Physical copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider for PC!

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I have to do this rant!

Why is it so damn hard in the UK to find a physical copy of this game for PC?! :wall:

I've been searching since the game was released on the 28th January this year. I'm looking for a physical copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider, and I still haven't found one!
I'm old skool, so I hate digital downloads.

Firstly, although BT Infinity is fast, it's not that fast, so you'll still be waiting for at least two hours for the game to download. Installing the game from multiple DVDs is still going to be faster.
Secondly, I want to have something tangible when I buy a game, so that I can hold it and feel it. You know what I'm saying dawg, like how you get the beautiful box artwork, an actual physical game manual, and that "new game smell" ! :lol:

Rise of the Tomb Raider physical copies definitely do exist for PC. But they seem to be rarer than the Holy Grail.

rise-of-the-tomb-raider-pc-dvd.jpg

While I was in Fuerteventura recently, I went to a GAME store over there, and even they didn't have it!!
I don't get it. I have a physical copy of Tomb Raider's 2013 reboot, as these are easy to find. So why is it so hard to get a physical copy of this game on PC?! At this rate, it'll be released on PS4, and by that time, I'd probably still be looking for a physical copy on PC! :eek:

I don't really want to import one from a non-EU country, but it looks like this is could be the only way.
Importing is not ideal, because an imported copy might not be in English, or worse, there is the possibility that it might be region locked.

Has anybody here managed to find a physical copy of this game?
If so, where did you get it from?

- Capt. Jack Sparrow.

Last edited:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Do you have a Grainger Games near you? Pretty sure I've seen it there :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How strange, I can't find a DVD version in the UK either - perhaps they just don't do it. TBH, I'm the exact opposite nowadays and much prefer digital versions - it saves lots of physical space, and it's really easy to ask steam to download games when starting from afresh (IMO anyway).

The good news is that there is a special edition version of that game being released soon, it's available for preorder on DVD from Amazon (but it is expensive!):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rise-Tomb-Raider-Year-Celebration/dp/B01IR6C01U/

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Do you have a Grainger Games near you? Pretty sure I've seen it there :)
Grainger-who? Is it bad that I've actually never heard of them? Their website isn't very good, it says an error occured when I attempted to search for Rise of the Tomb Raider. I don't think there's one near us either.
The good news is that there is a special edition version of that game being released soon, it's available for preorder on DVD from Amazon (but it is expensive!):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rise-Tomb-Raider-Year-Celebration/dp/B01IR6C01U/
Nice find, Ian. This version looks like it actually will go to retail, and includes all of the previously released DLC. That means I don't have to pay an extra £20 for a season pass, just to get the DLC! :D

It looks like GAME will sell this version at retail. Although it won't be released until October, I guess it's worth the wait if it means that I can get all of the DLC included with the game. Perhaps I should go down to my local GAME store and pester them some more, to see if they'll stock it once it's released.
Digital FTW?! :rolleyes: I hope you're kidding...
Thanks, but I'd rather spend a little more and get something that I can actually touch! :drool:

- Capt. Jack Sparrow.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Speed of installation.... I'd wager it's faster to install ROTTR from downloading via BT Infinity than waiting since January....

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Speed of installation.... I'd wager it's faster to install ROTTR from downloading via BT Infinity than waiting since January....
Well the folks at Square Enix should have released a physical copy to retail in the first place! Choice is always good. If that was the case, I would have won your wager! :p

Not in the slightest.
It's not for me thanks. As I said, I'm old skool, and until the prices of digital download fall below £15, then I'll reconsider. It's better to have the choice of both.

There's only one game that I have ever downloaded, and that was Life Is Strange. Steam did this awesome sale, and sold it at £8.99 for all 5 episodes. I made a DVD copy of it immediately afterwards anyway. Good game by the way! :thumb:

But as @Ian has already mentioned, PC should get a physical copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration in October. That sorts me right out, and as all of the DLC is included, it was worth the wait.

