networked PCs, one copy of WC3

Kye

Reaction score
Hi,

i have looked everywhere, but i cant find anything about it. I have one copy of WC3 and the expansion. I have a crossover network on the twos PCs. One has WC3 installed and my cousin plays it often.

Can i use the same copy of the game, install it on this PC, and me and my cousin play on the internet using the same copy? or do i need too buy two copies?

Kye

Reaction score
whats WC3?

generally when you buy any software whether it be games/apps/operating system you only get a license to use it on one machine at a time. so in answer to your question you will need to buy a copy of the game for each machine you want to run it on at the same time.

If in doubt read the license agreement or contact the manufacturer.

James

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't know the legal answer to this but if a game is designed to be played over a LAN, surely they don't expect you to buy a copy for every machine on the Network?

Like I say, I don't know the answer, but I do know that my one copy of Call Of Duty runs very well on my Network.

Good luck with Warcraft 3 Kye, sorry I don't know the answer.

Reaction score
Battlefield 1942 works fine using one copy on 4 machines to play on the local network

BUT

You cant play it on the internet as the CD key can't be in use on more than one machine at any given time

I would assume most games are the same...

Kye

Reaction score
You need two CD-keys, two copies of the game, but the shared IP works. Although, from what i was told...warcraft for example, that it looks like somone has two copies of the game, and using one and using the other for a bot.

Apart from that, as long as you have two copies, a crossover network lets you play on both computers on the internet :)

Reaction score
well wc3 is a blizz game.. which means more anti-hack mods implemented to be a pain is the a$$. (or stop illeagle trade, whichever you would rather see.) heres the thing, blizz and any games on battle.net use registered cd keys. you can copy the cd to play n both pcs but w/o a legit cd key you wont be able to have both computers online at the same time. (i.e. one can play single while other is online.) also. you cant use normal cd burning programs to copy or burn the game. why? because normal ones are programmed to ignore (not included in code transfered.) errors fo say... a music cd where it would have chirps or weird noises in the background. Blizz to counter act copying puts built in errors on the cd... if you use a cd to play it and it doesnt have those errors, it will say. cd not in cd-rom and 3-4 others. heres comes another anti-hack crap they throw in. on most blizz games you cant change the cd key through the registry, hince un-installing and reinstalling every time. they hide the files in system files which most os's auto-hide. so you need another program to change it. gimme some to find that and i'll post a link for that when i can. this goes with any games that have this issue. if you dont want to bother, just burn it with gameXcopy and then walk threw your local store and open a box and type the cd key into your cell phone... just another idea. good luck with that.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Kye said:
Hi,

i have looked everywhere, but i cant find anything about it. I have one copy of WC3 and the expansion. I have a crossover network on the twos PCs. One has WC3 installed and my cousin plays it often.

Can i use the same copy of the game, install it on this PC, and me and my cousin play on the internet using the same copy? or do i need too buy two copies?

Kye
You'll need to read the License ... :p

LAN games usually allow you to "pass the CD" to play over your home network. :D

On-Line games usually need a separate "Key" ... in other words; you need to buy as many Originals as you have PCs :(

Kye

Reaction score
I brought another copy of the expansion, i already had two copies of the first game.

i was more worried about the IP rather then the CD-Key, if i needed too buy another copy, i would do it easily, but if somthing IP related came up, it would mean me and my cousin would have too go without warcraft, while i e-mail blizzard and that.

me and my cousin had a LAN 1v1, and also a custom game on-line. no lag at all, same speed as it was when swapping the USB for the modem.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
You dont need to have two cds to play a game on a network, like Diablo 2 all we do is switch cds when it prompts you to.:)

Reaction score
actually, the ip on wc3 wont have anything to do with it, no blizz game nor battle.net servers require a diff IP. however, cd-keys matter when you try to play online, you need to either buy a game for the cd-key or have one of you play single player and the other can be online, this is true for diablo 2 and wc3. as far as lan goes, you only need a legit cd-key. not diff ones.

Reaction score
Moco, talking as a mod here, could you please remove the bullsh*t from your signature please :) Thanks

Reaction score
heh, wasnt sure if that would throw up any beef. i woulda asked in an email but security settings at work dont allow that. this any better now? if implying the word is a prob i can just remove it....

Reaction score
playing wc3 multiplayer

if you have them on a lan, and just want to play locally, you don't need multiple copies. like all other bliz games, you don't actually need the cd in to play, just to start the game. so this lets you pass the cd to the other person and let him start it, and then just start a lan game.

***edited***

if you want to play with just the two of you, even if you aren't on a lan, you just have to setup a vpn server and have your friend connect to it. again google to learn how to do this. once you are connected by vpn, you can start a lan game and he will see it on his list.

for playing on the internet, you MUST have two copies of both roc and tft. it checks BOTH keys even if you are playing tft.

***edited***

as for the IP issue, your computer must have the correct ports open only in order to host games on bnet. 6112 if i remember correctly. guess how to learn more about this? ;) just google "warcraft 3 port forwarding" if you are using a router. if you just have two ethernet cards in the main computer and internet sharing to allow the other access, only the main computer will be able to host games. that should be the only problem, after you have two copies of both games.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited for appearing to condone software piracy.

Ask a Question