Neswreader in Outlook 2003...

Ismael

Hello,

I am trying to enable the newsgroup reader in Outlook 2003 but I having
difficulty. I am running WinXP Pro with service pack 2 installed. I've
also installed all required updates for WinXP Pro and Office 2003.
I've read the following from Microsoft Office Outlook help:
The first time you use the newsreader, you must add the News command to the
Go menu.

1.. Add the News command to the Go menu.
How?

1.. On the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options
that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then
SHIFT+F10.), click the Toolbar Options arrow .
2.. Point to Add or Remove Buttons, and then click Customize.
3.. Click the Commands tab.
4.. In the Categories list, click Go.
5.. In the Commands list, click News, and drag it, without releasing the
mouse, until it rests over the Go menu. When the menu displays a list of
commands, point to where you want the command to appear, and then release
the mouse.
2.. Click the Go menu, and then click News.
The Outlook on my computer does not have the "ADD OR REMOVE BUTTONS" in
"TOOLBAR OPTIONS". Any suggestions?

Thanks to all who reply,

Ismael

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Posted here daily:
To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel |
Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If
OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch
it, clear the "Always perform this check..." box and then click the No
button.

Ismael

The default newsreader was already set to Outlook Express and when I click
on the drop down arrow beside "NEWSGROUPS:" there is no other option to
select other than Outlook Express, but beside "E-MAIL:" in the drop down box
I can select either "Microsoft Office Outlook", "Hotmail", "MSN Explorer",
and "Outlook Express". Currently it's set to "Microsoft Office Outlook".
Any other suggestions?

Ismael

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Ismael said:
[...]

Then clarify the problem you are having. You have no need for the "Add
Remove Buttons" command. Use Customize... then the Command Tab to access the
News button.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Ismael said:
[...]

Is it correct that MS outlook does not have a integrated newsreader and so
we have to creating a pointer (shortcut) to Outlook Express in order to use
the newsreader? If that's the case then I was able to add the pointer
(shortcut) to the tool bar and when I click on it Outlook Express opens.

Ismael

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

Correct. All the "News" command does is open OE in "news only" mode.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]