Now all I need to do is to plan an 8 core PC upgrade for The Black Pearl. That means a new motherboard, faster RAM and a new CPU! :cheers: I might even throw in an SSD while I'm here, as a new motherboard means reinstalling Windows 7 from scratch, so I might as well. :cool:

- Capt. Jack Sparrow.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My goodness, I thought I was old but it would appear dinosaurs come in all shapes, sizes and configurations ;)

Having said that I've often wondered what would happen to the games collection I've paid for if, for whatever reason, Steam or other digital download suppliers should go bust.

I actually have about 25 games on disk in cases stored away that are completely redundant as Steam run them now. About the only advantage in keeping them is a quicker install should I ever need to reinstall any of them.

But what I should really do, quite honestly, is throw them all away.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
My goodness, I thought I was old but it would appear dinosaurs come in all shapes, sizes and configurations ;)

Having said that I've often wondered what would happen to the games collection I've paid for if, for whatever reason, Steam or other digital download suppliers should go bust.

I actually have about 25 games on disk in cases stored away that are completely redundant as Steam run them now. About the only advantage in keeping them is a quicker install should I ever need to reinstall any of them.

But what I should really do, quite honestly, is throw them all away.
Don't throw them away! That's what your attic is for! You can show your children how we used to get games in the 2000s. :lol:

But seriously, even with physical copies nowadays, they generally still rely on Steam, so we'd all be in the same boat, digital or physical. I just can't see Steam going bankrupt anytime soon though. :thumb:

- Capt. Jack Sparrow.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Good work! How much did it cost you in the end?
It wasn't cheap, as it was from GAME RETAIL, so that means I had to pay the RRP, which is £34.99.

That's still cheaper than the PS4 launch RRP, by the way!
As expected, all current DLC up until this point is included, so I'm happy!

All I gotta do now is fast-track that big PC upgrade I was talking about in my other thread. I'm not going to bother even opening the shrink wrap until then. There's no HDD space on my PC to install it right now and the system requirements want a hefty 40GB! :eek: (But this doesn't even come close to the current record holder for the most disk space used, which is The Evil Within. This game weighed in at 75GB and installed from 4 dual layer DVDs!!)

Anyway, by the sounds of the packaging, there's more than one DVD inside this box! Hooray for no digital downloads!! :D

- Capt. Jack Sparrow.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I played previous version of Tomb Raider and it don't packs the action Resident Evil has. Now days I am playing Crysis as graphics offered by this game looks realistic.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I played previous version of Tomb Raider and it don't packs the action Resident Evil has. Now days I am playing Crysis as graphics offered by this game looks realistic.
Not sure if troll or not. Either ways, fail troll is fail.

Resident Evil is a completely different type of story to the Tomb Raider series. I was looking into getting hold of the Resident Evil series, but I'm not sure if the environmental horror is as good as what The Evil Within offered. The problem is that Resident Evil seems to love firing jumpscares at players, but that just annoys me and then I end up not bothering to play it again. Whereas The Evil Within truely was terrifying, just because of the environments created within the game. Guess that's why it's a 65GB install!

Tomb Raider 2013 had a great storyline, so I look forward to seeing what Rise of the Tomb Raider has to offer along with all of the DLC packs included.

Crysis seemed too Call of Duty-ish to me. I could never get into the storyline on Crysis, the only thing which I really enjoyed about it was on the first one, the "Sandbox 2" game editor was included which is no longer available for free, but it was fun to mess about with. Also in the first Crysis, the multiplayer was dreadful, the moment I tried to join any game server (even my own LAN server), I'd be booted straight back to the menu with the message "Kicked from server.". Okay, how about tell me why I was kicked from the server? Very unhelpful. Regardless, I played Crysis 1, Crysis Warhead and Crysis 2 before giving up on the series. I was provided with a free copy of Crysis 3 which was included with an AMD graphics card, but I've never played it, probably because it wants me to install the EA Origin crapware which I really don't want to do.

- Capt. Jack Sparrow.

Ask a Question