New Boinc Version 5.4.9

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Benchmarks for BOINC 5.4.9 Tweaked. :)

Old BOINC was around 7000 Dhrystone, i forget what the Whetstone was.

New BOINC

Before
2023 Whetstone
3429 Dhrystone

After
2680 Whetstone
11208 Dhrystone

:D:thumb:

Reaction score
After updating of BIONC and tweaking.

PC 1 benchmark

Before 1862> 3150

After 2485> 10056:eek:

PC 2 benchmark

Before 1783> 2968

After 2428> 10154:eek:

PC 3 benchmark

Before 1461>2456
After 1889>7926:eek:
:D :user:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
MJW points credited today = 0

Was a bit peeved to see that this morning ... had a look and every result for the past 3 days is ... Pending. :rolleyes:

:(

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
There is now a updated tweak for this new version Boinc - download the correct version from HERE

Just FYI, I get a 404 on the P4/AMD 64 link (5.5.0 Windows SSE2). Probably OK for Linux users.

Cheers
FB

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Fred B said:
Just FYI, I get a 404 on the P4/AMD 64 link (5.5.0 Windows SSE2). Probably OK for Linux users.

Cheers
FB
Thanks for pointing it out Fred - I get it too :(

There must be a problem with the link at the site - hopefully it won't take long to fix.

I have the 5.5.0 Windows SSE tweak for P3/AthlonXP - if anyone needs it PM me with your email and I will send it to you :thumb:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
if anyone needs it PM me with your email and I will send it to you :thumb:

I apparently don't have enough privs to PM you. Any other option?

thanks!
FB

muckshifter

Reaction score
Fred B said:
I apparently don't have enough privs to PM you. Any other option?

thanks!
FB
Make one more post ... but I'll get Ian to sort it for you. :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Sorry Fred, I forgot about that :blush: - I will see if I can get the Admin to sort it out ;)

*Its that echo again Mucks :lol:

Reaction score
Hmmm crunching

My stats for Boinc seem to be high one day, low the next.:(
Added the tweak Ady mentioned and all seems ok, so will plod on, i just want points, points mean prizes, er i mean wcg points:D Good to see you getting some good returns Fred B, bit of a battle between you & Ady, who's winning:rolleyes:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ah the joys of Boinc feckit - I'm afraid its just the way it is - some days more results get validated than others, nothing we can do about it I'm afraid :rolleyes:

I think Freds has the edge, but the competition is good
nod.gif
- looks like I'm going to have to throw another log on the fire ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Murdoch ... you are part of the Community here @ PCReview, we will not hold it against you if you ain't a cruncher.

post where you like ... :thumb:

* but we'll keep pestering you about crunching though *

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ditto - and in answer to your question murdoch - "Yes" ;)

:D

Reaction score
feckit said:
My stats for Boinc seem to be high one day, low the next.:(
Added the tweak Ady mentioned and all seems ok, so will plod on, i just want points, points mean prizes, er i mean wcg points:D Good to see you getting some good returns Fred B, bit of a battle between you & Ady, who's winning:rolleyes:

I'm curious to see what this tweak is, really. This is the first I've heard of it, and now I'd like to know what it does.

I am still having trouble with one particular machine (a dual P4HT Xeon server) not running BOINC anymore unless I'm logged in. Up until the last security update, BOINC was running fine as a service, but now it won't. I'm thinking I will have to reinstall it, and I happened to see Ady's thread on a new version available, so I wanted to get the latest - then I started reading about a tweak, and that caught my eye.

Perhaps now I can reach my personal goal of being in the WCG top 50 every day. Ady's still got lots more points, though I am buying parts for another machine whenever there's a good sale - a couple of weeks ago, I got 2GB DDR400 CL2 with heat spreader for about 70 GBP, and this week there's a 300GB SATA 3.0 HDD with 16M cache for under 50.

I do understand what you mean about up and down days - I know it has to do with larger work units, and the completion schedules, but it is frustrating to see the graph shrink after a good run.

Cheers
FB

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Basically the tweak increases the benchmarking of your PC so it claims more credit than it normally would - it does not make the units crunch faster.

By increasing the credit claimed, if you come up against equally high credit claiming PC's in your validation quorum, then you will get more WCG points.

This is particularly useful for lower spec PC's which otherwise would have a low benchmark.

It does not help you however if you come up against two low claiming PC's within the quorum, as you will end up with the middle score, regardless of credit claimed.

The best way to illustrate this is to go to WCG>Device Manager>Results Status and look at some of your validated results. Click on the work unit name, and it will show you how much you claimed, and how much granted along with details of the other two validating units.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Murdoch ... you are part of the Community here @ PCReview, we will not hold it against you if you ain't a cruncher.

post where you like ... :thumb:

* but we'll keep pestering you about crunching though *
My PC was built by Feckit:( Well OK it was done on a tight budget because at the time i wanted a pc cheaply:rolleyes: OK i'm tight:eek: But my main problem is i'm not on broadband and sometimes my electricity is via a generator due to living in a rural location, it has been known to blow thinks up, for those items without a surge protector on it.

So probably will not become a cruncher, but i see my role as supporting Feckit with my valuable advice:rolleyes: mostly on beer.

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
murdoch said:
My PC was built by Feckit:( Well OK it was done on a tight budget because at the time i wanted a pc cheaply:rolleyes: OK i'm tight:eek: But my main problem is i'm not on broadband and sometimes my electricity is via a generator due to living in a rural location, it has been known to blow thinks up, for those items without a surge protector on it.

So probably will not become a cruncher, but i see my role as supporting Feckit with my valuable advice:rolleyes: mostly on beer.
Quick, we got him, get feckit here now ...
laughingsmiley.gif

Actually, it may be better to start a new thread on this ... :thumb:

Reaction score
Murdoch was customer from hell:rolleyes: but cost was low due to only wanting something to check emails with & the odd internet search's. May be one day he will dip in to his pocket:eek: & upgrade, may be in about 5 years! Happy for him to provide technical support on the beer front:D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
News on Crunch3r's Boinc Tweak

As Fred has pointed out, the link to crunch3r's boinc tweaks has been taken down - the link now goes to the Einstein@home project, and it would appear from a post from him today over there, that he has switched over to this project from Seti, and therefore his optimised clients are no longer available :(

I have the latest Windows 5.5.0 SSE client for P3/AthlonXP stored on my PC, and am happy to email it to anyone (PM me) - does anyone still have the Windows SSE2 version for P4/AMD64 stored, or any of the other new ones (Linux etc) - to help distribute to members?

*Edit: Heres what I've just found posted over at SETI:
Hello,

It's not quite easy for me to write this, to honest to you all i'm writing this now with a tear running from my eye.

It's been a fantastic time here for quite a while, since things have changed for the bad.

That's why i'm taking the consequences and have to say god bye to you all.

Take care of yourself and keep on crunching.

Good by SETI.

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Yep, I have the 64bit for Windows SSE2 version (389kb zip) ... must admit, never bothered with the Linux tweek, so I don't have that one. :)

user.gif

Ask a Question