New Boinc Version 5.4.9

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
There is a new Boinc version out (5.4.9) which has some enhanced features such as better statistics graphs etc, and also you use your username and password to attach to WCG instead of the old long key.

However at this stage I would recommend we hold off upgrading (especially if you use the 'tweak') until we see how it performs :thumb:

There is a new recommended version of BOINC ( 5.4.9) available at http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php for Windows, Mac and Linux x86, replacing the old 5.2.13 version. I have been using it since this afternoon. It installs over the old package. I right-clicked on my BOINC icon and selected Exit to stop the program. Then I downloaded the installation package and double-clicked on it to install the new BOINC. I chose the type of installation (single user, multiple user or service), told it not to change my screensaver (since I use (blank)) and started it running. It picked up the work unit at the last check point and started crunching. Then I had to click several times on warnings my firewall threw up to allow communications. Everything has been running fine since then.

If anybody runs into problems with the new version, please let us know. Please state which BOINC version you are running when reporting any BOINC problems.

Lawrence

Added: Whoops. Don't upgrade just yet if you are using a proxy server. Here is a message from Rom Walton at http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=1582#15978
If you use a proxy server you should hold off on upgrading until we have
resolved an issue with NTLM authentication. We should have a fix
available in a few days.

:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers Ady! Going to hold off like you suggest, and then see what it's like :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
It won't do any harm sticking with the old one for a while, as the new one won't make crunching any faster - it is just cosmetic changes with a few new features.

I will test it out for a few days on one of my rigs and see how it goes, and also if it accepts the tweak :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
yeah,

I see it listed when I was redoing my Linux box ... I loaded the old version. ;)

Boinc ... ugh!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ya wussies - I have it installed on all my machines, runs perfect.

No bottle, you lot :p

muckshifter

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Ya wussies - I have it installed on all my machines, runs perfect.

No bottle, you lot :p
We is doing better than your lot on Boinc ...
happywave.gif

:p

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Stay as we are....

I've tried the new version - and it works fine.........however it will not accept the tweak we use, therefore the benchmarking will go back to standard.

I therefore suggest we hold fire with the old version until a new tweak is available.

We are losing nothing except slightly better statistic graphs and an easier way to attach - there is no performance advantage.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah cheers ady, I was wondering if it would let you tweak it......

You think there will be a new tweak? :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'll stick with what I have ... especially in Linux.
nod.gif

:D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
There no doubt will be - just don't know how long it will take....

Reaction score
I'm happy to stick with what i have, by points are climbing nicely nowadays:D

But thanks for trying it out Ady:thumb: Always good to see if a new version works better.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's a shame it doesn't work with this tweak that some of you are using but I will say the new version of Boinc solved a few problems for me.

Boinc now runs on a machine that the older version would not run on.

And I now no longer have a problem with Mailwasher. The older version of Boinc caused Mailwasher to throw up errors on all my machines. Since installing new version, this is no longer the case.

I've read of many people having had problems with old version now running new version sucessfully.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
And I now no longer have a problem with Mailwasher. The older version of Boinc caused Mailwasher to throw up errors on all my machines. Since installing new version, this is no longer the case.
Thats weird - I have Mailwasher and have no problems - what version have you got?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Thats weird - I have Mailwasher and have no problems - what version have you got?

Not sure of the version numbers but I have two machines with latest version on and one machine with a much older version. The older version doesn't look so flash and lets you use the space bar to view the e-mail whilst it's still on the sender's server.

The newer version doesn't allow you to do that, you have to buy the 'Pro' version to enable that feature.

The worst problem, common to both versions, was that Mailwasher kept telling me I wasn't connected to the Internet, I had to open a browser first before Mailwasher would work.

Since installing new version of Boinc, as I said - no probs.

I've read of many people having problems with old version of Boinc and the strange thing is there don't seem to be any common linking factors as to why that should be.

All I know is new version seems to have overcome lots of probs for different people.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Looks like they've cured alot of bugs then - and as you say different folks seemed to have different problems, with little in common.

I suppose I've been lucky with no problems on any of my rigs - and I think most at PCR are the same.

I'm using Mailwasher Pro 4.1.7.6 - maybe there's a problem with the free version :confused:

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Updated Tweak Now Available

There is now a updated tweak for this new version Boinc - download the correct version from HERE

Exit Boinc Manager
Right click the downloaded Zip file
Select 'Extract to' or similar
Navigate to the program files/boinc folder
Click extract, and when it asks do you want to overwrite existing files, click 'Yes to All'
Re-start Boinc Manager

I have tested it and it seems to work fine, my slowest PC benchmarks went from 1535/2608 to 2026/8414 :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Done ... forgot to benchmark first. :blush:

Nevermind, we'll see what happens. :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cheers Ady, I upgrade tonight when i get home. :thumb:

Ask a Question