>>
: >>> : >>>>> OK. Operating in the blind but here's my best description:
: >>>>>
: >>>>> - Disabled the Security item when you first suggested that
approach.
: >>>>> Sorry for not mentioning it; Security tab remains 'Disabled'.
: >>>>> - Here is one of the Fiddler2 WebSessions URL's copied from
the
: >>>>> long
: >>>>> list:
: >>>>
: >>>>>
: >>>
: >
[...]
: >>>> %
: >>>>
: >>>> </Fiddler>
: >>>>
: >>>> However, I'm using IE8 to read this which would account for the
: >>>> X-UA-Compatible: IE=7
: >>>> header. I wouldn't expect an IE6 user to get that.
: >>>>
: >>>> I guess I forgot to tell you to click on the Reponse Headers
button
: >>>> but I think you found that anyway? Good work. ; )
: >>>>
: >>>>
: >>>> HTH
: >>>>