Network printer added twice--can't delete

Reaction score
Somehow, one of my network printers is listed twice in the Settings/Printer utility. Both have a status of "Access denied, unable to connect". They also both show up in application Print drop downs, but any print jobs sent to either one just go off into the ether.

But here's the real problem: I can't delete either one. If I click on either one, right or left click, Explorer has a fatal error and closes. Right click is immediate, and left click is after I then pick one of the menu headings. I also have to restore my Active Desktop half the time.

Anyone know of a way to remove this printer? I'll worry about re-adding later.

(Our contract IT guy says he will need to rebuild the machine, but I would really rather not. It took me weeks to get everything set back up when this machine was installed.)

Thanks.

Reaction score
Update:

Never mind, I have to rebuild.

Cause: apparently file corruption somewhere in the profile. Our IT guy came in, and was able to delete both instances of the printer while signed in as an admin. But the problem was still there. He deleted my profile (I think), but the problem was still there. He then ran Disk Clean, and everything was solved.

Oh well. I learned a few things like keeping Active Destop turned off, and dumping everything on my Desktop and all my net Favorites to a temporary server folder before rebuilding. Now, it's mainly a matter of recustomizing all my toolbars in Excel, etc.

Ask a Question