Network poling

G

Hell
I have 2 computers connected to a D-Link DI-604 router hub. One computer has a clean install of XP-Pro and the other Windows98SE upgraded to XP-Pro. In its WindowsSE condition it was connected via net/bui to another computer. This protocol was not removed until after the upgrade.
Both computers can connect to the internet (thru the DI-604) but can not see each other. I have tried many many times and followed countless instructions. Obviously there must be a "simple" fix but I have not found it yet
With my latest attempt at connecting the two computers I now find that my Zone Alarm is making frequent connections to ??? From my "Local Area Connection Status" I find it incrementing the sent / received at the same time this Zone Alarm activity takes place. From "someplace" I read that this activity is due to Network Poling and happens ever 3 minutes.
As I am only on a 2 computer network (that can not even see each other) do I need this continuous distraction? How can I turn it off
And........ if someone could point me to a "how to" network 2 computers via a DI-604 with "both" computers independently connecting to the internet I would be most grateful
And........ at the risk of getting even more spam.... feel free to mail direct to r2 (e-mail address removed) ( Please remove the single space behind the 2 and use something recognizable in the subject).

Thanks for any advice or hel
Ralph

C

Chuck

Hello
I have 2 computers connected to a D-Link DI-604 router hub. One computer has a clean install of XP-Pro and the other Windows98SE upgraded to XP-Pro. In its WindowsSE condition it was connected via net/bui to another computer. This protocol was not removed until after the upgrade.
Both computers can connect to the internet (thru the DI-604) but can not see each other. I have tried many many times and followed countless instructions. Obviously there must be a "simple" fix but I have not found it yet.
With my latest attempt at connecting the two computers I now find that my Zone Alarm is making frequent connections to ??? From my "Local Area Connection Status" I find it incrementing the sent / received at the same time this Zone Alarm activity takes place. From "someplace" I read that this activity is due to Network Poling and happens ever 3 minutes.
As I am only on a 2 computer network (that can not even see each other) do I need this continuous distraction? How can I turn it off?
And........ if someone could point me to a "how to" network 2 computers via a DI-604 with "both" computers independently connecting to the internet I would be most grateful.
And........ at the risk of getting even more spam.... feel free to mail direct to r2 (e-mail address removed) ( Please remove the single space behind the 2 and use something recognizable in the subject).

Thanks for any advice or help
Ralph

Ralph,

Asked here, answered here. For everybody's benefit.

Here are a couple websites with useful tutorials:
http://www.cablesense.com/
http://www.homenethelp.com/

Are you running both Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Printer Sharing
for Microsoft Networks (Local Area Connection - Properties), on both computers?
Do you have shares setup on both?

Are you running NetBIOS Over TCP/IP (Local Area Connection - Properties - TCP/IP
- Properties - Advanced - WINS) on both computers?

Make sure the browser service is running on each computer. Control Panel -
Administrative Tools - Services. Verify that the Computer Browser service is
started.

From each computer, verify connectivity with the other:
1) Ping the other by name.
2) Ping the other by ip address.
3) Ping itself by name.
4) Ping itself by ip address.
Report success / failure of each of 8 pings.

From each computer, verify shares visibility (use actual name / address of each
computer as appropriate):
Start - Run then:
1) \\ThisComputerByName
2) \\ThisComputerByIPAddress
3) \\OtherComputerByName
4) \\OtherComputerByIPAddress
Report visibility of shares / error displayed in each test (8 tests total).

Can you provide some examples of the ip address(es) that ZA is reporting?

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ask a Question