New Boinc Version 5.4.9

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Excellent Mucks - these are the main 2 folks use :thumb:

I was wondering - is there anyway these can be hosted on here for a while so they can be downloaded directly by the team?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Excellent Mucks - these are the main 2 folks use :thumb:

I was wondering - is there anyway these can be hosted on here for a while so they can be downloaded directly by the team?
Yep, but Ian may need to err, up the anti for up-loads so we can do that.

In the meantime, anybody is welcome to email me for the 64bit version ... email is in my sig. ;)

user.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Mucks - I'll email you the SSE version as well, and perhaps you can send both out to those who request it?

One thing I noticed trying to send mine to someone - their AV or email settings were prevented the .exe file getting through.....

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Mucks - I'll email you the SSE version as well, and perhaps you can send both out to those who request it?

One thing I noticed trying to send mine to someone - their AV or email settings were prevented the .exe file getting through.....
ZIP IT ;)

I may receive it if I'm quick enough, but I also have OE set to delete .exe attachments ... try my google email.

muckshifter

Reaction score
LoL ... got it, had to rename it.

Dam files have the same name ... :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Basically the tweak increases the benchmarking of your PC so it claims more credit than it normally would - it does not make the units crunch faster.

By increasing the credit claimed, if you come up against equally high credit claiming PC's in your validation quorum, then you will get more WCG points.

This is particularly useful for lower spec PC's which otherwise would have a low benchmark.

It does not help you however if you come up against two low claiming PC's within the quorum, as you will end up with the middle score, regardless of credit claimed.

The best way to illustrate this is to go to WCG>Device Manager>Results Status and look at some of your validated results. Click on the work unit name, and it will show you how much you claimed, and how much granted along with details of the other two validating units.

Right... 4th go at replying, I kept getting interrupted and the page timed out!

I think I understand what you're syaing, Ady, and for a couple of my PCs it makes sense (standard P4 machines). Most of them, however, are the "HT" or "hyperthreading" version of the Intel P4. With the BOINC client that I'm running, each processor in a machine runs two work threads simultaneously, since the CPU appears to the Windows OS as two processors. The work units take longer than on a standard P4 (11-14 hours instead of 4-7), though twice as many are processed in a day.

When checking a work unit, I see (for example) four computers in the quorum group (why not an odd number, I don't know). The fastest machine ran the work unit in 5.5 hours and claimed 147 points. The slowest machine ran in 13 hours and claimed 62. Mine came in at 11.7 hours and claimed 67, which is what I got.

I'm guessing this tweak will help, since I am at the "low end" of the points claim, even though they aren't slow machines. It's fascinating how WCG does these calculations (and not really fair, though I'll be glad to take advantage of it!)

Thanks for the info!
FB

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I would suspect the machine that claimed 147 points was running an enhancement, but in this case it didn't do him much good as he came up against two slower ones, so the points granted was much lower.

Just recently they changed the validation policy, and now only send out 3 units for the validation quorum - they then send out a fourth later if there is a problem with one of the results, or one is timed out (they must be reported within a week now)

Hopefully the enhancement will boost your slower machines, and when they come up against faster ones in the quorum, they will benefit from a higher score.

I have sent those two clients to you via your krebs address :thumb:

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Hopefully the enhancement will boost your slower machines, and when they come up against faster ones in the quorum, they will benefit from a higher score.:thumb:

Thanks Ady! I have installed on several machines, and the benchmarks, at least, show distinct improvement (1425/1531 to 2994/4646 per "CPU" or "work unit processor" x4). We'll see what happens over the next few days as far as the work unit credits.

Based on these [miserable starting] numbers, I see that Intel hasn't improved their numeric processor in a while: the P3 Xeon benchmarks per MHz are just as slow as the P4/HT Xeon.

Cheers
FB

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hello ... looks like I cannot send out the .zip file via BT to Gmail and Gmail to Gmail don't like the zip file containing an .EXE

Sad sods inthey ... now how am I supposed to issue my viruses out if I cant send 'em in an email. Damn! :rolleyes:

IAN .... WE NEED TO HOST A COUPLE BOINC FILES

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How big is the file? If you make a sticky and attach it to the post it should work, although it may need to be zipped to attach.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
How big is the file? If you make a sticky and attach it to the post it should work, although it may need to be zipped to attach.
388KB already zipped ... and it was toooo big.

now it works ?????????

:p

EDIT

ZIP removed ... bad copy.

:rolleyes:

* could never get that virus to work anyway *

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
And heres the one for P3/AthlonXP machines:

EDIT: Remember this is the Tweak only, not the new Boinc Version ;)

Attachments

• BOINC_5.5.0_SSE.zip
    393.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Hello ... looks like I cannot send out the .zip file via BT to Gmail and Gmail to Gmail don't like the zip file containing an .EXE
Sad sods inthey ... now how am I supposed to issue my viruses out if I cant send 'em in an email. Damn! :rolleyes:

Sad indeed.

Maybe we're smarter than the computers... try renaming it to .ABC (the EXE or the ZIP), see what happens.

Cheers
FB

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
And heres the one for P3/AthlonXP machines:
Is this the new update tweak or a new new tweak?
Must say since the last tweak the returns are getting better:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
feckit said:
Is this the new update tweak or a new new tweak?
Must say since the last tweak the returns are getting better:thumb:
These are the 'new tweaks' to the new Bonkit ... ;)

user.gif

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
damn it, finally got round to doing this and theres no tweak
ranting.gif

Mucks is the one you posted for windows XP and P4 SSE2 ? i cant get it to extract :confused:

has anyone got a copy of the Win XP and SSE2 ?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Yep Muck's one is for windows P4/AMD64 - can't understand why it shouldn't extract - but if you PM me an email addy I'll send my copy to you :thumb:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i'll have another try

Edit: i re downloaded and just tried winrar and its telling me "unexpected end of archive"

tried Stuffit expander and thats just goes crazy and tried tugzip which extracts the files but i cant find them

PM on the way Ady

Last edited:

Ask a Question