New Boinc Clients Released - Includes an Windows 64Bit Client...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
New Recommended Boinc version 5.10.7 has just been released for all platforms (apart from Linux which is still in beta)

Windows Client

Windows 64Bit Client

New Features:

Grid based views.
Advanced preferences dialog.
Project list in the attach to project wizard.
Improved Windows Vista compatibility.

NOTE: BOINC may NOT start at startup if you are running Windows Defender (WinXP, WinXPx64, WinVista, WinVistax64). This issue should be resolved in a future version of BOINC. In order to have BOINC start automatically you'll need to install as a service. On Vista the user account will need to have administrative access to the system.

Mac OS X Client

New Features:

Grid based views.
Advanced preferences dialog.
Project list in the attach to project wizard.
An Uninstaller is now included with the Macintosh BOINC Manager distribution.

How to install.

1. Exit BOINC, and check its not running in task Manager.
2. Install the new version over the top of the old one. No need to uninstall the old version and you will not loose any work. It will just carry on from the old one.

For a more detailed install guide go to the BOINC Wiki found here

user.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
thanks Ady

I was running 5.9.3 which was a Beta for Vista, worked well, never a problem ... just installed 5.10.7

Why the installer wanted access to the Internet I don't know ... strange, but then this Battleship is battened down & on red alert for war anyway. :D

Indeed Windows Defender pops up noting the change, a simply 'permit' is all that is needed, no bother yet, but I ain't restarted.

I did not install as a service, really don't need to.

21/06/2007 11:41:30 am||General prefs: from World Community Grid (last modified 2007-05-29 10:09:04)
21/06/2007 11:41:30 am||Host location: home
21/06/2007 11:41:30 am||General prefs: no separate prefs for home; using your defaults
21/06/2007 11:41:30 am||Reading preferences override file
21/06/2007 11:41:30 am||Preferences limit memory usage when active to 1535.47MB
21/06/2007 11:41:30 am||Preferences limit memory usage when idle to 2763.84MB
21/06/2007 11:41:30 am||Preferences limit disk usage to 9.31GB
21/06/2007 11:42:10 am||Running CPU benchmarks
21/06/2007 11:42:11 am||Suspending computation - running CPU benchmarks
21/06/2007 11:42:42 am||Benchmark results:
21/06/2007 11:42:42 am|| Number of CPUs: 2
21/06/2007 11:42:42 am|| 2172 floating point MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU
21/06/2007 11:42:42 am|| 3783 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU
21/06/2007 11:42:43 am||Resuming computation
... can't remember the last 'score' recorded, but it looks good. :D

Need to reboot, just to see if it still works. ;)

EDIT:
Reboot, everything is fine. :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Bit of a daft question maybe, but I notice it says "boinc_5.10.7_windows_intelx86.exe" so, the reference to Intel doesn't mean that it won't work properly on Athlon... does it? :rolleyes: and just in case that question really is too silly, how please, does one install it as a service? Think I'm having a bit of a "slow" day here :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Bit of a daft question maybe, but I notice it says "boinc_5.10.7_windows_intelx86.exe" so, the reference to Intel doesn't mean that it won't work properly on Athlon... does it? :rolleyes: and just in case that question really is too silly, how please, does one install it as a service? Think I'm having a bit of a "slow" day here :D
No problem on my AMD, free advert for Intel I think ... ;)

NO, do not install as a service, just use the default install "recommended" although you may/will have to start the "blocked" program on any reboot. That way you keep the blue pill in your task bar.

It is not an inconvenience to me as I rarely restart this PC. ;)

I am talking Vista here ... :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh thank you Mucks, will go get that update now then :nod: It's good too, that it's happier with Vista, I shall update that PC too (when it's returned) - not that it wasn't working with Vista, I actually found it was running ok, but I'd rather feel that I'm using a more compatible version. :thumb:

Thanks also Ady, for telling us about the update :thumb: :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Just did the XP box ... no problems with the default install and no interference from Windows Defender.

Reboot fine.

:thumb:

mike047

DC Gypsy
Reaction score
When using this issue, check your prference tab, under "advanced". The default can be different than what you have listed at WCG.[ie, connect 0.1, memory usage may also be different.]

Not saying it will be wrong, just check:D I didn't like the defaults.

One +, you can force it to store "more" work under network usage: "additional work buffer".

crunch on Mates

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on that Mike :thumb:

As Mike says, the preferences in Boinc may be different to those you set over at WCG - if you would rather stick to the web-based preferences as I do, then hit the 'Clear tab'....

1182500971.jpg

Another thing that has caught my eye, is some crunchers over at XtremeSystems are reporting problems with this new version, it seems to be effecting overclocked machines, but its worth keeping a regular eye on your rigs to make sure its running properly for the first few days:

1. Explorer/Boinc dying - 4 instances.

2. WUs put into waiting state randomly and new WUs started - numerous instances.

3. Client unable to connect with server for upload - two instances.

Installed on 4 machines, Explorer shut down on one machine,
Thats a new one on me. NEVER saw that happen with any app!

Both my quads had crashed desktops this morning.. This has never happened before I installed this new boinc. Weird.

I restarted explorer but boinc had crashed as well. My machines usually just reboot if there is an issue.. So this is a bit confusing.. I know they are stable at their current speeds.

mike047

DC Gypsy
Reaction score
I have this on one box running QMC without issues,
AMD 3000 Clawhammer/512 ram. OC @ 2.5.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I would recommend that we don't install this yet - it has been placed back into 'Beta' whilst they iron out a few bugs.

Watch this space :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
I would recommend that we don't install this yet - it has been placed back into 'Beta' whilst they iron out a few bugs.

Watch this space :thumb:
huh! say what!!

Everybody here is probably already 'running' this update ... especially given the time this post has been here ... ;)

Still, I was running a previous Beta, this one don't make no difference ... it works.

:D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ha, ha, this is the first update i aint bothered with yet....Looks like a good call! :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Apologies - but its only just gone back into Beta, so I can't recommend it to those who haven't downloaded it yet.

However if folks are alrady using it without problems then just carry on...

Ask a Question