Outlook 2003 as News reader

DrJoel

I tried to make Outlook 2003 my Newsreader, but am unable. Outlook doesn't
even show in IE---->Internet options----->Programs------>Newsreader. I tried
to do the drag thing as below, but no luck. Anyone have any ideas?
1.. Add the News command to the Go menu.
How?

1.. On the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options
that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, click Customize on
the Tools menu, and then click the Toolbars tab.), click the Toolbar Options
arrow .
2.. Point to Add or Remove Buttons, and then click Customize.
3.. Click the Commands tab.
4.. In the Categories list, click Go.
5.. In the Commands list, click News, and drag it, without releasing the
mouse, until it rests over the Go menu. When the menu displays a list of
commands, point to where you want the command to appear, and then release
the mouse.
2.. Click the Go menu, and then click News.

Diane Poremsky

To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel |
Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If
OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch
it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button.

You may need to reset the menu or toolbar using Tools, customize.
http://faq.outlookmvps.org/archives/000710.html

Ron

What do you think of newsgator for Outlook? Have been messing with it, but
it leaves alot to be desired.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

DrJoel said:
[...]

I use it to download messages from groups I only read (not post to) so I can
browse them later - but the posting addin leaves much to be desired. If the
developer of the posting addin can get it to post per RFC standards, it'll
be sweet.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

DrJoel said:
[...]

I have tried the methods listed above with no luck. I have been able to
create a shortcut to OE news, but I would like the shortcut to be accessible
from Outlook 2003. Is there a way to do that.

Diane Poremsky said:
[...]

Although I can't help you specifically, I can tell you that, even if you are successful adding that news button to Outlook, it really does not make Outlook your newsreader. All that does is allow you to use Outlook Express as your newsreader. That button opens Outlook Express, which then acts as your newsreader. If, like me, you want to actually make Outlook your newsreader, you'll have to look elsewhere. That is what I am searching for. I did, however, find software that plugs into and becomes part of Outlook, which does make Outlook your newsreader. It's called and you can find it at http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/nntp/ and it cost $24. I'm still trying to find a free software fix.

H Gohel

Diane said:
nothing in life is free...

Atleast your tips are free ;)

I like that IMAP is included in OL2003, but no news is quite a let-down.
I'm using Mozilla/Outlook Express for NNTP.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Newslook is pretty good... but after using the various news addins, I'm not
sure I really want news in Outlook. Threading and viewing is easier in OE
and since its a separate store, the pst is smaller.

IMAP might be free but you get what you pay for. <g> I use it for several
accounts, but OE handles IMAP better. (to paraphrase another poster -
'Outlook's IMAP support sucks'.)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]